Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

reeeeally slow bed bugs?

(11 posts)
  1. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 8 2011 3:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So, the only bedbugs we've found in the last two weeks (about 6 or 7) are either dead with legs all curled up just lying on the floor, or moving reeeaaally slowly or not at all. (One I blew hard on, and it just waggled an antenna and stayed in the same place. he's in a tiny ziploc now, to see if he's playing opossum).
    Is this a good sign? Might they be dying from our dust and/or residual poisons?

Maybe this is a stupid question.

Also, how does one ever know how many there are? I have all these questions, like, does isolating two out of three beds cause hibernation, or if you see one, does that mean there are millions in my walls?

I keep inspecting baseboards, insides of dressers and each drawer with a flashlight, and sometimes I see one black dot, or maybe two, none have smeared when I wet and swipe them...but no huge concentrations, but then the odd bug shows up, slowly moving, or dead. hmmm. I'm not really in a hopeful mood, just wondering, since I don't really know what I'm looking for beyond seeing the original mattress from beginning of the infestation...and that was really obvious.

Thanks. Going to go to bed, now...(the non-isolated one, so inviting, right?)

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 8 2011 19:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Dead is good (Obviously.)

I am not an expert but suspect moving really slowly could mean "dying." Perhaps some of the pros can weigh in.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 11:56:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Most of the commonly used bedbug insecticides contain a pyrethroid or a carbamate. These are two big classes of insecticide that attack the central nervous system of the insect. Consequently it is very common to see insects that have recieved a fairly low dose walking (or staggering) very slowly. When we conduct trials with residual insectcides, we tend to score mortality after a week, as all those that are going to die, tend to have done so by then.

As for the opossum effect, they don't play dead but I have tested products where bugs appeared to come back to life after a day or so. Fortunately (and not surprisingly) these products aren't widely available or used.

4. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 11 2011 13:34:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that information.
    Actually my bug-in-a-bag HAS come back to life...it seems. After not moving for about 2 days, he revived yesterday afternoon and is crawling all over inside the bag. Weird. And gross.
    My sister wrote a sticky note on the bag that references Gandalf's battle with a balrog in Lord of the Rings 'Creature of darkness...YOU SHALL NOT FEAST!'
    The others remained dead partly because I was taping them with packing tape, I assume.
    -grateful for help

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 12 2011 12:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting. Any idea what the pesticide was that they sprayed around?

6. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 12 2011 14:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Richard_Naylor,

Onslaught? And there is dust under the heat units and baseboards. I had also just mopped the floor with 91% alcohol prior to putting down a clean out-of-ziploc sheet to do my laundry on...
    I found him under the coffee table hiding. He looks like a big old one.

He now seems to have attacked a dead bug in the bag with him...one that we shot with alcohol like 2 weeks ago (it had eaten before we shot it),I can't shake him off. gross. I hate these bugs. I want to squash him, but I've named him Bernard instead and plan to learn information from him. He has now been in captivity since the 7th.

-grateful for help

7. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 14:39:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Update, Bernard, my captive bedbug, has died, and lies at the bottom of his bag, upside down. He died within one week of capture.
    One down....

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 20:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

> I had also just mopped the floor with 91% alcohol

Please be aware that soaps and detergents do the same things to BB (kill them on contact, but not eggs and no residual action), but are likely much more appropriate and gentle on polished, painted, wood or plastic surfaces.

Bed bugs are not deities. They are not appeased when you sacrifice your things or your home.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. Grateful for Help

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 3:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, thanks, cilecto...
    You're the best, good point and humorously put. (any leads on which detergents, or any will work?Dawn, Murphy's oil?)
    -grateful.

10. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 15:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

and a zillion to go.

11. Jennoco

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 13:59:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This made me laugh thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs