Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Ranting and a question about laws in NJ

(5 posts)
  1. ouchouchouch

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 18:19:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in an apartment with my mother in nj. it's very small, i slept on the couch and she sleeps in her bedroom.

i started noticing bites about 2 weeks ago. they were annoying because they itched slightly and i joked they must be bedbugs. its the summer, i'm always getting bit. only when the bites kept coming did the idea that it could be a bed bug popped in my head. google was my friend, and i because completely freaked out to learn a "bed bug" is not a microscopic mite but a huge blood sucking vile insect.

i got upset with the idea of bed bugs and wished it wasnt true, and lo and behold i find one wriggling around my shower the next morning.

my bites have only gotten worse. i'm getting them what i believe is hours after i get bit, because in the morning i think "free from bites" and later in the day i'm developing hives in some areas, and plain itchy swollen red spots in others. they're mostly single, but i have a few clusters of 3 and some lines of 3s, like the one that popped up on my hip on my way home from working all day and not noticing anything at all.

i'm wearing long sleeves and jeans and big socks in the heat of the summer because i don't want to get bit anymore and i dont want anyone outside to be grossed out by me.

last night was hell, too. after hoping its "something else" and that one bed bug was the ONLY one in the whole apartment which we immediately killed, i found the "shell" of one last night in the bathroom also. it was disgusting.

everyone thinks i'm making it up, or i'm overreacting. i'm so itchy it hurts to walk and every night i stay up for hours and hours until i'm exhausted because i can't stand the thought of sleeping with the bugs. i made my mom sleep on the couch and me sleep on her bed, only i'm getting bit here now too. did i mention my mom has NO BITES whatsoever, while i look like i slept naked in a mosquito filled swamp on a hot summer night?

i'm at my wits end. the landlord said the guy below us thinks he has them too, and called in a bug guy or something himself. my mom told me the law in nj means the landlord isnt required to do anything, and if you et an exterminator you have to pay hundreds out of pocket. i am willing to blow weeks of my pay to get rid of them, but i have a horrible feeling if i exterminate my apartment they will come back, from inside the walls or someone else's apartment in my building. no one else is going to call an exterminator and pay for this if they dont even have any problem.

because of this i'm getting really depressed and i'm crying right now as we speak. my grandparents came and helped me tear my area apart weeks ago... theyre are no signs of these damn bugs and they're not living in my couch here i first got bit, nor do i see them in my mom's bed where i'm getting bit now. i only saw those two (well, 1 and the shell) in the bathroom. i cant see where they're hiding, i dont know how many they are, and i have no idea how they manage to bite me when im paranoid staring at the sheets, my body constantly, even waking up many times in my sleep to stare into my bed like a crazy person. i dont see them on me, and im gettin g bit like crazy, and what started off as red bumps that itched when i rubbed them are now eternally itchy welts and red spots that are itching constantly.

i dont know what to do.

2. prayforamiracle

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 21:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I am so sorry. I know, how crazy this can make someone.
    maybe its a very litle infestation. maybe you brought one home from public transportation or work and he ended up in the shower. How does he get there. Thought the fixtures or did he travel on clothing to the shower? If you can't find them.
    So you will have to professionally pco, or they will only multiply. Talk to the other guy who thinks he has them. I would start washing and putting your stuff sealed in plastic. Don't move things around too much as to scatter them and make it harder to pco them. Start doing some summer cleaning. Get rid of junk and clutter. Vaccum, wash the floors with murfy's oli soap. Get that DE recommended on the site. Apply to holes and light fixtures. I put down on the floor and then covered the floor with plastic as to not have it get in the air or harm my cat. I don't know maybe you can do this on carpet areas. But CHECK in the FaQ.
    The whole thing is confusing. say you bring one home as long as its not a pregunat female, then you would have just one coming out to bit you. The De and bedlam work , put get a pro to do there job. This site really helped me and you can and will get throught this so much faster as ther are so many good facts to know. It looks like everyone is going to start living differently in bug bed defense. Get the mattaress incasements on this site. The pillow covers or pillows they have are also bed bug proof.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 23:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it may be the landlord's duty to get rid of pests n NJ.

Read the section on NJ here:
    http://bedbugger.com/2006/10/22/faq-tenants-landlords-owners-and-bedbugs/

It supplies a link that goes into more detail on NJ law.

You can find the relevant housing codes at your local library (reference librarians are paid to help you find such information).

A local tenants association might help advise you too.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ouchouchouch

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 1:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

this is all so hard...

thanks for the responses you two.

i want to move in with my grandparents, i can't live here anymore. this apartment is so small, there are so many cracks and holes and places to hide, i want to be out of here. i dont know how i'm gonna get to and from work, but i need to leave tomorrow.

i'm freaking out because i brought a big art portfolio from here to my grandparents house for safe keeping when this fiasco started. i'm obsessing over the idea that i brought bed bugs over to their house, my safe haven. i dont know what to do about that, hopefully they stored the portfolio in the basement.. it would make me feel better, im sure the bugs would not have crawled out seeing as how there were no people around to feed on.. maybe i can throw it away, its only been there a week now.

i'm obsessing also over the idea i brougth them to work. so what if i live someplace safe from the bugs, and come to work and bring them home with me from the seats or something. what are the chances, does anyone know?

tonight i found two of them in my mom's mattress, where i had been sleeping cuz i started getting bit on her bed. i tried to pick one up and it squished blood and shit all over.. i cant believe how much disgustingness came out of such a tiny bug. another one is intact, but its tiny, and its in a baggie with the blood-shit napkin. for evidence, i guess.

its easier for my mom to deal with, she has no bites. i'm all bit up and crying and obsessing. i'm so petrified they will follow me when i go to my grandparents' home to get away from them, or ride in my mom's car with her and pick them up again.

what are the [expletive deleted] chances? what do i do to stop worrying? i cant deal with this anymore. i dont even know how anyone can sleep with an infestation. i cant lay my head down next to these bugs, when i know as soon as i fall asleep they're going to bite me everywhere and my body is going to look like hell again.

this is one of the worst things ive ever experienced in my entire life.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 19 2008 0:15:32
    #

Login to Send PM

ouch,

I know how stressful this is. But try not to panic. You can get through this.

You need to find out the laws. I suspect your landlord may be liable for treatment.

No one can tell you the odds on whether you took the bed bugs to work or your grandparents. That's going to depend on a lot of factors: how many bed bugs you have, where they were in your home, where the stuff is that you wore or took out of the home, how long you have had them, and luck.

Try to be calm and realize that many people somehow don't take them to work or infest their cars or relatives' homes.

I would assume you have not spread them, for now, and focus on doing what you can to get rid of them and avoid spreading them in future.

Read the FAQs on travel (http://bedbugger.com/faqs/travel) which will help you avoid spreading bed bugs from now on.

If you really can't sleep under the circumstances, you might consider isolating the bed. There's a faq on this here: http://bedbugger.com/faqs/thebed/

It is a lot of work, but if done properly, it can allow people to sleep in their beds during treatment without being bitten.

I personally did not isolate, but everyone has to make up their own minds based on the pros and cons.

Fleeing to your relatives' home may put them in danger of getting bed bugs. (Yes, maybe they already have them, via the portfolio, but that likelihood is lessened if it was kept away from where the bed bugs harbored in your home).

The bottom line is if you already spread them, it is too late to change that. But you can take steps to avoid spreading them from now on, assuming you have not yet. Try to be calm and take positive steps. We're here if you have questions or need to vent.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,862 posts in 45,896 topics over 139 months by 20,212 of 21,019 members. Latest: havekidswilltravel39, Lima Rosa, afraidofbugs18