rotating mattress. saw this thing crawling... need identification

(13 posts)
  1. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 17:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I was rotating the mattress and stripping the bed to wash the sheets. All of a sudden I look down and saw this little bug crawling. I quickly, but gently killed it and put it in a piece of tape for identification. What would be the best way to show this for identification?

Thank you!

2. Bettwanze33

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 17:48:41
    #

Login to Send PM

There are a number of free upload sites where they'll give you a link that you can copy/paste here.

The automated spam filter though will sometimes block posts with links, especially by new members. I got around it by modifying the URL. If you change it to something like "example(dot)com/xyz" then people can copy/paste that and simply replace the "(dot)" with an actual "."

3. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 18:33:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Fantastic! Thank you. I will work on getting a photo uploaded. To be safe i have vacuumed, washed sheets, and spread DE. We had a scare a year ago last March. A friend whom we visited revealed to us she had bedbugs after we stayed there.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 20:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bettwanze33 - 2 hours ago  » 
    There are a number of free upload sites where they'll give you a link that you can copy/paste here.
    The automated spam filter though will sometimes block posts with links, especially by new members. I got around it by modifying the URL. If you change it to something like "example(dot)com/xyz" then people can copy/paste that and simply replace the "(dot)" with an actual "."

Hi Bettwanze33,

Sorry your post hit the spam filter. It has now been removed and this shouldn’t happen to you again. I don’t recommend editing URLs in the way you suggest. It shouldn’t be necessary and I don’t think it will necessarily help.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 5:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. I just took some photos. I hope this works!

[img]IMG_4833<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

6. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 5:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Some more:
    [img]IMG_4837<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

[img]IMG_4835<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

7. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 6:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

[img]IMG_4834<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

Back story: March 2017 stayed at a friend's house. Towards the end of the trip I got three bites on my hand. Mind you it was winter, so that was a little weird. Got home and the bites just weren't healing. Did some research and thought they looked very similar to BB bites. I lurked this site pretty hard!! I cleaned out the rooms over the next few days just to be sure. Washed everything, etc. Come to learn in May that she had bed bugs. She lives five hours south of us in a big city, townhouse style. We live in the woods in a rural setting. In May I had a few bites and then upon learning this I went OCD with the cleaning, putting all beds in protectors, DE, etc. Turned out those bites were from fleas. Switched my dog's flea medication and all was good. She came to visit in the summer. We visited again this past March for two nights. She swore all was good. No new bites or anything out of the norm. I do react. My significant other doesn't appear to? So I am very curious to what this bug is. Again, thank you for any insight!!!!!!!!

8. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 6:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a bed bug to me Sorry.

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  9. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 6:25:43
    #

Login to Send PM

mannrw61 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Looks like a bed bug to me Sorry.

It really does, doesn't it. I am wondering if it is male or female. I checked the seams on mattress. Nothing. No bed bug residue, per se. We just have a latex mattress with the organic cover it came with. Our bed frame is an adjustable one. Bummer.

10. HifromChi

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 9:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely an adult bed bug and where there is one, there are usually more. I'd call a PCO and get them in to inspect and treat right away, save your specimen so you can confirm it with them.

Lou, an expert here, can usually tell you if it's male or female, he's on this site pretty often so I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Best of luck to you!

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 10:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad the rear end is dirty. I'd say male based on what I can see.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 19:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

This morning I ordered a mattress protector that is for bed bugs. I also ordered those things that go on the legs of the bed for detection.

There is a part of me that is hoping one hitched a ride. I imagine there are stages of denial?

If it is a male and I have not had any bites swell up (but, have reacted to them before) is there any chance that we can take care of this ourselves?

I appreciate you all so much!

13. woodgold

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 19:16:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

This morning I ordered a mattress protector that is for bed bugs. I also ordered those things that go on the legs of the bed for detection.

There is a part of me that is hoping one hitched a ride. I imagine there are stages of denial?

If it is a male and I have not had any bites swell up (but, have reacted to them before) is there any chance that we can take care of this ourselves?

I appreciate you all so much!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081