Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

recommend exteriminator in NYC??

(9 posts)
  1. duchess

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 15:30:23
    #

Login to Send PM

can anyone recommend a good exterminator in NYC? and what chemicals are best to use?

we've recently discovered bedbugs in our 5 story tenement in Manhattan. First sighted on the top floor, they appear to be migrating to other apartments since the top floor began treatment. So we want to exterminate the whole building.

I think this is still an early infestation, at least in my apartment, but we want to kill these before they infest this old building which is full of cracks everywhere.

much obliged,

Duchess

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 16:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Is the whole building being treated or the one unit?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. coopbugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 17:45:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Among the high-end options that I have heard good things about: Assured Environments and Pest Away.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 18:39:47
    #

Login to Send PM

coop

has anyone here used assured environments?

5. bedbugstress

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 18:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I am using them on Thursday. They seem to really know what they are doing and answer all my questions and concerns.

6. coopbugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 19:24:06
    #

Login to Send PM

My upstairs neighbor used them a couple of years ago and said they were good.

7. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2007 22:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I also heard good things about Assured Environments from a reliable source.

However, regardless of the PCO company that you use, you need to monitor the PCO tech that actually comes to your home, carefully noting what is done and how and with what products. And you should interview more than one company.

Metro Pest is another company with a good reputation.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2007 0:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a FAQ written by a PCO about how to choose one. We also have one on prepping for treatment, and how different companies' policies affect your lifestyle during treatment. More on that in a moment.

I have heard good reports at so many PCOs, and bad reports from almost all of the same. Someone else may have had a bad tech, true, but they may also not have followed the PCO's protocols. We have to acknowledge that finding out what our PCO needs us to do, and doing it, are crucial to success.

As an example, your PCO might not want you to mop the floor for 3 weeks. If you thought you were being proactive and using murphy's oil soap on the floor every week, you just sabotaged their protocol. Likewise, they may ask you to vacuum three times a day (to kill bugs), or not to vacuum (because there's powder down). If the tip sheets don't explain all this, and you're thinking of supplementing (whether that means vacuuming or mopping or DE) ASK them. Remember someone else's PCO has a different plan and it might work too. But you can't mix and match by applying everything that everyone here has done.

The fact that PCOs are almost never universally recommended is why I hesitate to recommend anyone (at least via the forums). Also, some of the PCOs who get the most press have grown very quickly in the last few years--this can mean a company goes from an amazing company where a bed bug genius oversaw all cases, to a massive operation that can't hire and properly train enough techs to do their work. If you can find a smaller company that takes pride in killing the b@#$%^&s quickly, and seems to be thorough, it's possible you may be doing much better than choosing the company that's in all the local articles.

On the other hand, even if they aren't universally recommended, you can still ask people here. If lots have had a bad time, or they know something about the PCO's methods, you can get good info here.

As Nomo says, whoever you get, monitor the PCO--watch the inspection, get the receipt or list showing what was used. And follow their tip sheet.

Remember also, as per our FAQ on preparing for treatment--some PCOs want you to seal everything away for 18 months. Others want you NOT to. Both methods can work! So consider carefully which sounds better to you. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and the FAQ explores them a bit. But if you choose a PCO you have to follow their plan, so make sure you agree. If you don't follow their protocols, any warranties won't apply.

9. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2007 11:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

my pco was great. horizons john at 718-338-1447. back then it was $400 for at least 3 treatments. and then after that free if they are still there (they werent).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111