Really need advice

(11 posts)
  1. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 10:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I need advice about my situation.

I realized I moved into a house with bed bugs about two months ago. Within two weeks we started having the house treated. Both bedrooms were treated with Suspend and D-force. All the other rooms were sprayed along the baseboards. We put encasements on our mattresses, washed all our clothes, and threw out what we were convinced we couldn't save.

We have had three treatments, the last one was three weeks ago. I hadn't seen a bug in about a month when last night I noticed that I had a welt on the back of my leg and decided to inspect my bed before I went to sleep and saw one hanging out on the slats of wood on my ikea frame. I have no idea how it got in my bed. The legs to my frame are covered in baby oil several times a day, they are metal. My bed is in the middle or the room. The frame and the slats have been sprayed several times to the point that they were dripping. I keep my pjs on my bed and wash then every other day. I wash my sheets twice a week. There is nothing else in my room besides a tv and two fan which haven't been moved since we started treatment. There aren;t even any dirty clothes in my room. I bag them as soon as I take them off. I bag my shoes, purse and everything else I take out of the house.

So today I am armed with murphy's oil soap and DE. What else can I do besides take the frame apart and inspect it. I haven't seen any holes in my mattress cover or pillow cover. I'm sick and frustrated and scared my landlord won't pay for my PCO to come back out. If I have to pay I will have to wait a few days, plus my PCO is really busy and currently treating a house I spread them to when I first moved in.

We still haven't been able to unpack and it's been two months. My roommate is away right now so I'm alone. The house is small but three floors.

I really need advice to calm me down. I wash just starting to sleep again.

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 14:56:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Beatrice,

I'm so sorry for this. You need another visit by the PCO and I don't see why they or your landlord wouldn't schedule it. It's only been three weeks since the last one.

I know this is frustrating but it sounds like you are doing everything right. There must have been some eggs somewhere that hatched after the last treatment.

Keep doing what you are doing. It will end. Lots of us need multiple treatments. That is sad but it is how things work with what is available out there. Hang on to the fact that there's been definite progress, it's working and it will soon be over.

Taking apart the frame to clean is a good idea. But you do need the PCO to come back.

It will get better, and your bugs will get dead.

3. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a call into my landlord and my PCO, I'm crossing my fingers that we can schedule another visit without any issues.

I was going to put out DE before I saw the bug last night but now I'm not sure if I should do that or wait until I have another treatment. I just went and purchased carpet tape, baby oil, a paintbrush for the DE, more trash bags and more plastic bins.

My goal is to treat until they are dead so I can stay and save money to buy all new furniture when my lease is up and get the hell out of here. My fear is spreading them to anyone else. The wait is killing me. I've been very cautious since discovering the problem but there was a period of time that I was unware of it.

I'm afraid to visit my friends, some of whom just purchased homes and expect me to visit as a friend. People have offered to let me move in with them but I know that is a horrible idea. I have no idea what to do about my relationship, I can hardly go back to life when we first started dating and always went back to out separate apts.

The one good thing is that I know I'm still allergic to bites. The new one is swollen and sore like the first ones I got. So I'll be sure if I get bit again.

I almost wish I lived in NY so I wouldn't feel like the crazy person with the problem no one thought really existed.

I appreciate any advice or words of encouragement anyone could give me.

4. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 16:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I can offer only empathy moslty. As nomo said, sounds like your doing everyting right. Perhaps... check and see if you can find somesort of incoming source: a window--even perhaps where you or your partner work. Sounds like your sure the house was infested as or before you moved in ... so then the q. is ... How did the house get the bugs in the first place: Find that out--then you'll be really better off. it might be a case that one or two bus were missed or skipped over the weak poisons they now only offer.

Could also be fro mthe inital moving vans. remember--lots of people "skip town" without saying to the whole world were moving because
    we have bugs--Bed bugs!
    taking trains or crowed public transit?
    the list goes on.

Focus on IF THEY ARE STILL GETTING IN THE HOUSE FIRST. This would be the most sound way to approach such an open ended question. There is little we can do about the past, but if there are BB's still coming in .... That needs to be addressed best sooner than later right?

Steam works about as well IMHO--but it is only a contact killer.
    Treat the bed like an operating room table even a bit more, as in--yes clean it well again, and don;t even touch it--unless your going to sleep.
    yeah ... could have been an egg ... was it a small bug or a full grown one can you tell?
    I hate to say it but with all the isolatioin going on with the bed YOU or a pet or a friend must/might have intoduced that bug up on the bed frame.
    You'll pull thru fine--but yes it is a pain in the pettuttie, especially when you know there may only be one--or a few!

5. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 16:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a cat and she was in my room for most of yesterday, which concerns me cause then I have no clue where she might have picked it up from. Once she gets in there I have to leave her, she'll dig her nails into the bed if I try and move her which of course would destroy the mattress cover, the third I have bought.

I tried to save the bug but it crawled into a little hole in the slat so I had to squish it to the point it fell apart. It wasn't dark though and it seemed to only have a tiny bit of blood it in if any. I am hoping it wasn't an adult but the stage right before adulthood. So far I don't see anything else. I was thinking of using double sided tape on the underside of the slats and the inside of the frame. Is there a way to treat the frame with DE or should I stick the Murphy's? The frame is worthless but I can't afford to by a new one right now and pay for all the ziplocks, sprays, DE etc. I'm really hoping to isolate it again.

There were a lot of people living in the house before us, with very little furniture. If I knew then what I knew now......
    My only fear moving in was bugs, like cockroaches and such...

Just my luck

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 16:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Is the house attached to other or a detached property? If attached check the neighbours to ensure they are also bed bug free.

If you are detected think about where you go on a regular basis that could be a source of the bed bugs.

From your description it sounds like it found its way into the slats of the bed via the ceiling. If they cant get to food the easy way they will often start to seek more elaborate routes.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 16:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Attached house, no bugs in the other houses. I think my neighbors are avoiding us now.

8. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 16:25:57
    #

Login to Send PM

so true david ... a house with a lot of people, but hardly any furniture, sounds suspect.
    Is the light over the bed or close enought to the bed that this may be the source?
    Can you check the ceiling ...? I'd imagine .... if the infestation was that bad--the old owners must have painted or cleaned the ceiling v. well. You would soon see pooh evidence blood trail evidence on the ceiling, or around the lights themselves ... If, David is right here.
    I'd get the bed away from the light if it is under a light--either way.
    best wishes Beatrice

9. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 16:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

No trace of them on the walls.

Willow did you have them and get rid of them?

10. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 18:05:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I took apart my bed and vacuumed sprayed it down with Murphy's twice, along with my mattress cover just to be on the safe side. I didn't stay here last night so I did it again today. I put the legs of the bed in cups of mineral water and greased the legs in vaseline.

Keep your fingers crossed for me

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 18:41:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I had a lot, and I got rid of them--it almost killed me financially AND PHYSICALLY--WRECKED MY EMOTIONAL STATE AND IT ALMOST ruined SEVERAL FRIENDSHIPS--ALL PART IN THE COURSE OF BECOMING INFESTED WITH BED BUGS FOR MANY OF US--SAME OLD STORY....
    I was supposedly over-reacting vs. you folks are in serious denial.
    (Sorry about the caps). It locks all the time—and this time I just left it looking angry, as it is very aggravating!
    In addition, the difference is in a multi unit dwelling there is just as much of a chance of them coming down into your place from the ceiling. That is your neighbor’s floor. So, that is for other folks, to know, really. Lots of us do not think to “look up!”
    Look up during all infestations to make sure they are not climbing the walls and onto the ceiling in order to avoid the poisons.
    I washed my bathroom walls with very thick laundry detergent every three days for three weeks—whether or not it did any good I can’t say for sure. I mean, I got rid of the bugs—but I did like 10 other things too on top of that:
    Excessive, searching, steaming, laundry, vacuuming, DE--ing, crying and praying, rubbing alcohol for cleaning A--a heavy plastic coated bad and box set, the metal frame (used steam on that too.)And to heck with what the steam did to the metal frame as far as I care. So what, it rusted up some. And I used (carfully) 91% rubbing alcohol in spray bottles as my contact kill. I used aobut 40 pints of that or better in the first month.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams