Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Realistic potenial harborage or paranoia?

(10 posts)
  1. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 19 2008 21:51:26
    #

Login to Send PM

My wife thinks I am going overboard because I looked at the doorknob as I walked out of the ground zero infestation bedroom and began looking at the knob plates, strikeplate and mumuring about needing to DE and caulk them.

She say's I'm going way overboard that the PCO says we are in the clear and to stop being so caulk/DE crazy.

So fellow BB warriors, do you think the door components are realistic harborage sites or am I just cracked?

Jim

2. itchynscratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 19 2008 22:40:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Tell your wife if you guys want to make up some of the money you have lost fighting bedbugs, I will hire you at time and a half to caulk my apartment!

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2008 1:45:32
    #

Login to Send PM

"I will hire you at time and a half to caulk my apartment! "

Sorry itchy I have to stealthily use the crystal clear caulk to do the door parts.

Hopefully it will cure before she notices. Gotta love that crystal clear stuff.

Jim

4. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2008 18:19:37
    #

Login to Send PM

They love wood. If you look inside the door handle you'll see that lovely unprotected wood area drilled out for the handle to go through with lots of space for a whole family. I think you're justified.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 1:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Exactly my thought on it. Now if some PCO here says they have never found BBs there then I'd relax otherwise the caulk gun and DE is coming out again.

Jim

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Caulking is good, I did it, I steam these areas also. These critters can be just about anywhere and I try to leave no stone unturned. Smoke detectors and the plates that hold them to the wall can have some possibility also. I bagged my detectors and threw them out and later installed new ones. In the smoke detectors manual there is a mention that insects could gather which could set off a false alarm. If you view Lou Sorkin's pictures you will see bbs in a screw located in a chair. Lou notes that the discovered infestation was in that screw on one side of the chair and the other side was clear. A powerful image.

7. buggedoff

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you have a really bad infestation?

8. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I think wood is always a possible harbor.

9. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 12:19:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I consider one bug a bad infestation because with the sighting of one usually there is more. Hard to determine because my wife discovered and had it cleaned up before I got home so I had no chance to view the problem. Also hard to determine because of nymphs and eggs that may not stand out as easily as adults.

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 12:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't know the scope of the infestation. We had people stayin who the ground zero was that bedroom. When they left they took all their stuff, the mattress that was in there, along with the couch and loveseat from the living room.

We discovered bugs in the bedframe and after the first PCO visit we tossed it along with some other cheap furniture at the dump.

We have only seen one live one since, on the second visit sitting on top of the wooden underbed storage thing which got sprayed 2 more times, found 3 dead ones when I shifted the thing, my guess is they fell out of it, and I caulked it up tight after the third spraying.

We never got bit in the master bedroom and the only sightings were in the one. The whole apartment was treated though.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,863 posts in 45,896 topics over 139 months by 20,212 of 21,020 members. Latest: Lima Rosa, afraidofbugs18, Bbt25