Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Questions about traveling

(2 posts)
  1. worriedinaz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 20 2015 3:27:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, my mom and I will be traveling out of state soon and I have a couple of questions about traveling. I read several of the links provided in the FAQ but would like a little more detail about some things.

1. Would it be okay to take a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol with us as an extra precaution?

2. Our trip is short planned so I don't know if we'll be able to find extra large Ziploc bags. Is there any way we could pack our bags that would make it easier to check in the morning? I've read examples where people only took what they needed at night but my mom is really cautious about leaving things unattended overnight so I don't know if I could convince her otherwise.

3. If we check our room and find nothing but find signs in the morning, what do we do with our clothing? The first night of our trip we'll be staying overnight in one hotel and then moving to a different hotel for the majority of our stay. I don't know if it will be possible to launder our clothing in that short amount of time.

4. How do I talk to my mom about all of this? We'll be traveling by car so she wants to bring a lot of stuff with us (on the other hand, I will be bringing a smaller amount.) There have been stories on the local news about bedbugs and my mom asks to change the channel or mute the TV.

5. For fyi, I checked TripAdvisor and bedbugregistry.com and the second hotel had a bedbug problem back in 2011 and most complaints were the hotel needed to be upgraded. I'm more worried about the first hotel (only an overnight stay) because a lot of the hotels had bedbug complaints and some were recent.

This seems pretty long but I don't know where else to turn to. Thank you.

2. bbcomox

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 23:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not an expert here, but I will offer my advice.

1. Would it be okay to take a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol with us as an extra precaution?
    I am not sure why this would help because you are not going to spray bedbugs in the hotel room. I would think if you see a bedbug, you would catch it with a glass and show it to the hotel. I don't think that the alcohol has a repellent effect.

2. Our trip is short planned so I don't know if we'll be able to find extra large Ziploc bags. You can buy extra large Ziploc bags at Walmart and Target. I got mine there.

Is there any way we could pack our bags that would make it easier to check in the morning?
    Clear bags will help to see.

3. If we check our room and find nothing but find signs in the morning, what do we do with our clothing?
    I will notify the hotel and ask my clothing to go through their hot dryers. So, I would make sure that I am brining things that can go into a dryer.

4. How do I talk to my mom about all of this? I cannot offer any advice here.

5. When I checked TripAdvisor and bbregistry, I would look for proactive hotels and managements. Given that there are so many travellers going through a hotel, bedbugs are bound to happen. I would look for hotel management that can take care of their guests.

My overall comment is that when you get home, inspect everything. For clothing, put them in the washer and dryer, as the dryer heat will kill bedbugs. If you have a Packtite machine, use it.

Have a fun trip!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982