Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Quick question about Packtite

(7 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 12:10:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to purchase a Packtite tomorrow but can't decide which one. The cost of the larger model will cause some financial pain for us but we are willing to make the investment. Living in an apartment makes it a little complicated. I know the Packtite will be running day and night for an extended period of time. Seems like the larger model makes a lot of noise. I'm looking for opinions on the amount of noise the heater/blowers make for both models. Thank you.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 13:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, NeverSurrender:

I've only used the larger one (the Closet). I was worried about the noise since I'm in an apt and none of the neighbors have noticed. It is more noise than a quiet fan but less noise than my window unit airconditioner. With winter here, I'm glad to have the closet. It's easy to use.

It was painful (cost wise), but I'm glad I got it. It has a white inside and I vacuum the outside (It seems like too much work to take it apart and put in a dryer). You can even do a very small nightstand. They say you can do chairs, but I haven't tried. Just my nightstand.

You can PM David James. David Cain is also testing electronics in it right now if I read a recent post correctly.

Good luck. I can't tell you the difference, but I was worried about noise and it isn't a big deal. I find it runs best on my carpeted area vs. the wood floors, but some people put a mat down (again PM David James about those kind of questions).

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. NeverSurrender

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 14:12:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you

4. MsLadybug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 21:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have both PackTites and was running the closet yesterday to test it out after it came back from being rented. I don't think its loud at all. Like a bathroom fan or a little louder. I don't think it would keep anyone up at night.

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 21:36:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Bathroom fan...that's right. Maybe even slighlty lower volume.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 6:36:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am a massive closet fan, not that the first one was not well worth it but the larger capacity is really helping around here.

The noise is lower than an extractor fan and we don't tend to notice it much but we do work in a warehouse rather than having it tucked away at home.

I will be writing a report on electronics this week and will try and have it online before next weekend so keep anything wrapped in cling film until then. We have been running all closet runs with a digital temperature recorder for QC purposes and to be able to prove to clients what has happened as well as a using some live samples to QC. Its all looking good so far.

I can also declare I have no vested interest in the company or product other than using it in our operations in London.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 8:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a shiny new Packtite Closet and would concur about the quietness of it.

You can fit a lot in it, and I understand it works more quickly than the smaller model. I have tested a number of items in it so far.

Two empty suitcases with lots of compartments took about an hour to reach 120 F.
    A thick down coat took about 20 minutes.

I would always use the temperature probe. I stick the probe into the deepest place I can find -- the inside of an insulated pocket in the down coat, the inside of an internal compartment in the suitcase, etc.

Once you reach 120F, you let it run an hour. If I am nervous that the item is especially thick and I can't get the temperature probe inside, I would bake it longer.

Doing more lighter loads seems like a good idea, rather than a densely packed load which would take hours to heat up.

(Disclosure: if you purchase a Packtite via the ads on this site, for example on the Packtite FAQ or Useful Stuff page, it helps support the running of this site at no additional cost to you. Please see the Disclosure Statement for more.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago