Recommendation for a good vacuum?

(9 posts)
  1. buggyinbrooklyn

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Aug 13 2010 20:31:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a canister vacuum that doesn't take bags. I'm wondering if a bag is better for containing and disposing of bedbugs.

Do you have any recommendations for an awesome HEPA vacuum?

Thanks!

2. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 14 2010 1:41:12
    #

Login to Send PM

As it happens, I was recently watching the video from Bed Bug TV about how to pick a vacuum:

http://tv.bedbugcentral.com/index.php/2009/09/bbtv-33-bed-bugs-and-vacuums/

The main feature is that it should have smaller bags that you don't mind changing frequently (like every time). A sucking power doesn't hurt either. He suggests packing the bag in a plastic bag and then taking it to the exterior trash right away. HEPA isn't important for this particular use.

I'm currently window shopping for one. So I'd be having that one for bug work (and possibly cleaning crap from the computer), the ShopVac for general work and lifting up DE, and my robots for general cleaning.

Eve

3. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 0:49:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I use a 12 amp Kenmore (Sears brand) that I bought just after I moved into my apartment (before I realized there was a bedbug problem). It's a nice little canister vac, my only complaint about it is the quality of the plastic attachments. I've worn the crevice tool down already. Granted I've been vacuuming 2x a week for a month and using the crevice tool on the baseboards and cracks in wooden furniture rather than upholstery

4. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 9:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as a recommendation, I would choose a good bagged one. From my own experience dealing with a bagless - having to clean the cannister all the time is a pain. Removing the bag and discarding is easier. I am looking for one too!

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Garry vacuum as shown on TV and has any opinions?
    Yes, I am a sucker for an infomercial!

I will be needing one for the new (presumed bug free) apartment. So looking at it for more regular use rather than BB related (although you never know).

What attracts me is:
    Reasonable price for what seems like a powerful machine
    Light weight
    They offer a free steamer mop with an order.
    Self sealing bags (I think you can only get the correct bags through that company which is a minus)

Reviews that I have read online seem mixed though.

I will miss my Dyson. It was a good vacuum for the 4+ years I have had it.

5. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 10:54:40
    #

Login to Send PM

kirads09 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I was wondering if anyone has tried the Garry vacuum as shown on TV and has any opinions?
    Yes, I am a sucker for an infomercial!

I don't know what the vacuum is like. But the website gave me one of those "Are you sure you want to leave this website?" warnings as I tried to leave. This is never a good sign.

I'm actively looking and have a couple of prospects, but not for a full upright. Not being able to get supplies through a mainline source would be a real minus for me. I've got too much experience with appliances I've had to let go because the supplies were not available and they were specific. And those were from reputable, established companies.

Eve

6. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 11:27:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Why are you ditching the Dyson? I was looking at the Dyson DC23 - canister vac. I know the cups are a pain, but so is paying $12 for three bags and going thru them in 2 weeks. Currently I have a Hoover that I packtite if I only have been vacuuming a little bit. Otherwise I have to commit to vacuuming EVERYWHERE to make it worthwhile.

Will only get the new vac when I am 60+ days clear.

7. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 11:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

bugnut - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Why are you ditching the Dyson?

Because I am moving to new, clean apartment end of the month. Don't want to take and use the same vacuum I've used in this old buggy one.

8. fmlin2k10

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 12:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

i had a canister vac that i loved before this pesky little problem. i cleaned the canister with alcohol and put the unit in my packtite so that i may pass it on to my bf's mom. then i purchased a kenmore magic blue, i like the compact size(only 10 lbs!) considering vacs with bags tend to be clunky. the bags are small which is fine by me since i have to throw them out after each use. but i am most pleased with the suction, especially when using the crevice tool. the price wasn't bad either, and i got a 2 year warranty from sears. the whole things fits in my PT which is good too.

kenmore magic blue - $99

9. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 16 2010 16:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

fmlin2k10, may your attachments last longer than mine

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956