Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Questions about my PCO's process

(8 posts)
  1. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 16:19:25
    #

Login to Send PM

So my PCO came today to spray; I asked what he was using, I didn't understand everything but one of the things is a growth regulator (or something that impacts the reproduction of the bugs). He said it would take about 45min to spray the apartment (a medium two-bedroom); I left, but when I drove by about 20min later on my way to the bank to get laundry quarters, his truck was already gone from the parking lot. Now I'm kind of scared he did a not-so-great job.
    There's also something I don't understand about his way to deal with the infestation. He's coming back in 21 days for a second round of treatment, but he said that after that, we'll start opening the bags containing my not-sanitized belongings one by one, and that after opening one, if bugs have not appeared for two or three days, we'll open another one, etc.
    That seems counterproductive to me. Thoughts?

2. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 22:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I know that there are different ways PCOs treat and just because the methods seem different doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. But I agree this does sound a little different.

I'm not sure I would be concerned at this point about the amount of time. I think a good PCO (who knows how to apply the pesticides most effectively) could possibly do this in 20 minutes.

But if all he's using is a growth regulator, my concern would be that method of treatment alone could take a very long time to eliminate them. You may want to see if he also applied another residual pesticide or dust. I think it is common best practices to use multiple types of treatments to be most effective. Typically this combined treatment (and sometimes steam is used too) will be repeated after 14 days to kill any eggs that have hatched since the first treatment.

If he's only using a growth regulator, it's my understanding the bugs will be able to continue to feed happily, but won't be able to reach maturity to reproduce. I'm not a professional, but I would think this treatment alone would take several months to get rid of them. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as bagging is concerned, some PCOs do it, others don't. It is more common, I think, to wash & dry clothing items and bag, but bagging other items is not as common, but it is sometimes done to allow the PCO access to treat the most likely infested areas. You may want to consider purchasing a packtite to heat treat these items if you do not feel comfortable with your PCO's process.

If I were in your situation, I would call the PCO, tell him what you learned on the site, and ask for more information about this process. If another product was used in addition to the growth regulator, it may be just fine. - Best

3. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 10 2011 18:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your answer! He did mention there was something else mixed with the growth regulator. I really hope it works.

4. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 23:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So here is the log of my bugs:
    DAY 1: two bed bugs, adults, on bed
    DAY 2: one bed bug, adult, dislodged from the spring box; at night: one bed bug on pillow, adult, had just fed
    DAY 3: Encased bed and box spring in the afternoon, following PCO's suggestion
    Evening: one bed bug, adult, on bathroom door; one bed bug, adult, on bathroom floor; one dead bed bug in bedroom
    DAY 4: one bed bug, adult, on bedroom floor
    DAY 5: 1st treatment
    DAY 6: morning: an instar nymph that had just fed on my pillow, an adult that had not fed on the baseboard not far from my bed, a third or fourth instar nymph that had not fed on the floor
    DAY 7: 1:30am: third or fourth instar nymph on my pillow
    DAY 11: 6:25pm: adult bed bug on box spring encasement. tiny nymph on mattress encasement.
    DAY 12: 9am: tiny nymph, fed, on mattress encasement.
    DAY 13: 8am: third instar nymph on pillow; 11:10pm: tiny nymph, fed, on box spring encasement
    (I was gone from DAY 19 to DAY 23)
    DAY 24: 9:30am: third instar nymph on pillow; first instar nymph, fed, on box spring encasement; 11:50pm: dead third instar nymph on bedroom floor near bed
    DAY 25: 6:40pm: fifth instar nymph on bedroom floor near bed
    DAY 26: 2nd treatment
    DAY 28: 10am: third instar nymph on floor, by baseboard near head of bed; several first instar nymphs
    DAY 32: 10:30pm: first instar nymph, fed, on pillow; two third instar nymphs, dead, by baseboard wall opposite to bed head (side adjacent to next door apartment); one adult, alive, by baseboard (same side) (edited to add: the little bugger pooped in the ziploc bag, then died, within about 30 minutes)

Before 2nd treatment, PCO was surprised when I told him I had seen more bugs in between treatment. He's coming back tomorrow (one week after 2nd treatment) to check behind the baseboards. I don't know what to think; I see less bugs, but I still think there are many Any thoughts on the pattern of what I'm seeing?

5. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 23:21:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I realize that the bed bug sighting log makes me look like a bit of a freak...

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 23:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a newbie not an expert so no thoughts on the pattern. I'm just surprised that you are able to see one on the baseboard or on the floor. So, only answer if you feel up to it...are you using a flashlight and some sort of magnifying glass?

It's good information. I'm sure someone will have some ideas. Seems to be the normal places from what I've read.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 23:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I inspect pretty closely, using a flashlight they're not so small that you cannot see then with the naked eye (expect for the first instar nymphs, and the ones I've seen I saw on the encasements or pillows, which are white or light-colored). I do get on my knees to inspect the baseboards. I may have a future as a bed bug hunter

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 23:53:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hunter or killer?

It sounds like you have well documented things for your PCO. Bumping so that it stays up high for the experts.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,258 posts in 50,151 topics over 155 months by 21,922 of 22,418 members. Latest: Ldrago, frustrated1970, duracell