Relaying a Manhattan success story

(2 posts)
  1. WarOfAttrition

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2015 17:31:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My sister was getting around two dozen bites a night. So she had all the panic we're all going through. Only the victims and the PCO's know the true depths of our psychological distress.

On first visit a PCO hired by landlord found 1 walking on the wall near the ceiling in broad daylight. Sheer luck as he had just gone through the apartment and found zero signs of bed bugs harboring! She was told to vacuum everything; and launder and place clothes in plastic bags.

1st Session: PCO sprayed mattress and bed area w/ SUSPEND SC and GENTROL mix. Placed sticky-traps.
    2nd Session: Sprayed entire apartment.
    3rd Session: Dog was brought in. Still alerted to bed bugs presence. Also a dead bed bug was found in a trap.
    4th Session. PCO sprayed entire apartment and this time hit up every single crack and crevice as well. Drilled holes into wall and dusted wall voids. Sealed cracks using spackling paste.

That's it. She's been bite free for 6 months so far.

Some notes:
    -Sister only asked for the names of the spray and never asked for the exact name of the powder used in the wall voids, or the type of tape-trap.
    -PCO said bed bugs were not harboring in her apartment but traveling from adjoining units.
    -He said that he has had to change his pesticides and constantly encounters new types of bed bugs.
    -The sniffer dog alerted to a dead bed bug in a trap. The trainer told my sister he was not supposed to alert to dead bugs. Thought that was interesting.
    -Note to pro's: Apparently both the PCO and the dog trainer praised her for her calm and willingness to follow their instructions but she admits she did not follow all advice including oven-treating her many books like she was told. She was afraid of damaging them. Also the trainer joked that he has had to become a therapist to try to calm people down.

Anyway, just wanted to share--of course I'll add the bedbugger caveat that results vary and that you shouldn't self treat.

PS: I'll share my story(I live in a house in a rural area) soon. My sis is the successful one. Lol. I can't even work a dermatologist or sniffer dog into my currently dismal budget. Just reading what I can and trying not to exacerbate the problem until I can find a bed bug or whatever else it is that's biting me. Thanks BBforum.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2015 5:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

On first visit a PCO hired by landlord found 1 walking on the wall near the ceiling in broad daylight. Sheer luck as he had just gone through the apartment and found zero signs of bed bugs harboring!
    3rd Session: Dog was brought in. Still alerted to bed bugs presence. Also a dead bed bug was found in a trap.
    -The sniffer dog alerted to a dead bed bug in a trap. The trainer told my sister he was not supposed to alert to dead bugs. Thought that was interesting.
    Also the trainer joked that he has had to become a therapist to try to calm people down.
    Not to play down your sister's problem, but I was imagining this as a vaudeville comedy act. I'm sure bugs were missed and there were harborage areas. The dog alerted, but the handler didn't search to find live ones? The dog shouldn't alert to dead bed bugs; possibly there were live ones nearby and the handler should have inspected further - maybe he did.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,228 posts in 50,143 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago