Requesting Some Advice

(6 posts)
  1. vriskahs8

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Dec 11 2018 1:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys. My nightmare for me started towards the beginning of the fall 2018 semester. My dorm mate moved out and I started getting these bites on my legs, arms, face, just anywhere I had exposed skin. I thought it was a spider, some biting fly or something. (I wish) Anyways, a month afterwards I see this little red dot moving along my bed. I killed it and it just popped blood. I'd never seen anything like it so I did my research and came across bedbugs. I kinda had a panic attack. I let the school know as well. They assured me that it would be taken care of and that Orkin would be there on monday. Orkin searched the room and the last place he checked, sure enough a fully grown female bedbug was found. I was relieved that he found evidence to get my room treated and felt hopeful. They moved me to a temp room, washed and died all my clothes, and assured me once more it would be taken care of.

While I'm in the temp room I got some bites on my hand and thought maybe it was delayed reaction. Once I was able to go back into my room, I saw two live bed bugs come after me about 2 A.M. They crawled out from behind the desk that was attached to the wall. After reading that it was normal, and it typically took 2 weeks for them to die from the poison sometimes I told myself it was okay. Fast forward again. Bites are becoming more frequent. I told the school and since thanksgiving break was near, I just requested to wait until I was already out of the dorms. While I was at my dads I was still getting bitten. I put my laptop in a storage container because it was the only thing I could think of since it started only happening on my hands. A few days later I open the container and there were these little black dots where when I smeared it, it looked like it was ink or something. Fecal matter. I freaked out and threw the laptop away. Once again, I told myself it was okay. I opened up a credit card to buy another laptop for school. I opened it in the car... if you can tell where this is going.

After I drove back to the college. (They put me back in a temp room because they wanted to make sure they were all killed in that room) I was still getting bites. I went to get something for one of my classes and I saw a nymph on my hand while I was driving. I freaked out and killed it, more blood like it had done originally. I got my car steam cleaned with the birthday money my dad gave me. Now I've been having bites show up 8 hours about after being in the car. It's worse though because tonight, I haven't been in the car since Saturday. Everytime I'm in the car I strip down, change clothes and throw the other clothes in the dryer for at least and hour. I've been bitten on my hand, two sets of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm worried that they ended up in my new laptop from when I left it in the car for 30 minutes. I can't afford another laptop.

Another thing is, there's a company I can rent a heat fan from for $179, which I will make happen if I need to. I guess what I'm wondering, do you think it would be okay to wait until Friday (that's when I drive back to my Dad's it's a 4 hours drive) It's finals week and I really need my laptop for school so I have no choice but to you it. Also, they're heat treating my dorm as well since apparently spraying again didn't work. I have to move everything out of my dorm. I'm worried stuff will become infested if I put it in my car, but I don't have anywhere else to put it, other than throwing a lot of stuff away(not clothes cause those can just be tossed in the dryer at the highest setting. There's no one in the area that's even willing to treat cars. Nuvan strips don't work in cold weather. The steam cleaning didn't kill them, now they could be in my new laptop? I just don't know what to do anymore. I just want them to be dead already.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Dec 11 2018 2:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can appreciate you are focusing on the “how to kill them” but when I read a post like this my mind is dawn to “how is this happening”. In essence what is the common factor between all the locations where bed bugs have been seen?

It may be that the assumption that the source of the bedbugs was the room mate is incorrect and that you are in fact the one who is accidentally introducing the issue from somewhere. If you search for my previous writings on “infestation dynamics” and “local sources” you will see how this happens.

In essence while people remain focused on the “killing” the cycle repeats and you get worn down.

The university need to move from “reacting” to being “proactive” to get ahead of the issue and you need to understand the issue better to avoid doing things the costly way.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. vriskahs8

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Dec 13 2018 12:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I'm a full time college student. I don't really go anywhere except for my 3 in person classes(I have an online class as well), and I get food to go whenever I go to the cafe. There's no common place I can think of where I could have picked them up. My theory is they transferred from dorm room to laptop, to laptop to car. The probably traveled from the car to where I am now. The school is already aware and they're glad I'm taking precautions to get my car treated. They're also treating this room as well. As far as I'm aware, though, the only other place on campus that has them is the room next to the dorm room I was originally at. They moved next door after me not being there for 2+ weeks. I usually stay in my dorm room and play, study, watch tv and stuff on my laptop. While I do this, I would sit on my bed and it would stay on my lap, which is probably how they ended up getting in my laptop as well. My concern is that they're hitching from my car to new places. I'm wondering if a heat treatment will be effective enough or not since I've heard there's a lot of cool air spots. The place I'd be renting a heater from said that I can pick it up on Saturday and return it Monday morning. How long would anyone here recommend heat treating my car? I plan on heating other electronics I kept by my bed, on my bed, as well to make sure those are also BB free.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Dec 13 2018 15:25:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The most likely path of an infestation would be:

• Car - the initial contact point might have been before a journey - some of these may have remained with the vehicle while others travelled on to the room
    • Room - once introduced they would create habitat close to occupied areas (bed and seats) but would remain there as long as food was available
    • Laptop - while it may be on trend to use your laptop in bed it's a really bad habit for so many reasons. I have actually gone as far as to have an area to the side of the bed where a laptop can be placed and would work off a wireless keyboard

If the original source was in fact the adjoining room and it was severe enough then it would be:

• Room to Room
    • Room to car independent of laptop
    • Room to laptop

Just as the bugs associated with the bed wish to remain there because of access to food the same occurs with any that choose to live in the laptop.

I would not advocate using a heater to attempt to heat the car. I have put 50+ hours into trying that and it does not work. You are better of taking a strong vacuum cleaner and detailing every single part of the car including dropping all the seats and going to town on it.

You need to ensure that all aspects of this are co-ordinated and worked on at the same time and that takes planning and logic rather than immediate actions.

David

5. vriskahs8

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Dec 13 2018 16:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The college is heat treating my room, the rooms next to mine, the room next to the one that also has bed bugs, and the room below the rooms as well. I tried getting the car detailed recently, but they survived it. The people knew that there were bed bugs in the car and knew that had to get any nook and cranny. Since the heat treatment won't work, there's another pest control company in the Denver area who is saying they can use pesticides and baits to treat my car as well. While my car gets treated, I'll also get anything that the bugs might be living in heat treated and throw everything through the washer and dryer to do everything all at once.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Dec 13 2018 17:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry but “the people” don’t have as much incentive to do a good job as you do and valet services clean what you can see, you need to clean beyond that.

The annoying thing is that vehicles rarely take more than minutes to work on when you know what your doing and have the tools already.

If your cleaning it for less than an hour solid you need to go deeper.

You should also monitor the form room when you move back in.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714