(3 posts)
  1. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 9 2011 2:22:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    3 questions:
    1:I hear alot that dusts, like DE or Drione, or PyGanic dusts can be repellent if applied too heavily...should you even be able to see them when applied? I gather there shouldn't be drifts of white dust around, or piles, but should it be visible at all?

2: Are all/most spray liquid insecticides repellent to some degree? I'm shopping for PCO help, and asking questions of people over the phone, and one woman I spoke with said there isn't a residual spray on the market that isn't to some degree repellent (Demand CS, Onslaught, Suspend, Cyzmic CS, Temprid SC are some names mentioned when talking to people, and on the forum here). (Phantom Aerosol is said to be non-repellent, don't know if that is true). I guess I don't understand why all these are used if they are repellent, what is the rationale behind that? Is repellent always bad, or just a slower method?

3: Also still trying to decide if isolation with climbups is my best option on two of the three beds in my house..., will the bugs still try to get us (and get stuck in the climbups...we've only seen one ever in a C.U.) or will they hibernate if they can't reach us? Should we un-isolate those two beds to prevent hibernation? It feels like risking the bed frames becoming infested...

Thanks. Still trying to compile a list of what questions to ask, what treatment options to discuss as I shop around for help.
    -Grateful for Help

2. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 9 2011 4:34:14
    #

Login to Send PM

It is said that Phantom is just about the only one that isn't repellant. As to why repellant pesticides are still so widely used, I don't know--except that maybe PCOs know how to apply them, in combination with other things, to overcome or at least mitigate the repellant effect. It's another one of the many reasons why we have to have knowledgeable PCOs apply this stuff, rather trying to put it down ourselves. Done correctly, there is a science and logic behind it that us lay people can't understand.

I believe that all dusts are to be applied sparingly. You shouldn't see drifts or pileups or much of anything--I am not sure it is possible to keep it entirely invisible. I have yet to see a video which demonstrates this--every online video I have viewed makes the very mistakes we are told not to make when applying dusts. (I just watched one demonstrating the "paintbrush" method--he was smearing it down-that can't be right).Whether lighter, properly applied amounts of repellants like Pyganic are less repellant, I don't know. The only thing I have ever dusted is DE.

The bugs are not likely to go into "hibernation" simply because the bed is isolated. They will look for you in another room. It is up to you, whether to keep it isolated--my own PCO recommends isolating the bed in order to "take the bed out of the equation." He seems to operate on the assumption that they spread out from the bedroom anyway, although some here would disagree. There are other reasons to isolate the bed--some people have to do it to relieve anxiety and get some sleep. I have kept mine isolated.

3. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 9 2011 14:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, so unsettling.
    I agree about the videos...those I've seen show some guy puffing an empty duster to demonstrate how it works. Oh well.

I appreciate any knowledge about products, since it can get overwhelming or confusing when each person I call has a different set of product names to throw at me, and each PCO has a different method. Well, tomorrow's Monday, so more calling to do, thanks to a couple leads off this forum.

I have these on my bed http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14039791 (always have) and haven't attempted to isolate my bed...I assumed they could climb these, since they have sort of a rough textured plastic outside, and are angled. Now, I'm concerned I've inadvertently isolated my bed, can bedbugs climb these? I was feeling hopeful that I haven't shown any bites in weeks and weeks, (and I react badly) but maybe I haven't been as available and bait-y as I was going for. Any guesses?

Thanks all!
    -Grateful

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,304 posts in 50,166 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies