Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Request for Duvet Encasement Recommendations-- can only find ones for mattresses

(7 posts)
  1. Dusk

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 6 2009 23:38:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Could anyone please recommend duvet encasements that trap/keep out bed bugs?

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 8:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought one from the National Allergy catalog. It is mite-proof and thus should be fine since mites are much smaller than all stages of bedbugs. As far as I know the cover hasn't been officially lab-tested on bedbugs, but if you are worried you can tape over the zipper. National Allergy sells the tape to cover the zippers but I find their tape comes off easily. I found the comforter cover worked great for me.

3. Dusk

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 12:25:48
    #

Login to Send PM

parakeets - 3 hours ago  » 
    I bought one from the National Allergy catalog. It is mite-proof and thus should be fine since mites are much smaller than all stages of bedbugs. As far as I know the cover hasn't been officially lab-tested on bedbugs, but if you are worried you can tape over the zipper. National Allergy sells the tape to cover the zippers but I find their tape comes off easily. I found the comforter cover worked great for me.

Thanks! That's very helpful. I will be getting one soon...

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 13:33:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You can also get a discount on National Allergy if you buy via this site. (See the USEFUL STUFF page for links.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Dusk

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 15:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 
    You can also get a discount on National Allergy if you buy via this site. (See the USEFUL STUFF page for links.)

Thank you! That's appreciated, as my bed bug situation is putting a dent on my finances...

6. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 15:58:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Parakeets, what do they feel like? Do they have a plastic liner or something that gets hot, or do they feel more like a cotton fabric? Thanks.

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 8 2009 8:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

The one I bought is called a "douvet liner" and you can put another cover over it if you want. They show that in the catalog photos. But I found the duvet liner nice enought to be the permanent cover and I didn't need to cover my comforter further. It is a smooth white cloth, a bit slippery with a bit of a nylon feel. To me it doesn't get hot, but it is not absorbant like cotton. But if you want cotton or flannel, you can use a washable cover over the "duvet liner." The douvet liner will keep out insects as small as mites and the cotton or flannel cover of your choice is what is touching your skin.

The Europeans use their duvet covers as a sheet. If you are going to use your duvet cover that way, I would cover the duvet liner with a cotton or flannel cover due to the fact that you would wash the sheets frequently.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto