Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Random BB questions

(10 posts)
  1. astrogirl

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jun 2 2019 18:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just curious the likelihood of BBs living in or under carpeting as opposed to furniture etc?? Also, people who don’t react to bites, is there still a bite on the skin and they just don’t itch? Or are the bites barely visible or just non existent? Last question, what’s the best way to narrow down the cause of skin reactions once BBs have been ruled out? Thank you!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 14:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

astrogirl - 19 hours ago  » 
    I was just curious the likelihood of BBs living in or under carpeting as opposed to furniture etc??

That would depend on the living space. It's pretty common if a mattress or futon is placed directly on the carpet or if someone is sleeping on the floor. Otherwise it would take a fairly large infestation where all of the prime real estate was already claimed.

Also, people who don’t react to bites, is there still a bite on the skin and they just don’t itch?

Of course there is still a skin penetration, the bed bug still feeds, but in my case I experience no swelling or discomfort from single or multiple bites. It takes feeding many bed bugs all at once in a contained area for my skin to have any reaction.

Or are the bites barely visible or just non existent? Last question, what’s the best way to narrow down the cause of skin reactions once BBs have been ruled out?

You may want to visit with an allergist, I was helped beyond belief when at thirty-eight all of a sudden everything in Florida wanted me dead. I was living off of nasal spray and completely addicted before undergoing several years of shots to help my system adapt.

Thank you!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 21:38:19
    #

Login to Send PM

astrogirl - 1 day ago  » 
    I was just curious the likelihood of BBs living in or under carpeting as opposed to furniture etc?? Also, people who don’t react to bites, is there still a bite on the skin and they just don’t itch? Or are the bites barely visible or just non existent? Last question, what’s the best way to narrow down the cause of skin reactions once BBs have been ruled out? Thank you!

Yes, depending on severity of infestation, you can have bed bugs in "out-of-the-way" places. Sometimes, not severity, but insecticide application causes them to go into "out-of-the-way" places.
    I don't react badly. See the picture series below. About an hour passed from bite to non-reaction.bite reaction on my hand by louento.pix, on Flickr]Bed bug bite reaction and then disappearance[/url]

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. astrogirl

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Jun 4 2019 10:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi big dummy. Thanks for answering. I did go to an allergist in January and did the whole allergy testing. Like you, pretty much allergic to everything under the sun. I live in NJ btw. She prescribed xyzal to try first because the shots take years to build up immunities. The Xyzal just made me super sleepy but still having weird skin reactions at night. It never happens at work or elsewhere. I guess I should go back and see about the shots. It’s just weird because I never had this in my old residence. I’ve only been living in my new place for a year. And, the first 4 months were great and then the weird stuff started happening. I’m 41 and getting old sucks. Hahaha. Too many changes. Sorry for rambling.

Thank you Lou for the pics! Very interesting. You had an initial reaction but then it went away.
    If you guys including David are ever in the tristate area, let me know. I’d love to buy you guys dinner as a thank you for all your help on here!

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Jun 4 2019 19:31:54
    #

Login to Send PM

astrogirl - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hi big dummy. Thanks for answering. I did go to an allergist in January and did the whole allergy testing. Like you, pretty much allergic to everything under the sun. I live in NJ btw. She prescribed xyzal to try first because the shots take years to build up immunities. The Xyzal just made me super sleepy but still having weird skin reactions at night. It never happens at work or elsewhere. I guess I should go back and see about the shots. It’s just weird because I never had this in my old residence. I’ve only been living in my new place for a year. And, the first 4 months were great and then the weird stuff started happening. I’m 41 and getting old sucks. Hahaha. Too many changes. Sorry for rambling.
    Thank you Lou for the pics! Very interesting. You had an initial reaction but then it went away.
    If you guys including David are ever in the tristate area, let me know. I’d love to buy you guys dinner as a thank you for all your help on here!

My reaction has lessened over about 30 years of feeding. This shot is from a few hundred bugs feeding, but this was also many years ago. I've not reacted that much over the recent years. Never really itched.
    retromedial view forearm by louento.pix, on Flickr

Many thanks for the dinner offer.

6. BB_Slayer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jun 5 2019 14:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfinished wood is what they like best, which is often what box springs are made of. I have also seen a harborage on a piece of cardboard with duct tape.

7. astrogirl

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 20:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow Lou. A few hundred? Impressive but also a lil scary. 😱

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Jun 7 2019 10:37:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To add a little colour to the proceedings I proffer up this:

https://static.bed-bugs.co.uk/uploads/2018/07/bed-bugs-feeding-bite-pictures-sept-2011.pdf

It's a little old and due to health issue I had to stop colony feeding. At this level every week or so it takes it tole on you and with the trapped nerve I literally could not ingest enough steak to counter the effect of 5 or 6 jars.

So how do we narrow things down when we know they are not bedbugs, in my case the process I follow is called the "mystery bite pack" and its a workbook that I have people collect data in. Because the data is always in the same input format I am able to narrow down patterns and look for the common issue.

If that fails it's a case of visiting site and having a look / sense. This is obviously easier in the UK but one NY resident might tell the tale of me standing in her home and agreeing its not bedbugs but there is something in the room. Two circuits of the bed later I declare it "felt" equidistant from the bed which is not geographically feasible. A few minutes later I removed the single spiny spider beetle for the light fitting in the middle of the room and I no longer "felt" as I did in the room. Such ability tends not to be universally available but I was once called upon to travel to Argentina to look at a case.

If all of that draws blank I have usually documented something and on the last highly odd case Lou was able to enlighten me that in extremely rare circumstances hexapods can feed on people. Thankfully her GP was open to a consultation and agreed to research the medication I recommended and one dose later the problem was resolved.

Its where the CSI comes into our jobs and my background in molecular and forensics with a deep and dark personality makes me Grisham on this one.

Stage one is often "unhooking" from bedbugs and accepting that no signs is the time to move on. The sooner you do the sooner you actually resolve the issue that you actually have.

I am sure you can appreciate by now that there are time when so with a better understanding know that people don't have bedbugs. Sometimes they even go to the extend to defend why they cant prove its bedbugs. Over the years I have had a lot of hate mail, Facebook hate pages, snide attacks via social media and even a covert campaign or two on the forum.

I have come to realise that some people are over invested in the idea that they have bedbugs and can seek solace within a community. Sadly support does not mean the "pity party" they wanted an invite to, support is about empowering people and helping them see things correctly even when that takes them to uncomfortable places.

Hopefully you can see that at some stage you will be in a place to learn from all of this and that the knowledge you have gained will in fact prevent issue in the future.

The journey is of varying duration for different people but it is rarely one that is not worth taking.

I hope that helps and resonates.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. astrogirl

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jun 8 2019 20:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey David, thanks for your colorful input and the tough love. I’m totally not interested in a pity party but I am very interested in your workbook. I’m tired of being awakened at night by something and would love to figure it out. If there’s a link to obtain/purchase the workbook, I’ll check it out.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jun 9 2019 2:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Here is the section of my site that talks about this:

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/mystery-bite-pack/

I would advise you spend a little time on the site and it’s educational section. In some respects it is a lot more focused that the static content here because I only need to present the most optimal solutions.

It’s been an evolution as the initial 2005 structure is still in place. I would skip over the 230 page product report unless you need help sleeping.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver