Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

recommendations and cost

(5 posts)
  1. humbug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2011 13:04:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I'd been posting about identification until last night when I found a BB and am now freaking out!! I know that it is def one because I had them in a previous apt... i have lived at my new place for one year- is it possible that I was not efficient enough and brought them with me??? I hope not!!

My question is now about PCO's and k9's. I have been reading all about k9's and b/c i have had this issue before I want to make sure that this time is the last time... and it seems like they are the best way to make sure you get all areas of an apt that may have infestation. (last time the PCO put down monitors, glue traps, and they caught nothing...maybe this is TMI, but in order to get them to come back they said the BB's had to be on the monitor so I found them around my apt and placed them on the monitors myself...there's no way i am willing to go through all that waiting again) I feel confident that I would like to get a k9 and I spoke to my LL about getting a PCO, he said he would but I am afraid he is just going to go for the cheapest and not necessarily the best. I am in Bergen County and looked at the recommendations on this sight, but no one really lists what the feasible costs are. I have a one bedroom apt, (not good at estimating square footage) the bedroom can fit abt a queen size bed and a 4 drawer dresser very snuggly. The kitchen is more like a kitchenette and the living room fits a fouton and a table. and then of course a bathroom. I was quoted $350 for a k9 and then $500 per room or $450 for K9 and $400 per room. (both of those quotes were for freeze treatment...also something that is not mentioned in the posts.... does anyone have experience with that) Is this typical??? Basically, I want to know where i stand and possibly offer to pay for half of this bill so that my LL will be willing to go with a reputable as opposed to cheap company. Any recommendations, advice, etc that can be offered would be more than welcomed. I also have 2 kids and am doing this on my own and am freaking out! I got rid of absolutely EVERYTHING from my last apt to ensure that this would not happen and here I am again! I really can't afford to do that again, because it is too much money to replace shoes, clothes, and furniture, esp for my kids. PLEASE HELP ME IN ANY WAY YOU CAN!!! THANK YOU!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2011 15:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The freezing CO2 treatment is also sold under the brand name Cryonite. I think that's what you're referring to. Look at the list of tags at the top of this thread, and click "Cryonite" to read other discussions. It can work but it can take multiple treatments. Make sure you know whether the firm will come back as many times as is needed, and how they will determine if the problem persists.

The prices don't seem unusual to me, but I would personally recommend talking to firms who use other methods (thermal/heat, steam/spray/dust) as well, to get a sense of your options.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2011 15:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The Bergen County PCOs and NJ PCOs tags above might help too.

4. humbug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2011 16:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks so much for the speedy reply! After reading it seems like PCO's who use multiple methods are the most effective.. i really just want them GONE!

Do you have any recommendations for what I can do in the meantime?? I feel so uncomfortable in my house and in my bed but i don't want to spread anything... any advice would be great!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2011 19:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

If speed is important, keep in mind the following: heat/thermal and Vikane are supposed to be one-shot treatments (and of these, only heat/thermal can be used in an apartment). Steam/spray/dust can be quite effective. But spray/steam and Cryonite might each take several visits. Things should get a bit better with each treatment.

I would recommend not doing anything until you get your PCO in to consult. Many will want to see it as is and moving things or treating yourself can make things worse. Of course, if you see a bed bug, you can kill it, or better yet, stick it in a ziploc or jar to remain as evidence.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,813 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen