(9 posts)
  1. hotwater

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2007 13:27:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all your time and help.

This is half a suggestions and half questions. I didn't know exactly where to put it all. Can some one come up with a morning routine, coming back into my apt routine, before bed routine for people with or think they have bed bugs. I was using flylady.net to be more organized and she has great ideas for routines for the disorganized people with out bugs, but this creates a whole new situation. If people have ADD or other problems that make them disorganized they need extra help.
    Flylady also sells products to help people. Would nobugsoneme consider selling products? It could be lucrative and it would greatly help us all get organized and done quicker. I am still not sure what brand of platic box to keep my shoes from bugs.Any suggestion? If you wont sell stuff can have a brand name section on the site?

Can I use clear plastic recycling bags to keep my stuff in? Are they strong enough? I can't find my clothes in the black bags?
    Where do I mail my assortment of bugs that don't even look like bed bugs to be identified? I have them on sticky traps. Do you have Lou Sorkin address and could he do it for free. I live in Brooklyn. Could this info be put on the front page, or tabs or where do I start?

Many people with ADD feel everwhelmed without bedbugs and don't know how to get unstuck and in a whirlwind. The people that don't have the hyper part have less energy and really need help getting started.

ADD awareness day is next month. It would be great to have info for the chronically disorganised, who need to have everything where they can see it and routines to help get up and out. All the rountines you can think of.

Thanks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2007 20:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, hotwater, I can consider having a section where I recommend products and link to them. There's already some of that. We cover clothes bags extensively in the FAQs, and mattress encasements. You should read the FAQs again. Click the button below.

(I see what you're saying with ADD. I think we have seen symptoms of this kind of "feeling overwhelmed" at times around here.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. buggeroff

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 29 2007 13:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. I never thought about how much harder BBs must be for people with ADD. Good news, though. I don't do much different in the mornings from when I didn't have BBs. Two months ago, I washed/dried all my clothes and stored most of them in plastic bags. I baked the dry-clean-only stuff in the car.

I kept a very small number of items unpacked and I've been wearing the same damned stuff over and over. I keep these clothes in a dresser that I took apart, washed and sprayed and dusted with insecticide. The legs of it are in containers full of mineral oil. I have not seen any traces of BBs in this dresser or in those clothes. I also keep my purse here.

So in the mornings, I do all the usual things: feed the cat, clean the litter box, have a cup of coffee, shower, dress, go to work. I now also do a brief inspection of the sheets and bed. Once I am out of the bed, I stay out (no sitting on it to dress) and I try to leave pretty quickly after I've finished showering. Once I am clean, I want out!

Instead of black plastic bags, go to Target or KMart and buy two boxes of XXL Ziploc bags. They are heavy duty plastic, they are clear and they seal up tight. Use these for your clothes.

4. BedbugsPleaseHateMe

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 28 2014 1:40:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish there was more advice for people with A.D.D. and depression/mental illness trying to deal with bed bugs while living alone. I often find myself starting to work on my apartment and then hours pass and I have done little. I get deeply overwhelmed and so disturbed it makes me sick and then do things like compulsively read about bedbugs online and very little gets done.

I would hire someone to help me with packing, cleaning, organizing and laundry, but I don't know of anyone out there who provides services like that. Anyone who would probably charges a fortune. A friend offered to help, but if he got bedbugs because of me, I couldn't live with myself.

In the meantime, I have barely been able to work. I work from home. I am going broke and feel helpless and trapped. Seeking psychiatric or psychological help isn't currently an option. Honestly, if I can get through this, I'll be ok, but I feel like I am messing up because I am too easily distracted and then the self-loathing comes up and it is awful and intolerable.

5. crisscross

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 30 2014 22:45:19
    #

Login to Send PM

BedBugsPlease, I'm not quite sure what to tell you--only that I sympathize deeply. Maybe you need a sort of touchstone--some object that will bring you back to the present moment and to the things you need to deal with. Mindfulness is helpful in all situations. So if you feel overwhelmed and your mind is muddled and racing, focus on that object and on your breathing until you are right in the present moment, and then try to take it one moment at a time. Hope things get better for you soon.

6. BedbugsPleaseHateMe

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2014 5:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement, crisscross! I read it when you posted it, and it has helped me remember to come back to the moment and just focus on my breath when my head starts racing and I feel helpless. It's funny, I meditate and do yoga but the bed bugs are still making me nuts. (My yoga practice has dwindled with the infestation. I don't want to practice at home much with fear of bugs crawling on me..) The exterminator is coming in 8 hours. I should sleep. I am not quite ready, but I have made a lot of progress. I am part of a 12 step program and staying active there has helped ease the insane rumination..

Dear Bedbugs, Please learn to hate me, my neighbors, friends, family, and all of humankind. Love, an itchy, tired human
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 3 2014 0:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugspleasehateme,

There are some companies who do the kind of work you describe (helping organize and debug belongings) but it depends where you are located. I have heard mixed reviews.

Note that a good professional organizer may be a help too. I know of one and she has worked with people who have had bed bugs. I am sure many will have knowledge of this topic but of course you want to ask first.

For most people, money is an issue, and if this is the case, then try and call for help from friends/family/people you know who can help. They can be taught the basics to avoid bringing bed bugs home and they can help you. Basically you need to think of this as the kind of project you might get help with (moving is an obvious example).

Be kind to yourself.

Another option, if you're paying for treatment, is to find a service provider who requires the kind of prep you can deal with. Some don't require you to launder everything you own, for example, and some of them are very highly thought of. A lot of things people assume "must" be done when one has bed bugs are not necessarily musts.

That said, situations vary, and if you have clutter which will impede treatment, the PCO may ask you to reduce it.

Finally, just a note about posting, for next time-- rather than revive an old thread (this one is seven years old), it's usually better to start a new one. You may get get more people seeing your thread and responding.

8. BedbugsPleaseHateMe

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 17 2014 20:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your kind help. I somehow managed to get the power to do so much prep it shocked me. I am fearful our PCO isn't a good one though. They don't seem to inspect. They're in and out in about 10-15 minutes..

9. BedbugsPleaseHateMe

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 17 2014 20:46:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and I will start a new thread next time [center]

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,327 posts in 46,290 topics over 141 months by 20,404 of 21,244 members. Latest: Bedbughelp, Anxietykilledme, Jwag0327