Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

SafeRest Encasements?

(9 posts)
  1. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 22 2013 22:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I've seen a couple posts in the past from people asking about the SafeRest encasements, but no real feedback/response from anyone about the quality of these encasements, so, here I am, asking that question again.

I know the top recommended brand seems to be the Allerzip Protect-A-Bed encasements, and I'll agree, the zipper and endstop on those look to be of pretty good quality. But I can get TWO SafeRests for the price of a single Protect-A-Bed, so...

The SafeRests have also been independently tested by Snell, but, I can't find the actual test report for the Protect-A-Beds, so I'm not sure if the test procedures were the same. Thoughts from y'all? Pro and non?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 3:24:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The SafeRests have also been independently tested by Snell, but, I can't find the actual test report for the Protect-A-Beds, so I'm not sure if the test procedures were the same. Thoughts from y'all? Pro and non?

Can you link to the SafeRest data?

There's a post about the Protect-a-bed data linked from the encasements page.
    Here it is-- the videos are an Entomological Society of America conference presentation from Richard Cooper on his tests of the Protect-a-bed Allerzip encasements.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 3:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey nobugs, I did link to the Snell report in the last paragraph, but here it is again, more clearly: http://www.saferest.com/assets/images/saferest_certification.pdf

And right, I saw those videos as well, but I was wondering if there was an equivalent Snell report for the Protect-A-Beds. I don't think there were, so it's kind of hard to compare when the tests are different.

That said, I suspect one of the main differences between these other encasements and the Protect-A-Beds are that the Protect-A-Beds are probably the only ones that still work if the zipper is slightly open.

4. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 11:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, just my experience here....

I purchased the SafeRest encasements last fall for mattress, box springs, and pillows. I was getting bitten but never had a serious infestation. Once putting on the encasements, I have not gotten bitten at all (knock on wood).

It's been almost a year since they were on. I thought they were good quality - the zipper was unbelievably small (to keep nymphs in) but I did not have a problem getting it zipped. There was velcro over the end to help hold it shut. The size was just right for my bed, although the mattress cover was a little big. (My matttress is an odd height so I had to go one size up).

The encasements were not too hot this summer and have held up well. However, I am VERY careful not to tear them... there's no activity allowed on my bed except sleeping. My cats are NOT allowed in the bedroom, either, because they have front claws and are not too discriminating on what they sharpen on. I miss sleeping with them so much.

I also took some time to prepare the frame so the encasement did not rip when we put it onto the frame - I taped down anything sharp on the frame and on the box springs themselves.

My only concern/complaint was with the pillow covers. There seemed to be a gap at the end where the zipper closed. I felt a bug may have been able to get in or out, so I sealed it shut with hot glue. (I could not exist without duck tape and a hot glue gun!)

Of course, it has not been a year so I have not taken them off to wash them. Don't know if I will take them off because I had to get help getting them on and I live alone.

Just my opinion, but I like them and was pleased. Hope that helps!

5. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 13:27:48
    #

Login to Send PM

However, I am VERY careful not to tear them... there's no activity allowed on my bed except sleeping.

Well that's ever so slightly disappointing! I wonder why these things aren't made stronger. Clearly the market wants stronger encasements...

I also took some time to prepare the frame so the encasement did not rip when we put it onto the frame - I taped down anything sharp on the frame and on the box springs themselves.

Yeah, I ordered some felt tape along with the encasements, so I'll probably be adding these along all the contact points between the wooden supports, along where the staples on the box spring are, and so on. I just hope the tape doesn't provide extra harborages for any possible future bugs

Of course, it has not been a year so I have not taken them off to wash them.

On that note, did you ever wash the encasements when they first arrived? I want to do a hot wash and dry (because the thought of not is worrisome), but the actual care instructions seem to suggest they wouldn't fare well in hot anything (I've heard reports of some encasements melting)

6. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 15:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible that the SafeRest encasements are quite strong - it's just that I am paranoid and rather broke. After the 18 months are up, I may be a little less cautious. I did not think they were thin or cheap, I was just being super over-cautious (paranoid).

I had used duck tape on my frame, but the felt tape probably would have been better as it would have provided better padding. I'm not sure about extra harboring space... hopefully not!! I also dusted lightly with DE on the frame so if anyone did try to get between the frame and the box springs, they would be going through it.

I'll have to check at home, but I seem to remember the directions stating not to get the encasement too hot. Not to sound gross, but no, I took the risk and did not wash or dry them. They came completely sealed in plastic, so I felt fairly safe, although I will say I inspected them. Eggs would have been nearly impossible to see since it was white and the top was terry cloth, but I did not find any dark spots, no bugs, etc. Also, since I was worried about melting them, I decided the dryer was out and I didn't want to wait for it to dry on the line (and possibly pick up visitors).

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 16:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a few ideas for a rigorous and vigorous testing protocol for encasements but I fear I am not enough of a celebrity entomologist to get them to cover the costs of the experimental setup in the Maldives

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 19:07:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Brilliant. Setting up an experimental bed bug island - and if things go horribly wrong, well, the islands are supposed to go underwater in a few years anyway!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 26 2013 19:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes as you note it's all about the practical aspects and nothing to do with the view and clear blue sea.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993