(3 posts)
  1. AlineK

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 9 2009 15:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I'm new here, but have been battling bed bugs for months. I've just had a miserable experience with a Pest Control company that took total advantage of my horrible situation. I wish there were forums that were region/city specific, so I could warn people away from this horrible expensive company!!! It makes me sick at the idea of it happening to other people. I live in Toronto, big city, with a big bug problem, but information and recommendations is hard to come by, especially by people in the same area.
    I think city by city forums would be invaluable. I wouldn't wish bed bugs against my worst enemies, nor would I wish "Advantage Pest Control", who in total cost me close to $2000, with absolutely no result!

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 9 2009 15:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Ineffective PCO firms seem to be favored by poor landlords.

I had a situation in my buiding where we previously had a more reputable PCO who told the landlord the many steps that management would have to take (including disclosure to tenants) to rid our building of bed bugs. So what did the landlord do? He hired a much cheaper PCO firm instead. The cheaper firm met his needs better.

All the new firm did was put a box in the laundry room and if you "saw any bugs" you put your name in the box and they would "spray." No mention of why all the mattresses were in the dumpster, why all the tenants moving out and throwing all their posessions in the dumpster, and no education about bedbugs. Tenants can have bedbugs and not even see them or even know what they are! But our landlord has "hired a PCO firm," is happier since it is cheaper, and now he doesn't have to do all the work the other firm told him to do which he thought was unnecessary.

Thus I still live in a building with bedbugs. By the way, our apartment building has been sold twice since January.... mmm, I wonder why?

Even pest control industry self-regulation isn't enough. I think it is time to get laws on the books like San Francisco did. Without laws there will be a lot of scamming going on for sure.

PS: If you have something up there to rate local businesses (Better Business Bureau, and Angie's List and Yelp online are some in the states) be sure to give details about what happened to you. You can also write to the pest control industry boards.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 9 2009 17:40:11
    #

Login to Send PM

By tagging this thread "Toronto," you just did warn others in your region. I have added the tag "Toronto PCOs" and one for "Advantage Pest Control." (as we try to tag all PCO posts with city + PCOs AND with the name of the firm).

Local pages are in the works here also. I will consider completely separate forums for cities, but people need to remember to choose a forum when they post. And most people don't -- they leave it uncategorized.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,350 posts in 44,492 topics over 135 months by 19,507 of 20,186 members. Latest: SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom, Fighterme