1. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 12:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, guys

Carl from K-9 just left... Here are my observations:

1. Carl is a very cool guy. Not gruff or abrupt at all (as some of our "Manhattanite" posters have said). Very straight forward, knowledgeable... very easy to talk to. He even knocked $20 off the tab because my apartment was smaller than he had thought. We talked bed bugs and football. I like him.

2. Dog was Radar - a very sweet beagle who started sniffing right away. He did what seemed like a pretty thorough job-- I have a small apartment so there wasn't much ground to cover. Carl would say, "Find the bees! Find the bees!" but Radar already had his head to the floor. Carl says Radar detects eggs and LIVE bugs.

3. Radar alerted to two things: a black brief case which I immediately bagged and pitched out, AND my box spring. Now, I had sealed the box spring two weeks ago and I really haven't gotten any kind of a bite since (or none that I've noticed), so I think the problem has been contained in my apartment (can't say as much for the other apartments in my building...) But both my box spring AND mattress will be flagged and tossed, appropriately. These were the ONLY things Radar keyed in on, so I think I will be out of the woods VERY soon. I'll probably have Radar come back for an encore performance in a month (or after I flag and toss the the Mattress, Box spring)

So, in sum... it's still a little early to determine whether Radar was a success, but I can tell you that I am NOT crazy - I did have a light (very light, possibly a 1 or a 2) infestation, and I'm fairly confident the problem - for now - is at hand.

If you want piece of mind (which I won't have until I have a new bed and box spring) go for the dog.

2. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 12:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats and I do hope that you caught it early! Don't get too comfortable though, not yet as we all know that they are buggers to get rid of!

3. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 12:30:25
    #

Login to Send PM

You're right Angie... You can never really be TOO comfortable with this... But I am going to relax just a little... I *need* to!!! If they come back, or I have new bites... then I'll take it on.

4. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 13:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious to know how often you were getting bitten?

5. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 14:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Sporadically - about one to two bites a night or every other night....

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 14:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Who do we speak with to hire Radar?

7. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 16:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

LtDan. I jut Pm'd you

8. crawledon

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 16:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I just googled the company Radar works for. It seems that there are a few dogs and a few handlers. Any idea how to judge who to hire? Are all canine noses or handlers created equal?

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2008 2:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

DRKSD,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am really glad you found your culprits!

I am curious about that brief case. Did it ever sit on your bed? Did it go certain places (work)? Think about where it had been. It could have had bed bugs from being near the bed. But it could also have brought them into the home (as in the case with an infested workplace, transportation, etc.) Just worth thinking about, though it is hard to be certain.

For others,

This is the company being described: http://www.advancedk9detectives.com/index.html

I don't know any bedbuggers who've called and had anyone besides Carl M. and either Jada or Radar or both.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2008 7:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Nobugs

Yes, it's a relief that I found the little b*s*erds. And I certainly hope my small isolated experience will provide to hope to others... The important part of this is (aside from the black brief case, which I will get to in a second) that I nor the PCO could find any bed bugs on our own. But Radar did... So, I paid Carl and gave Radar a milk bone.

Good doggie!

Now, the brief case: I was a little puzzled as to why of ALL places in my living space they'd be hiding there-- the brief case was NOT, as far as I remember, near my bed or in my bed room. It came to my apartment around the beginning of December. It was my father's and was stored in the garage at my mothers house. As far as I know, it had been there for years. I used it to bring a stack of vinyl records that had been sitting in my mothers house-- for years... But, it was AFTER I brought the brief case to my apartment that the bugs came. The brief case was sitting next to a TV stand, then I had moved it next to my pac-man machine (yes, I have a full blown, real pacman machine in my apartment and THANK GOD bed bugs didn't find their way in there-- Radar didn't seem to alert to it anyway.) So, I don't know... I should have asked Carl if there's anything that could trigger a false alert from a BB dog. All I can say is Radar kept pawing at it over and over. Something must have been in there.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2008 16:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be interesting to know if anything else would trigger such a response. If not, then it might have been a conduit for bed bugs coming in...

12. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jan 25 2008 2:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Some entymologists propose a small percentage of BBs are wanderers, skipping typical harbourage either for avoidance or just on a whim. It stands to reason, they are likely to have some adaptive behaviors for moving to untouched areas or 'redder' pastures.

DRKSD4848: Did you ever put gym cloths in your briefcase? Anything with your sweat or scent might attract them. Even the sweat of a hand holding the leather handle might do it methinks. Then there is a possibility, unstated by others, that some BBs were in the records...

I think you could have heat treated your briefcase in the oven using the librarian protocol (130degF for 3 hours). I used the protocol for many objects such as that.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jan 25 2008 12:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

"DRKSD4848: Did you ever put gym cloths in your briefcase? Anything with your sweat or scent might attract them. Even the sweat of a hand holding the leather handle might do it methinks. Then there is a possibility, unstated by others, that some BBs were in the records..."

re: attraction to sweat or scent,

With all due respect to Bugologist, I have not seen data proving they are attracted by anything but a combination of CO2 and heat.

I have seen entomologists express skepticism on this too. I am not sure it should be presented as fact. If someone has some data, great.

14. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jan 25 2008 20:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Had no clothes of any kind in the brief case... Brief case was actually a hard shell and was a piece of junk. I'm going to heave the box spring an mattress next week because following the dog, the PCO treated my bed room again-- with Suspend SC and Excite.

Box spring has a mattress bag and was sealed so we didn't bother opening it up for treatment. But we did treat the frame...

The more I think about it though, the more I wonder (and I should have asked this) if the dog finds one or two items, would he/she only focus on those items and ignore anything else...

Now, the worrisome thing is, the next afternoon, I found a small, reddish mark on my forearm. It didn't itch, but still, what was it? It disappeared in a few hours...

This may be good enough for a second post, but how reachable is Lou S
    orkin? I want to contact him to see if he'd let one of his bed bugs bite me for the reaction I'd have...

15. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 1:02:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Fact is BBs end up on clothing and other articles far from any proximity to ongoing human metabolic processes. Some entymologists speculate in print (here and other places) that this may because of a) 'wandering' as an adaptive behaviour or b) attraction to a residual chemical secreted by humans. I think speculation in this regard is useful and welcome for anyone in here wishing to prevent further infestation.

Trouble is its tricky to note what is speculation or fact, when so many facts can be questioned based on sparse or incomplete research. For instance, I believe that when one of our members saw a bedbug jump, it did, but there is no research that indicates this is possible. It is frequently quoted as fact that BBs don't jump. So what do we make of our member who has visually identified BBs and saw one jump? We pat her on the head and say, 'oh maybe, but it's unlikely it was a bedbug' and that's that.

16. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 1:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Post problems, this is a duplicate of the previous post edited out. OMG its annoying!

17. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 1:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

This Paper by Siljander, that Madam Minister has mentioned, touches on possible chemical attractants.

http://www.entsoc.org/pubs/periodicals/ae/ae-2006/summer/siljander.pdf

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 9:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NotSoSnug!

Yes--

Siljander says bed bugs are highly attractive to heat and CO2.

Regarding human scents, he has this to say:

"Sebaceous gland secretions, or sebum, were
    found to be slightly attractive in two studies
    (Rivnay 1932, Aboul-Nasr and Erakey 1968), but
    only at a very short range."

Only slightly attractive and only at short range.

I get it's possible, NotSoSnug. And it's true about the wanderers.

However, I also think that if bed bugs are detected by a k9 to be in two locations only, including the bed, it's quite probable that the second location was involved in their entry into the home. (Or possibly their exit from it.) More likely the entry in if, as in this case, it's never been near the bed.

And the bed bugs started after the briefcase came into the home...

I am speculating, of course.

(Of course, what we should really be talking about is how cool it is that DRKSD4848 has a full-size pacman machine!!!)

DRKSD4848, Lou is reachable. You can PM me for his email. But if you haven't yet done so, do read S's and G's bite studies on the blog, which may take away your interest in doing this as well.

There are four, and this is the first (follow the links to the other four.)
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/04/18/bitefest1/

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 10:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

NotSoSnug--

Reading Maciej's story makes me even more sympathetic to the attraction to scent idea, though it doesn't appear to apply to the case above.

20. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jan 26 2008 20:46:14
    #

Login to Send PM

And I would have SHOT myself if the pacman machine became a harboring... But the proximity of the brief case worries me... Again, Radar didn't alert to it sooooo...

Thinking about it, an old arcade machine would be a perfect home for a bed bug, wouldn't it?

His alerting to the brief case still has me puzzled... That brief case hadn't been inside in probably five years-- it was stored in a garage... Why of ALL places would the bed bug go to the brief case? It wasn't ever near me, it was never near my bed, never near my couch, never near any place that I sit or sleep... Then there are the vinyl records... They had been sitting for years in a room at my mom's house where NOBODY had been in a long time (except maybe a few kitty cats, but I doubt they would have carried any over to them). Radar never alerted to them...

Could Radar have falsely alerted to the brief case when the bugs were actually (GASP!) in the pacman machine?

And as I had said, I REALLY worry that there were more bed bugs than Radar alerted to, but he ignored them for the brief case and box spring... He seemed to have particular interest in the back left corner of my couch, but he never pawed at it.

Nobugs: With regard to the S & G bite... Trust me, I've studied all those photos; even the one's on your bite page-- over and over and over and over... And it seems like I've had every kind bite: welts, small red blotches, pimple type marks, red dots... The first few that I noticed were itchy, the others were not... I figure the only way I'll know for sure is I... well... get bit. And I hope after being bit I can torture the bed bug that does the biting...

*sigh* I just dropped a grand today on a new mattress, box spring, frame and a pair of rubberized covers for the mattress and box spring. Anybody want to help me remove the old one?

BTW, Sleepy's said they will not even enter a apartment with an infestation... forget about removing the old mattress....

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 27 2008 0:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

HI DRKSD4848-- the reason I suggested the S and G stories was NOT the photos, just to be clear--it's that she got a PCO to let her be bitten to see if she would react differently than the marks she was getting at the time. If you haven't read it, it's an interesting saga. If you have, ignore this!

A mattress delivery service is smart not to enter homes of people who declare themselves infested. However, it does not mean that they don't pick up mattresses from people who do not know they have bed bugs or do not admit to being infested.

22. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 27 2008 2:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs! Thanks for the link to Maciej's story. It gives me added incentive to add my previous venue to the list hearing the eloquence and integrity of the writer. (I'm a sucker for eloquence apparently.)

While Siljander mentions sebaceous gland secretions as a minor attractant, he reports that other attractants are likely but unknown, and opines that residence time for many of the tests was inadequate. While it seems likely that transfer is the most likely source for clothing based habitation in some situations, I still hope for thorough and ongoing research to prove or disprove human 'host-derived volatiles' as attractants to BBs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula