Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Safe to place suitcase in the balcony after potential bed bug threat from travel

(12 posts)
  1. Nobugspls

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Dec 16 2018 14:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. So...I am very scared and anxious about potentially carrying back bed bugs from the hotel to my apartment. I stayed in a hotel for 7 days and on the 5th day changed rooms because I found one broken dried but surely a bed bug body in my room. I also got 3 bites - one on my arm, 2 on my one leg.
    I plan to put my suitcase and bag in big trash plastics and tie the opening with some rope to prevent the bugs from spreading in my apartment. Where should I put these trash bags containing my travel bags...in the basement personal storage room or in the balcony attached to our living room and bedroom?
    I have dealt long with bed bugs before and ther are a big source of anxiety and panic for me. Please please help.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Dec 16 2018 14:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would suggest pallet wrap / cling film or Saran Wrap rather than bin bags as you get a better and more secure seal.

If it’s sealed correctly it does not really matter where you leave them because anything inside is sealed there.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Nobugspls

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Dec 16 2018 14:56:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know what kind of wrap i can buy in Germany? Until i get those wraps bin bags are my only option. Where would you rather leave the bin bags then? Also I am scared the bugs might fall out while taking things out of the bags...for laundering etc.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Dec 16 2018 15:12:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Pallet wrap from a hardware or storage store or failing that food plastic wrap.

David

5. SalsaVince

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Dec 16 2018 23:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

If you need to open the bag and suitcase to take clothes out, please be careful. I would do that outside if you can or maybe a bathtub where you could more easily inspect and clean after. When you're done, seal it up good as David recommends. As far as where to store it, would temperature be important? If it's below freezing in Germany now, storing it on the balcony would require a longer wait before it's safe to open. I think I read bed bugs can only survive about 5 to 6 months in room temps but in freezing conditions, over a year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  6. Nobugspls

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 17 2018 4:04:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Would make sense that they survive longer in freezing temperatures like -1 or so. But my plan was to take out luggage in plastic bags and then treat the suitcase and backpack by spraying with alcohol and inspecting while they're still in the plastic bags in the balcony. Without treatment i think it's safe to open them only after a year...right?

7. Rick_C123

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 11:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought BBs die within 4 days in freezing temps? No?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 13:15:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Rick_C123 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I thought BBs die within 4 days in freezing temps? No?

Not the range of freezing temperatures that are acchivable on planet earth. You need active freezing rather than environmentally cold and even then -20C takes weeks not days to be 100% certain.

David

9. Nobugspls

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 16:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

So, lets say i want to get rid of the bed bugs by starving them to death inside the plastic bags containing my luggage. How long should one wait before opening these bags? I read a little online and came think about 1.5 years (considering average temperature 10 degrees C).

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 18:10:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Starvation option takes 1.5 years. Means having a few spare toothbrushes and wash kits.

David

11. Nobugspls

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Jan 9 2019 3:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 weeks ago  » 
    Hi,
    Starvation option takes 1.5 years. Means having a few spare toothbrushes and wash kits.
    David

Not sure what the last line means.
    I wanted to heat my suitcase inside something like PackTite but it is not available in Germany.
    Also, I am not sure how to treat the suitcase, back pack, winter down coat and sneaker shoes.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Jan 9 2019 5:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To rely on just leaving your suitcase sealed you need 1 toothbrush and 1 washkit as well as 1 suitcase per trip you take on an 18 month basis.

Yes, sadly there is not a luggage heating system which works on sale in the EU, a reflection of the fact that heating sources and the conditions to get reliable successful heating is more complex than it first appears. In 2012 I tested 30 heaters and while 2 were close to specification none ended up being reliable enough.

Our UK solution was to create a Decon facility where we can work on things using a variety of methods. Sadly the cost to build one from scratch is over £25,000 and not many pest controllers are committed to that kind of investment for dealing with luggage and laundry.

Hope that explains a little better.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316