Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Recommendations on a monitoring system for car?

(14 posts)
  1. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 11:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to make sure in not bringing any bedbugs home so I'd like to install a monitor in my car.

Any recommendations??

I've thought about the passive one with the cardboard skits ect.., but there's no guarantee that the bugs will CHOOSE that exact spot and can still find many other comfy cracks and dark hiding areas.

Thanks.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 11:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Monitoring the car isn't the best defense. Do you drive professionally, like Uber or something?

3. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 13:19:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Big dummy thanks for your reply.

Why is it not the best defense? If my car has bb s then I can certainly bring them home right?

Jim thank you as well. I will pm you.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 14:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 
    Do you drive professionally, like Uber or something?

5. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 18:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again big dummy. No I don't drive a taxi but we pick up our grandkids from school and well..... You know the schools. Thinking in car...... Then me...... Then home.

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 18:46:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Better to protect the kids belongings at school then the car. You are not going to monitor a car with any success. You would have a better chance at catching fish with an empty hook.

7. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 21:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen. I agree 100 percent but how do you protect the their belongings/ backpacks? Is there a spray?

Thank you.

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2016 22:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Large ziploc bags.

Inspection protocols in place.

Bagging and heating belongings daily.

Or you can do what I do and recommend. Deal with a problem when you have one and don't ruin your life waiting for one to happen. You can do all these things to protect yourself and still find yourself with bugs because you sat in a restaurant, had a person in for home repairs, or simply bought something from Amazon.com

Life's to short to ride the bed bug crazy train. Get off at the nearest stop. It's much cheaper that way.

9. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2016 9:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Appreciate all the replies.

Killer queen, senseable all you say but my wife and I are on a fixed income so to wait and just deal with it is not an option at 2500 per treatment. Wish it were that easy.

10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2016 12:52:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Stan11 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Appreciate all the replies.
    Killer queen, senseable all you say but my wife and I are on a fixed income so to wait and just deal with it is not an option at 2500 per treatment. Wish it were that easy.

And if you found out you had bed bugs with the help of a monitor you would still have to deal with it, no?

11. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 10:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point but I'd rather have to deal with my car only as it is a hot spot ( picking up the grandkids from school)

If I detect it early enough perhaps I could prevent coming inside the home.

Also when treating the home, is it the same cost if a very early infestation is caught as a larger one?

Just trying to have a system in place........ Not knowing the best way to attempt not bringing them in as well as a system in place that can truly detect bedbugs early.

Thanks again.

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 11:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

What KQ is saying is that just monitoring the car is a poor defense, in that it would require the bed bug to harbor in your car. It can happen, but it's a less likely scenario than a home infestation.

Bed bug starts at point A and catches a ride on you or the grandkids. You enter the car carrying a bed bug. Now, it would require the bed bug moving from its hiding spot and then into the car instead of continuing to ride on you or your stuff until you arrive home. Once you are home and items or clothing are left sitting for a period of time the bed bug feels safe and comes out, looking for permanent housing.

No doubt that cars do become infested, but homes are far more likely, hence the stories of home infestations and very few stories of vehicle infestation.
    If the most likely spot to harbor is your home than the best place to monitor is your home.

13. Stan11

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2016 12:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for clarifying big dummy!! That really makes sense!

So the question is........ How to protect bringing them in the house?

What are the best steps in preventing them and what is the best steps to take to ensure if one did get inside, to detect early?

Many thank you s!

14. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2016 19:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

As KQ said--keep belongings of the kids sealed in bags of there is a concern that the school has a problem--maybe keep ziploc bags in your car to put their things in?

And use passive monitors around the house!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail