Really need advice, please read.

(18 posts)
  1. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 1:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I am really having a nervous break down over having bed bugs. It has been since just before Christmas since I've seen a live bug, and it was on my bedroom wall a few feet away from the bed and only about 2-3 from the open electrical outlet. It was a nymph.

The guy came on 5 January and sprayed the room with Phantom and did some dusting and I think he used the rapid freeze on the box springs too. You can see the residue along all the cracks on my bed frame and nightstand which sort of made me happy, because I do not have any prejudice against base board jockies.

However, today was yet another day of finding new red marks on me. These I found at the very very bottom of my ear lobes right where the ear meets the chin. They were NOT there as of last night. I check this and other areas constantly as there seem to be "hot spots" where I get bit often. Back of my ears, along the hairline on back of neck and forehead, nose, etc. Actually I get bit all over. So today I found a whole series of tiny red dots on my left ear lobe today and a couple more defined ones on the right. Every time I see this my stomach sinks as I know the problem is still there.

I was examining my pillow last night and found very tiny red things, that stuck to the fabric almost like an egg or something but eventually got up with some tape. They are far too small to take a regular photo of but do not look to be bugs under my lens.

I found a couple more today when I woke up on the sheet. They do not look like fecal stains but I also found what could maybe be old old fecal stains that were too small to detect or just went undetected before washing the pillow case along the folded edge.

So, every day I now dread going to sleep as I know I will be getting bit. I also dread going to sleep because upon waking up and having to spritz my hair with alcohol I know I'll find new marks on me then and as the day goes by. Losing hope fast. I keep trying to pretend everything is OK and maybe it's a maybe but then I remember I have actually seen them in my home, it's real. It actually is real. We have them!

I really need to know, considering the type of furniture I have and the walls I have... what should I do?? Would it be best to just get rid of my bed and buy a more practical one or maybe seal the panel cracks somehow? I really do love my bed but it's all wood and totally bed bug friendly. It's a Cali king and very hard to inspect.

My passive monitor is attached to the head board as well and so far I do not see any signs of activity there but wonder if there could be someone home with no fecal stains on the outside part. How do I unstick it from the bed without shaking anyone out by accident? If it turns out to be empty, what a waste.

Here are the images of my bed:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53132982@N02/5318603794/

Also, people have recommended getting someone to treat my stuff with Vikane in a container or something but this is not an option. 1: because of cost 2: because no one does it nearby. What on earth can I possibly do with my crates of records? They cannot be put into the packtite, too tightly packed together for a Nuvan treatment to work, so what? They mean so much to me I can't part with them although I am also not sure they have even been affected but can't take that chance and assume they are clean.

Also wanted to add that this afternoon when I woke up I saw something on my cat's fur. It is pretty long and our house is full of static so she's like a swiffer. Anyway I was almost sure I knew what it was, looked like the remains of a carpet beetle larvae shedding. Not 100% sure but almost entirely sure. We no longer really have any carpeting cept for in one room no one uses and I've only seen a couple of these, mainly in or near my kitchen cabinets.

Thank you and hoping for some sound advice or even just some support as I'm really losing my mind. Going back to school this week and not sure how I wil be able to handle this at home, school full time, and a part time job.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 9:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi victimized,

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering. I'll try and address each issue in turn.

Without wanting to question your entomological skills, who was it that identified the original nymph? Was it the pest controller or yourself? Do you still have the specimen? It is best to start at the beginning and figure what we know and what we assume. I don't doubt that you are being bitten, but with a cat in the house you need to rule out fleas.

The tiny red things you found definitely aren't eggs, but they could be flea dirt. Eggs are pearly-white and would be stuck on a hard surface, usually in a crevice. Bedbugs don't leave anything red behind (unless they get squashed), but sometimes bites can bleed a little if scratched, so it is most likely to be your own blood. This in itself isn't confirmation of bedbugs as many things can cause you to scratch and produce red marks.

Don't chuck away the bed. It is best to leave the room as undisturbed as possible. Given the chance bedbugs will always try to find somewhere to hide as close to the host (you) as possible. If the passive monitor is positioned correctly, it provides the ideal hiding place for them and they won't hesitate to use it.

It looks like your monitor is the bb alert passive. You should be able to gently pop the cover (with the inner attached) off the stick-on base and inspect it. Bedbugs cling on pretty well and usually squeeze inside the corrugated card inner, so there isn't much risk of shaking one off. It is possible for a bug to go inside without making marks on the outer, so it is worth checking.

The positioning of the monitor looks quite good, but make sure your mattress is pushed against it so that any potential bugs have easy access to it.

Regarding the records I wouldn't worry about them. The bedbugs should gravitate towards the bed, so unless you store them under the bed, there isn't much risk of them being infested. For you peace of mind, you could move them into plastic storage boxes with lids. This will stop any bugs from getting in or out. After a year or so you can be satisfied that if any bugs were among them they are now dead. In the mean time, if you want to play one of your records, leave the sleeve in the box and glance over each side of the record to check for signs before you play it.

Carpet beetles don't just eat carpets. There are many species and they feed on all sorts of things. They usually go for dry, stored products such as cereals, flour, dog biscuits, grain... (the list is endless). They are very common in all kinds of houses, so it is very possible that this is what was picked up in your cat's fur.

Try not to panic. Look for black fecal traces on your sheets and bed frame. Check your monitor every week. If you do have bedbugs, tearing out the bed is likely to make the problem worse, so it is best to let things settle down. Any bugs in the room should eventually find their way into the monitor.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 11:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

RN: It looks like your monitor is the bb alert passive. You should be able to gently pop the cover (with the inner attached) off the stick-on base and inspect it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    For RN or David -- Does this destroy the unit, or can it be reused?

What I generally do is pick it up and shine a flashlight through it looking for any visitors. I assume, at least after a couple of months of use, that there would be something big enough to be seen this way? Also wondering if moving it around a little from time makes it less hospitable as a harbonage. In my case (futon mattress on floor) the BBAlert Passive is positioned per David's instructions on the carpeted floor with half under the mattress and half sticking out. But because it's not glued down, and the mattress is rolled up during the day, the unit gets moved a little each time the futon is rolled up or down, but I make sure it's positioned correctly each night when I roll it down.

Victimized: What on earth can I possibly do with my crates of records? They cannot be put into the packtite
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Is that because they will get damaged from the heat? If so, have you tried it with one you could part with? If that's not the reason, PackTite seems like one good way to go other than isolating them per Richard's instructions. Not sure how big your collection is but you'll be surprised how much you can treat if you do it in stages.

RN: Without wanting to question your entomological skills, who was it that identified the original nymph? Was it the pest controller or yourself? Do you still have the specimen?
    ----------------
    Richard is being very diplomatic but this is key. Probably close to 95% of all pictures of suspected bed bugs posted here turn out to be something else. And if people have that much of a problem identifying full-size bugs, one can only imagine how hard for a lay person to ID a nymph correctly. From personal experience, when you have bed bugs on your mind, everything you see becomes a bed bug or trace of a bed bug. So, as Richard suggests, start with the beginning -- do you still have bed bugs or not.

Richard

4. victimized

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 15:15:25
    #

Login to Send PM

RN: Without wanting to question your entomological skills, who was it that identified the original nymph? Was it the pest controller or yourself? Do you still have the specimen?
    ----------------
    Richard is being very diplomatic but this is key. Probably close to 95% of all pictures of suspected bed bugs posted here turn out to be something else. And if people have that much of a problem identifying full-size bugs, one can only imagine how hard for a lay person to ID a nymph correctly.

It was absolutely a bed bug nymph. I do have it saved. I caught it dead-on with the tape such that its legs were still moving once it was stuck on and then I taped it in carefully so as to not damage it. It matches not only any image I have seen, but under my magnifying lens looks exactly like the bigger ones, just smaller. The PCO looked at it though and did agree. Not too long ago I scanned my samples laid together in a row according to age and provided the link to this display on here and it was confirmed by one of the members of the forum that they are indeed bed bugs.

I know it is easy to get carried away and assume everything is bed bug related but all I know is that since I confirmed they are in my house, all the strange symptoms that were apppearing leading up to this suddenly made sense and I have since experienced marks, etc that absolutely were not there before. The fact that so many come here who are experiencing the exact same things as I, and also have bed bugs, tells me it must be bed bug related. Deductive reasoning.

RN: It looks like your monitor is the bb alert passive. You should be able to gently pop the cover (with the inner attached) off the stick-on base and inspect it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    For RN or David -- Does this destroy the unit, or can it be reused?

What I generally do is pick it up and shine a flashlight through it looking for any visitors. I assume, at least after a couple of months of use, that there would be something big enough to be seen this way?

My thoughts exactly. I have been shining the flashlight down into it while holding a dental mirror below it so as to see up through it while it clings to the bed frame. It is below the mattress so it isn't easy to inspect otherwise. I agree that after so long any nymphs in it would eventually be big enough to see.

I am still not clear on what is meant by popping off the top. You mean the black plastic part comes off? I sense it is stuck pretty good to the surface. You say they cling tight but I can tell you, I am really squeamish and not entirely sure I believe that if I had to really nudge and pry and then finally with force it pops off that someone couldn't get either knocked loose or flee. Very awkward.

In regards to my bed- endless places for them to live, better places than the monitor. It is also very difficult to search for fecal staining on the bed frame as the wood has a dark stain.

In regards to pack titing a record, the idea occurred to me last night actually to use a test record so I can see if and what type of effect it has on it. My only concern with the records is that they were stored close to ground level in a carpeted room where the infested sofa was. I am not sure how long the presence was in the house or even where it came from so it makes me nervous.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 15:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably more of a chance the bb's would be in the cardboard record sleeve than on the record, assuming that's how they are stored. Pretty sure the Packtite would not hurt the records but testing a few first would be prudent. Another thought is to just PackTite the cardboard sleeves and wipe the records down with alcohol, assuming that would not hurt them. If we don't hear from Richard Naylor or David (BBPassive Inventor) here soon, maybe we should start another thread on the BBAlert Passive issues raised so the topic will be more easily noticed.

Richard

6. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 15:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I remember your photos, Victimized. They were truly definitive, even to the untrained eye, and I remember Loubugs confirming them.

I, too, find various and sundry markings all over me--not a huge amount, but in unpredicatable places. You are correct, about the deductive reasoning, Many people here describe skin reactions that bear family resemblances and display similar patterns. There has to be something in it, for so many people on the same site, for the same reason, describing the same things.

If some of you don't read all the posts or don't look at all the pics, then why engage us in an uphill battle to prove that we have a real problem?

I am sorry you are having such a hard time, V. I often feel that this has simply ruined my whole life, but I try to be forward-looking to a better day, and I put a lot of energy into thinking about something else. As the Buddha said, "what we think upon grows."

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 15:45:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 18 minutes ago  » 
    If we don't hear from Richard Naylor or David (BBPassive Inventor) here soon, maybe we should start another thread on the BBAlert Passive issues raised so the topic will be more easily noticed.
    Richard

It looks like Richard Naylor posted about 5 hours ago. I would be surprised if you don't hear from David and Rich again, but I'd give it a day or so. I would encourage you to stay with this thread in this instance because the issues are already so well described here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 16:06:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Victimized. First of all, let me just say that I'm really sorry that this situation is causing you so much grief. It is obviously taking a great toll on you, especially with the added pressures of school and work.

Having read a lot of your posts though (maybe all of them), I want to say that I believe that the great majority and maybe all of the things you describe on your skin aren't bed bug related. I think that it's likely that the marks you're noticing are things which would have been there regardless, but would have gone unnoticed were it not for your hyper vigilant state.

I believe, based on some comments that you made in a previous post, that you and I have very similar skin. (You're not Welsh / Irish by any chance are you?) I also believe that I don't have bed bugs. I've been cleared by a K-9 unit and also torn apart my bed at least three times and never found nary a trace. Despite this, I still find marks on my body all of the time.

One common occurrence is that I will see myself scratching and look closely at the area and there will be one of the little red pinpoint dots that seem to come up a lot on the forum. Having done a bit of research, I believe that these are very small cherry angiomas and have nothing to do with insects. I also get marks on my face about which I'm dubious, but I've convinced myself that they are just related to my dermatitis (which if I recall correctly, you also suffer from).

If I were you I would try to quit with all of the inspections of your body and trust the monitor to do it's job. If the things your finding aren't causing you physical discomfort nor are they unsightly in the sense that others might notice them, I think that you should just try to get on with your life until you see concrete evidence of an active infestation.

-rs1971

9. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 4:54:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi V,

I have a few BB Alert passives in the lab. It is very easy to gently pop the black plastic off the white base with your finger tips and replace it without damaging the monitor. The inner card (where the bbs hide) is glued to the black lid, and will come away with it. If you hold it up to the light you should be able to see bugs of any size. Even a first instar nymph is quite easy to see if you have reasonable eyesight.

so unsettling:
    "If some of you don't read all the posts or don't look at all the pics, then why engage us in an uphill battle to prove that we have a real problem?"

It certainly wasn't my intention to offend. I was only curious to see if V had had a second opinion. As Richard56 said, the majority of photos posted on here are not of bedbugs. It is true that I don't have time to read every post, so are you saying I shouldn't ask questions for clarification in case the person has already answered it in a previous thread?

10. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 7:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry Richard, it was just a general comment not directed to you. I appreciate the wonderful work you do here; please carry on.

11. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 8:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem at all. Thanks for clarifying.

R.

12. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 11:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So unsettling: If some of you don't read all the posts or don't look at all the pics, then why engage us in an uphill battle to prove that we have a real problem?
    ---------------
    As Richard suggested, it's unreasonable to ask members to read each and every post before responding. With this in mind, it's important for members to post as complete a question as possible which may entail recapping some previous posted data such as the fact that the nymph in question was identified previously by LouBugs.

But to the more general issue, it's not that some of us want to engage you in what you term "an uphill battle to prove ... (you) have a real problem" but that we're trying to point out that the ID process is critical, and experience here shows that most lay people just aren't able to ID a bed bug correctly. Because of that, no doubt many people are needlessly suffering the terrible bed bug experience who think they have bed bugs but actually don't.

----------
    Richard, thanks for the tip on lifting the lid of the passive.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 12:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The science and design behind the passives means that you do not need to take it apart to inspect it. The key feature of the product is that it induces the deposition of faecal traces on the white detection skirt. They only need to really be moved when they are showing signs of activity and in which case you can gentle remove the top and filler layer and place in a zip lock bag. The base plate is least likely to have any associated bedbugs and it can be levered off the surface by getting something under the back and gently removing it.

Inspecting through with a flashlight should not damage the product if you are careful but at the same time it is not really needed to detect bedbugs using the harbourage.

This is why the system was developed through field observation and is designed to facilitate the detection of faecal traces first and fore mostly as they are the easiest to confirm and the least likely to get miss identified.

I hope that clarifies.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the FTC and AUP I freely confirm that I have financial interests int he passive monitoring technology as the inventor.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  14. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 12:53:18
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thanks for clarification. The other issue is that because I sleep with a futon the monitor gets moved slightly each day. Just wondering how this might affect how it works.

Richard

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 12:59:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

It may delay detection by a day or two but as I am sure I said at the start with you the simple answer is to leave the futon down for a few days when your monitor.

As we have had results from passives used in locations such as cleaning stores in hotels we know they work a little better than we first thought. I am not going to be drawn into making claims of attraction though as this would normally require product registration and above all I have to be very ethical in the way that the product is positioned.

David

16. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 13:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

victimized - 1 day ago  » 
    I am really having a nervous break down over having bed bugs. It has been since just before Christmas since I've seen a live bug, and it was on my bedroom wall a few feet away from the bed and only about 2-3 from the open electrical outlet. It was a nymph.
    The guy came on 5 January and sprayed the room with Phantom and did some dusting and I think he used the rapid freeze on the box springs too. You can see the residue along all the cracks on my bed frame and nightstand which sort of made me happy, because I do not have any prejudice against base board jockies.
    However, today was yet another day of finding new red marks on me. These I found at the very very bottom of my ear lobes right where the ear meets the chin. They were NOT there as of last night. I check this and other areas constantly as there seem to be "hot spots" where I get bit often. Back of my ears, along the hairline on back of neck and forehead, nose, etc. Actually I get bit all over. So today I found a whole series of tiny red dots on my left ear lobe today and a couple more defined ones on the right. Every time I see this my stomach sinks as I know the problem is still there.
    I was examining my pillow last night and found very tiny red things, that stuck to the fabric almost like an egg or something but eventually got up with some tape. They are far too small to take a regular photo of but do not look to be bugs under my lens.
    I found a couple more today when I woke up on the sheet. They do not look like fecal stains but I also found what could maybe be old old fecal stains that were too small to detect or just went undetected before washing the pillow case along the folded edge.
    So, every day I now dread going to sleep as I know I will be getting bit. I also dread going to sleep because upon waking up and having to spritz my hair with alcohol I know I'll find new marks on me then and as the day goes by. Losing hope fast. I keep trying to pretend everything is OK and maybe it's a maybe but then I remember I have actually seen them in my home, it's real. It actually is real. We have them!
    I really need to know, considering the type of furniture I have and the walls I have... what should I do?? Would it be best to just get rid of my bed and buy a more practical one or maybe seal the panel cracks somehow? I really do love my bed but it's all wood and totally bed bug friendly. It's a Cali king and very hard to inspect.
    My passive monitor is attached to the head board as well and so far I do not see any signs of activity there but wonder if there could be someone home with no fecal stains on the outside part. How do I unstick it from the bed without shaking anyone out by accident? If it turns out to be empty, what a waste.
    Here are the images of my bed:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53132982@N02/5318603794/
    Also, people have recommended getting someone to treat my stuff with Vikane in a container or something but this is not an option. 1: because of cost 2: because no one does it nearby. What on earth can I possibly do with my crates of records? They cannot be put into the packtite, too tightly packed together for a Nuvan treatment to work, so what? They mean so much to me I can't part with them although I am also not sure they have even been affected but can't take that chance and assume they are clean.
    Also wanted to add that this afternoon when I woke up I saw something on my cat's fur. It is pretty long and our house is full of static so she's like a swiffer. Anyway I was almost sure I knew what it was, looked like the remains of a carpet beetle larvae shedding. Not 100% sure but almost entirely sure. We no longer really have any carpeting cept for in one room no one uses and I've only seen a couple of these, mainly in or near my kitchen cabinets.
    Thank you and hoping for some sound advice or even just some support as I'm really losing my mind. Going back to school this week and not sure how I wil be able to handle this at home, school full time, and a part time job.

BB`s love wood and looks like you have a lot of it.You have to lose all the wood or do a very intense steam cleaning...if it was me...id chuck the bed frame ,whats with all the wood on the wall?

17. victimized

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 0:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BB`s love wood and looks like you have a lot of it.You have to lose all the wood or do a very intense steam cleaning...if it was me...id chuck the bed frame ,whats with all the wood on the wall?

It's called panel, tongue and groove knotty pine panel. It isn't the kind people used in the 1970s that came in large sheets and looks like wood, this is real solid wood and very expensive. I had nothing to do with it but did have everything to do with leaving it up when we remodeled the room two years ago! This was before bed bugs were in my vocabulary so... had I known then I would have taken it all down.

If you think this is a lot of wood, you ought to see a very high-end Victorian home. Between the wood work-architectural detail and furnishings (heavy velvet drapes, etc) I can't imagine how bed bugs did not entirely over run people's homes then. I volunteer at a museum and have been wishing I could take apart the original beds and see if there are signs of long-gone infestations.

18. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jan 20 2011 7:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    The key feature of the product is that it induces the deposition of faecal traces on the white detection skirt.
    This is why the system was developed through field observation and is designed to facilitate the detection of faecal traces first and fore mostly as they are the easiest to confirm and the least likely to get miss identified.

Question David: don't bb's primarily deposit fecal matter only *after* they've fed? My limited observations of 20+ bugs in jars over the last two years seem to indicate that hungry bugs poop very little if at all. So does that mean the passive monitors might be missing this whole important category of bugs?

jrbtnyc

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,683 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982