(3 posts)
  1. Mark1986

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Apr 5 2010 16:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

A few month back my boyfriend and I moved into a new apartment. Several weeks later I found one bedbug. After looking high and low there were no signs whatsoever of any bugs, bites, eggs, etc. We bought a mattress/pillow encasements, bed bug spray, washed clothing and couch covers and cleaned thoroughly so we would be able to easily detect any sign of bugs. Nothing came up, so we stopped worrying.

About three weeks ago I was traveling on a Friday night and got to my parents house and had three welts on my left arm. They itched, but since I have a peanut allergy, I thought a salad I ate may have had some almonds. Then, three nights ago I woke up with a large welt on my finger.

I guess my question is: Does this seem like potential bed bug patterns or would any bites be more evident? Would the actual bed bugs be evident? Because as of now I have not found any, aside from the original one.

2. Mark1986

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 3 2010 12:29:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to follow up, I went about an entire month with no sign of bites or bugs. Last Thursday, I returned home from work, made dinner and cleaned the kitchen. (The landlord had new windows put in and the kitchen was dusty.) After finishing cleaning, my right forearm had four, almost linear, welts on it. They weren't too itchy but swelled to the size of a dime or nickel.

I can't help but think this is a bedbug thing? I thought it possibly could be mites, but have never had a mite problem or allergy to my awareness. Again, no sign of bugs (even with a white comforter). Should I be taking any more precautions other than keeping a keen eye out for bugs?... (I already have sprayed and have a mattress encasement - this is NYC I'm in).

Thanks

3. Mark1986

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 4 2010 11:53:19
    #

Login to Send PM

So we have found the source of the problem. We live in a four-story, 6-unit walk up (2 units per floor w/ ground floor retail) and a resident on the 2nd floor has a bad case of bed bugs. That said, we are on the 4th floor but have found 3 dead bugs which I assume have migrated up. I am not sure why they are dead, but it could be because I have been very proactive and spaying, cleaning etc.

My landlord is having an exterminator come and do the second floor units as well as mine. He will be using a environmentally friendly alcohol based solution it sounded from his explanation. Does anyone know if this works?

Like I said, I don't think I have a full blown outbreak, but someone else does 2 floors below me. What are the odds of that spreading badly given that I am taking steps to counter it?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox