Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Really concerned about new apartment

(6 posts)
  1. Losingit97

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 18 2018 13:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Me and my mother looked at a new apartment today. It was a subsidized housing apartment with 3 floors and it looked nice but I noticed in the cracks and corners of the apartment dead bed bugs and spiders everywhere. I'm freaking the fuck out. We really need this apartment as it's best deal we've seen and we need it to get by. But the idea of facing this hell again is making hyperventilate. We showed the dead bugs to the owner and they jumped right on it. Claiming that the apartment was treated by orkin with spray twice and that if we wanted would be treated again just to make sure before we moved it and would be treated should we see something again. I mentioned my concern to my mother but she just told me it would taken care of and to chill the fuck out and that she didn't need the stress of me freaking out. I have no idea how to feel about this. On one end it's only 150 a month and it's a two bedroom. At the same time possibly thousands in damages and personal belongings thrown out along with more emotional stress.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 18 2018 14:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

For $150 a month it sounds like you're getting damn good service.

3. Losingit97

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat May 19 2018 2:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The other that bothers me is that the exterminator only sprays, no heat treatment. I know it's not a silver bullet but i'd feel much safer if it was heat treatment with spray after.

4. misery

Posted 12 months ago
    Sat May 19 2018 13:23:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I had bedbugs multiple times from neighbors and moving into infested apartments. I never used heat treatments. I beat them with spray and CimeXa. It is possible to do.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. K2000

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Jun 18 2018 2:40:32
    #

Login to Send PM

FINALLY found a situation similar to mine...Losingit, I totally feel the exact way. If I can please get an answer from somebody who knows what they're talking about.....what an Angel. What would be deemed a "safe" amount of time after at least 2 chemical extermination treatments to move into a new apt.? I too am disabled with a rare type of migraine that literally shuts down my ability to walk, see & sometimes lose consciousness when an episode hits. I was finally approved for an apt. in a very nice building that was built as a luxury hotel 100 years ago....it's an old bldg., but very beautiful AND a State Landmark, so I would think they would HAVE to keep on top of the insect problem. It is income qualified, and you do get people who are either mentally ill, don't give a shit, or just simply are not educated on bed bug topic. I was so excited to start moving my stuff over & only took a few items at first since I can't find anybody to help me move, & would spend time to get the "feel" of the place. Few days later, huge itchy welt on my lower leg...I was sitting on the floor one night & one must have been starving. This apt. had been vacant for about 2 months. The next day I bring more stuff & froze when I saw 2 bed bugs on the damn kitchen counter, both on their backs, then found one in the bathroom. I immediately called the manager in a freak out panic attack & I asked her if the last tenant had the bugs....she said yes they did, but they have fully treated the apt. & what I'm seeing are the ones coming out of hiding & dying. She sent the exterminator over the very next day to do another treatment. I went over again tonight & found one dead one on the kitchen floor, plus some random spiders. This property manager is a really good one & she's sorting out the riff-raff & making a lot of improvements since the last one was too lazy to get a handle on things. I paid my first months rent, deposit, and had electric switched over after paying them a hefty deposit, and I have less than a dollar to live on the next 2 weeks. June is almost over and the place is still empty except for a few nick nacks & a lamp ~ the only furniture is a metal chair. I am scared to death to bring anything else over until I know enough time has passed & a "clean bill of health". I know there is never a 100% guarantee, but i'm heartbroken.....feel like the place is tainted now, like I won't ever fully relax in my new place. The manager has assured me it is safe to move in....even my shrink told me it should be fine ~ she's a landlord also & has dealt with these spawns of satan before. The anxiety & panic is really mounting now....July is almost here, so I'll pay rent there, but have to be out of this place by June 30. I am just freaked out by this &will not take anything else or furniture over there, until I can at least have some peace of mind...I'm not going to turn into a person with blazing lights & checking & re-checking every night until the sun comes up. These little fuckers will, can, and do drive people to the brink of madness ~ People who haven't had to deal with these don't understand the severe psychological trauma these bring on. I have heard & seen pictures of people with scars where they've been bitten so many times, because of the intense itching. All it takes is one itchy sore to turn into a wicked infection. This is extreme, but if you have some kind of bacteria on your skin or fingernails, I believe it could turn into a MERSA situation. If the physical scars fade away, the psychological damage will always be there, depending on the state of mind you're in before the bugs get to you. It could drive an already unstable person into psychosis or insanity & they can do shit that is dangerous or deadly to get rid of them. I read an article somewhere that a guy lost his mind one day, took all his clothes off, set the house on fire & walked away stark naked. Just the paranoia could really fuck you up.....I haven't stepped foot into a movie theater, library, or a restaurant for years.....I even get nervous when I see my therapist, I don't know who was sitting in that chair before me & could have had one on them, it drops off & clings to my shoe or something. I mean, it's endless....all it takes is one or two to start an infestation, & they can ruin your life financially & psychologically. I'm sick to death hearing it's a "public health issue" only because they say the bugs don't transmit disease. What kind of lazy bullshit is that??? This is a fucking severe epidemic that most certainly affects "public health". I'm quite certain everybody here has seen photos or videos of the worst of the worst & it's mentally ill people who live in that shit! If that isn't an in your face case for "the broken mental health system", then what is? How about picking just one crazy governmental program......oh, I don't know......the mating habits of fruit flies, yank their grant & fund a program to figure out how to eradicate this scourge, and actually make a positive difference in people's lives, save what sanity is left & prevent people going bankrupt to get rid of these things? That's assuming the pest control companies don't have the government in its back pocket so they can keep charging close to $1,000 for each treatment, that doesn't even work half the time! Hmmmmm.....kinda reminds me of our healthcare system, and pharmaceutical companies charging hundreds of dollars per pill for cancer patients? There's big money involved here & no excuse for this out of control bed bug epidemic. Me thinks the pest control peeps are gladhanding with the higher ups who can figure this shit out & give people their lives back! Damn, didn't intend to go on this rant....all I wanted to know is how do I know it's safe to move my furniture in to a new apt. after treating these bastards, only to have one or two or some unhatched eggs to start it up all over again.......

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Jun 18 2018 21:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

K2000,
    Please start a new thread and repost your message there.
    If you do not know how to start a new thread, there’s an explanation and link in the How to use the forums FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,536 posts in 48,139 topics over 149 months by 21,209 of 21,563 members. Latest: John0094, Samworriesaboutbedbugs, thebooklouse