realized I had bedbugs last week... have some questions for the forum

(7 posts)
  1. bbbattle

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 1:18:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, first I want to say that I have been reading the forum obsessively since Monday when I realized that my bedrooom was infested. I have learned a lot here and had many, many questions answered by forum readers. I'm really greatful that this forum exists.

I don't want to be too long winded, but I'll say that I definitely know I have bbs. Was getting itchy welts and found feces on sheets, casts and a dead bb under my bed. I have spent nearly every free moment I've had since then doing reasearch or decluttering/cleaning.

So my bf and I laundered/dried all our clothes, bedding, are keeping most of our clothes/blankets/pillows in sealed garbage bags in another room upon return from the laundromat. Clothes I will be wearing until we are free of bbs are in plastic boxes with lids that seal instead of drawers- which I now realize may not be sufficient to keep bbs from hiding in my clothes. Is it?

What I'm really worring about now is that perhaps through my cleaning/caulking/filling gaps in base boards and between spaces in floor boards I've pushed the bugs deeper into my apartment bld? I haven't used any pesticides because I read that that often just causes bugs to spread. I now have climb-ups on the legs of our bed but before that I had the legs standing in bowls of soapy water. I took the bed apart and didn't find any bugs but did find something that looked like eggs nestled in the sides of the wooden slats under our mattress. I poured boiling water over them and tried to scrub them off with a stiff brush. Hope that's enough to prevent them from hatching- unless they already had. Yikes.

Have I made the problem more difficult to treat for the PCO by filling the crevases in the floor/baseboards where I think they're hiding?

We told our landloard and we have a PCO coming sometime this week to do an inspection. I have saved all the evidence of bbs I have found in a ziplock bag. Our landlord offered to split the cost of extermination with us. I live in NYC and I believe that he is required to pay for this because our bld has 3 units. Also the price quoted was $275, which (based on what I've been reading here) doesn't seem like enough. I like my landlord and don't want to alienate him but I want to have a reasonable treatment plan that includes return visits to kill off the eggs that will hatch after the first treatment. I also think the apt upstairs needs to be inspected/treated. Any advice on bringing this up with my landlord? Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks!

2. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 3:19:43
    #

Login to Send PM

call the PCO and find out what he is going to do and how thoroughly he intends to inspect... or ask him at the appointment. 275 seems like an ok price if he does a good job. Did the PCO give you any prep instructions???

Also, ask him what chemical cocktail he is using so that you can write it down. It might be helpful, as the mix of chemicals does different things and some bugs are resistant to some chemicals.

3. bbbattle

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 15:45:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bushbugg,

I will ask all those questions when the PCO comes to our place. He hasn't been there yet so I haven't gotten any prep instructions. I've done a lot on my own. Maybe too much, but I just don't want to be bitten and I don't entirely trust that extermination will work. I will follow the directions he gives though.

Simple question: Do my clothes (the ones I'm wearing while we're being treated) need to be in ziplocks or are plastic boxes with lids good enough?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 15:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The whole apt. needs treatment, not just the bedroom (just making sure that's what you meant). Also, if the price is $275 per visit, then it may not be any cheaper than anyone else, since traditional treatments can take multiple visits.

You should expect this will take multiple visits. (If there are other infested units in the building, the landlord needs to find and deal with them too.)

Plastic boxes with lids are generally not airtight so theoretically, bed bugs could get in. Whether they will climb the sides and do so may depend on the box's design and texture.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. baumannm

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 17:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

The whole apt needs treatment not just the bed room. As for the price Nobugsonme is correct on everything he has posted. The only thing i would really like to give you a heads up is that traditional chemical treatments, with vacuuming and steaming are not always affective it can take multiple visits some times 3-5 depending on the experience of the pest control company and the level of infestation. My best advice would be ask if they offer thermal treatments. Also ask if they can do a inspection on the surrounding room up , down, left and right.

Also check out the company research other customers who have used there services see how there success rate is on eliminating the problem. As forth the pest control company I work for we never treat a room in a hotel, apt or a duplex with out checking the immediate surrounding units, and what is scary i would have to say 65 percent of the time we do find something in the surrounding units.

6. bbbattle

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 21:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks,
    that's super helpful! I'm sure I'll have more questions after the inspection.

7. bbbattle

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 1 2010 12:02:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Alright, so the PCO is treating the whole apt and I'm chipping away at the prep work. They're coming this friday which doesn't really leave us much time to do all the work. Sigh...
    We are emailing the PCO a list of questions but I also wanted to pose my questions here. Let me say again that I'll go with the what the PCO recommends but I like to be informed so here goes...

I have lots of musical instruments guitars, keyboards, effect pedals... PCO said bag everything but it's not really possible to clean that stuff. Spritz non-wooden items with 90% alcohol? Cross my fingers that the acoustic guitar is clean? Is murphy's oil soap safe?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07