Rug Doctor to clean up D.E.?

(7 posts)
  1. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 11:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So i over killed. Lol seriously over killed. When my friend sprinkle lightly I didn't realise HOW light.

Anyways it's been about two weeks since i sprinkled about 7lbs of powder around my apt. I've vacuumed my room (took a whole day with a dusk mask and a bunch of fans airing out the airbone out my window. When it becomes to dusty I leave the room (door always closed) and just let the fans do it's work.

There is still a 'light' coat of dust on the floor. Significantly less then before but you can still clearly tell it's powdery.

I'm thinking about vacuuming one more time but i'm wondering if I should use rug doctor to finish it off? I don't want to ruining the rental because I am but a poor college student with other important bills to pay.

2. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 23:17:41
    #

Login to Send PM

please please someone answer -desperate- i don't want to ruin my carpet and end up replacing it!

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 23:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Vacuuming up DE raises two issues:
    1. Kicking up a respiratory hazard.
    2. The fine powder gumming up the vacuum mechanism and reducing the effectiveness and life of the vacuum cleaner.

Generally, when I've seen experts weigh in on how to pick up DE, two things get mentioned:
    1. Wet rags (from hard surfaces)
    2. Industrial (Shop) vacuums with true "HEPA" filter attachments (these can be rented).

Be sure to wear a respirator rated "N100" for fine particles.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 23:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never used it to vacuum loads of powder , but i did add oxy powder to the water tank and it wrecked it lol BUT not after just one use after several, it clogged the lines . i guess it built up. I dont know if that really helps,. I have steam cleaned my rugs repeatedly and they had DE on it and nothing happend . Im guessing i had not used as much as you though.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 6:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

6. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 16:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what kind of mask I have, but I weld and I have a metal fumes mask. Would that work??? it's rubber with two pink filters.

Do you guys know where I can rent a hemp vacuum? I'm glad someone had experience with a rug doctor like cleaner. I really do not want to be charged for damages. I have enough things to worry about now.

7. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 17:05:48
    #

Login to Send PM

i also live in Los angeles, i'm trying to find a place that will let me rent because I simply can not afford 500 dollars for a vacuum cleaner! barley have 400 in my account as we speak.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88