reasons for bad information from a PCO?

(5 posts)
  1. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 15 2015 7:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

My house is being treated by a second PCO, that I thought were much better than the first (3 times more expensive). We had 4 fumigations from the first and there was still a problem. We don´t have a lot of bugs. In fact Ive never seen one, but the second PCO found two. So we sprayed and then today 14 days later they have come in again with a vapour machine and more chemicals.
    The PCO technician that I was chatting to today told me the following.

1. That every single person he has ever treated showed a reaction if they were bitten.
    2. Putting my things in the freezer for 1 day would be enough to kill everything.
    3. My drier would need to get up to 90º C/194º Farenheit to kill eggs.

He also told me that it was impossible that I was still getting bitten as he himself treated my apartment and he did the job very well. (well, they didnt do the closets or take apart anything, which they initially said they would)

and all the above stuff is not true. He said he had studied this stuff. But it´s just not true any of it.
    This seriously calls into question my confidence in this company.

He also says that it´s very odd that Im the only one getting bitten. And insinuates that the whole thing is in my mind. And they´ve only fumigated once! Today they came round to do the second part. I am in Spain, so clearly that doesn´t help. But he was telling me that It doesnt make sense that I´m being bitten as they fumiagted so well the first time.

Anyway, I was just hoping that somebody out there can confirm that this stuff (these 3 points) he is saying is absolutely not true. I don´t understand why they say these things. Do they really believe them?

And that a 50 min cycle at 60ºC/141º F is enough to kill all bed bugs at all stages. (I have a heat sensor so I know that for at least 1/2 the drier time its up to temperature). As a lot of my management depends on this.

Many thanks in advance.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 15 2015 8:30:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear sleepless in espania,

See my comments below which should appear in bold:

My house is being treated by a second PCO, that I thought were much better than the first (3 times more expensive). We had 4 fumigations from the first and there was still a problem.

Fumigation may NOT be being used correctly here. This is so because by definition the word fumigation is a type of application where a fumigant gas is applied to treat an enclosed space. The fumigant gas is able to penetrate various surfaces. Note that these fumigant gases are highly toxic dangerous pesticides and capable of killing all forms of life sufficiently exposed.

Many people use the word fumigate when attempting to communicate that their home was treated by an exterminator. Unless your home was tented and/or sealed followed by treatment with fumigant gas for many hours or days thus requiring that all inhabitants and desirable living organisms were evacuated from the structure during the treatment you had some extermination work done and not a fumigation.

We don´t have a lot of bugs. In fact Ive never seen one, but the second PCO found two. So we sprayed and then today 14 days later they have come in again with a vapour machine and more chemicals.

I suppose it's a good thing that your infestation may be a "minor infestation". Nevertheless, we all want zero bed bugs. Further, that you've never seen one can be a concern but it's a good thing that the second pest pro confirmed the presence of bed bugs.

The PCO technician that I was chatting to today told me the following.

1. That every single person he has ever treated showed a reaction if they were bitten.
    2. Putting my things in the freezer for 1 day would be enough to kill everything.
    3. My drier would need to get up to 90º C/194º Farenheit to kill eggs.

Hmmm . . . firstly, you were talking to a technician. While this individual may have attended a number of training classes and read various items of information this does not necessarily mean that he actually knows or retained this information such that he could accurately relay or repeat it to you. Additionally, there may be partial truths to some of these statements you quoted as well.
    Let's look at these statements by number here:
    #1 - Who cares? This is just one person's observations and we don't know if he's seen one person or one thousand persons.
    #2 - This could be so provided YOUR freezer actually gets cold enough. However, retail/consumer type freezers don't get that cold so this is largely untrue. Note that Dr. S. Kells at the Univ of MN (Minnesota here in the USA) Dept of Entomology published freezing data trial results that indicate that bed bugs will be killed in a number of hours in a freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. You can find that information using a sufficient online search.
    #3 - Your dryer needs to exceed 122 F and all surfaces and materials within the dryer need to reach or exceed that temperature for at least one minute to kill all stages of bed bug life. (You can look this up online from credible sources as well.

He also told me that it was impossible that I was still getting bitten as he himself treated my apartment and he did the job very well. (well, they didnt do the closets or take apart anything, which they initially said they would)

and all the above stuff is not true. He said he had studied this stuff. But it´s just not true any of it.
    This seriously calls into question my confidence in this company.

Let's NOT worry too much about what this one person has said. Assume he means well but you're best served to check things out and educate yourself from credible resources.

He also says that it´s very odd that Im the only one getting bitten. And insinuates that the whole thing is in my mind. And they´ve only fumigated once! Today they came round to do the second part. I am in Spain, so clearly that doesn´t help. But he was telling me that It doesnt make sense that I´m being bitten as they fumiagted so well the first time.

I've been in many bed bug infestation situations where one person is being bitten and others report no bites. It's not a big deal so don't worry too much about this. Let's be more concerned with the results of these treatments and that the follow up inspections and monitoring are very thorough.

Anyway, I was just hoping that somebody out there can confirm that this stuff (these 3 points) he is saying is absolutely not true. I don´t understand why they say these things. Do they really believe them?

See above. We don't know if the entire company thinks this or just this one person.

And that a 50 min cycle at 60ºC/141º F is enough to kill all bed bugs at all stages. (I have a heat sensor so I know that for at least 1/2 the drier time its up to temperature). As a lot of my management depends on this.

That's plenty hot to be effective.

Many thanks in advance.

Good luck ! pjb

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2015 13:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Those two bugs, which you never actually saw were the only ones ever? You've stated there were some in traps, but that they were destroyed.

Please, I cannot stress this enough, please post an image so that we can make a positive ID, you have repeated dodged this one simple request.

From there we can move forward with advice, but you need to work with the group on this one, otherwise I don't see the point in asking advice.

4. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2015 14:37:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

Thanks so much for those very wise words P Bello. It is true he was just a technician, and should not reflect the whole company although it is worrying that they send out people so poorly informed, who then misinform people, who then will probably make the problem worse. And Im so glad that I didnt call the main guy from the company. So much of this relies on having a good relationship with the PCO.
    Big Dummy: I didn´t post pictures of the two the PCO found, as they identified them. I don´t necessarily think it´´s vital to post images if you´ve already had positive conformation from a professional.
    There were none in the pheromone traps even thought they were down for 2 weeks. So I think its important for people to know that these Trappit traps are not at all reliable. (I am midly concerned that their monitoring process depends on these pheromone traps..and I didn´t like their insinuation that maybe I was imagining the bites. So I don´t know how this guarentee situation of 3 months works)
    Anyways, thanks so much for the continued advice and support, I think bedbugger forum is such a great resource and Im so grateful it´s here, providing accurate information for us desperate sufferers! This truly has been and is a very difficult, distressing time.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2015 16:43:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Your correct. The pheromone type traps are really debatable as to their effectiveness.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,893 posts in 50,057 topics over 155 months by 21,882 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019