please - found this dashing along wall [a: male German cockroach]

(8 posts)
  1. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 16:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,
    I spotted this grossity making great time across the baseboard trim in my front hall, then along the wall and floor as I tried to photograph it.
    The PCOs are coming tomorrow morning for a routine look (i.e., 10 minutes of rushing through an 800 square-foot place with lots of furniture) and I want to tell them if they need to look harder and perhaps schedule treatments ASAP.

Could this be an instar BB? It was pretty big and looks like it has back pinchers, and seems way too long/narrow to be a BB, so I'm hoping for a "no." It was running too quickly for me to photograph it clearly and see any horizontal striations along the back.
    Can someone please identify this? I am moving in a few weeks and trying to take every precaution to keep anything other than my cat from moving with me...

Here's the link to the Flickr album pics:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskENFqsK

Thank you!

2. BBRISES

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 17:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

It s not BB relater imho. More likely cockroaches family related. I m not an expert.

3. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 18:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Also not a professional.

Also voting cockroachesque.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 19:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutely not a bed bug. Cockroach sounds right but an expert will likely confirm that part though it may take a bit more time.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 22:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Montrealer2 - 6 hours ago  » 
    Hi there,
    I spotted this grossity making great time across the baseboard trim in my front hall, then along the wall and floor as I tried to photograph it.
    The PCOs are coming tomorrow morning for a routine look (i.e., 10 minutes of rushing through an 800 square-foot place with lots of furniture) and I want to tell them if they need to look harder and perhaps schedule treatments ASAP.
    Could this be an instar BB? It was pretty big and looks like it has back pinchers, and seems way too long/narrow to be a BB, so I'm hoping for a "no." It was running too quickly for me to photograph it clearly and see any horizontal striations along the back.
    Can someone please identify this? I am moving in a few weeks and trying to take every precaution to keep anything other than my cat from moving with me...
    Thank you!

The markings on the pronotum seem similar to those of a German cockroach. But the body shape looks a bit too slender, and the pictures are pretty blurry. I suppose it could be a female with an ootheca, but I think that would be obvious even on the low-res pictures.

It's most definitely not a bed bug, however.

Richard

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 5:45:02
    #

Login to Send PM

GeekOnTheHill - 6 hours ago  » 

Hi there,
    Thank you!

The markings on the pronotum seem similar to those of a German cockroach. But the body shape looks a bit too slender, and the pictures are pretty blurry. I suppose it could be a female with an ootheca, but I think that would be obvious even on the low-res pictures.
    Richard

Male and female German cockroaches, as with many cockroache species, are sexually dimorphic. The pictures are blurry and I think the wings are present. The male is slender like the one in the picture. Not a female with an ootheca.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 10:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, everyone, for confirming that A) this is not a bed bug; and B) my choice to move away from this hell castle was warranted.
    A big phew!

8. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 15:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 9 hours ago  » 

GeekOnTheHill - 6 hours ago  » 

Hi there,
    Thank you!

Richard

Male and female German cockroaches, as with many cockroache species, are sexually dimorphic. The pictures are blurry and I think the wings are present. The male is slender like the one in the picture. Not a female with an ootheca.

Yeah, I really didn't think so, hence my prefacing the possibility with "I suppose it could be." But even for a male, it looks more slender than I remember. Maybe the First Lady's anti-obesity campaign has caught on in the cockroach community.

I also can't make out the wings no matter how hard I squint at the screen. Perhaps it's timely that the VA has me scheduled to see the optometrist next month. If you can see the wings on that cockroach, then I need new glasses for my tired old eyes.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19