questions about my new found 'friends'

(5 posts)
  1. picopalquelea

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 22:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all I definitely have bedbugs, i saw them live, i saw the eggs, the pupa (?) the whole 9 yards. I am not yet very upset or anything because it all is still very new, though I'm sure it's coming.
    I am pretty sure this post will be ignored because it is over-long but this is the best way i know to deal with this

my specific questions, and i would love if someone would help me answer them:

1) it is very OBVIOUS even when I change the sheets of my bed that they are there, as in, there are spots where i in my weekly sheet-changing habit (2 weeks when i get lazy) would notice them. Yet now they are everywhere - the dark spots on the pillow, dark spots on the mattress right under our heads.

MY question is, how quickly does the infestation manifest itself? Is it possible that I only have a 2-week infestation and that it has exploded? Or is it more likely that I've had it for months but that the whole thing reached a critical mass as of a week ago or so?

2) We went to stay with someone for 10 days and I noticed the infestation yesterday when I woke up and found 2 specimens on me . Woe betide the ppl i stayed with - i am going to tell them tomorrow but realistically what are the chances i gave the infestation to them?

3) in general is there any good way of knowing WHEN the infestation first began?

I remember getting weird itches 3 or 4 months ago but at that time i inspected everything and found nothing, certainly nothing obvious the way I found now

4) i obviously work at a place, what am I supposed to do about that? tell everyone? what are the chances that just going there once every 2 weeks (it's mostly at home) transferred the things over there? Tomorrow is the day i am supposed to go over there but i sincerely do not want to now.

5) my GF drives for Uber, is there a chance we got the infestation that way? IE one of the rides had them. Can they travel in a car? IN general how would we know whether there's a bedbug infestation in the car?

6) i once went to a laundromat used by a lot of transients and tourists when i had a giant comforter. This was a few weeks ago, and I used only the washing machine and then let the comforter air-dry (becuase the dryer is a rip-off) - what are the chances i picked it up there?

6) we had a short-term roommate earlier this year, and he's been gone for about a month before i discovered the plague. The bed has been vacant since then save for every now and again i would use that room for something and sit on the bed, etc. I see very negligible signs of activity on the bed, the mattress, etc. I think i saw one bedbug casing, and one very small corner that looked like it had the bedbug black spots i found on our bed, but honestly if you asked me, I would say I saw no evidence of infestation on that bed, that it was NOT the roommate's fault, and that the roomate was spared.

or am i wrong, was the roomate probably infested too and now i should find a way to tell them?

7) ironically i discover this at a time when i was contemplating having ppl over for drinks. Should I just AVOID having anyone come over, ever, until this is resolved?

8 ) should i just expect to get rid of everything we own? I don't fancy having this problem forever and i don't particularly care for any of our stuff lol. Except we do have a lot of books, those are the only things I want to keep. Is it impossible to think of keeping the books? I could literally throw everything else in a bonfire but not those

so saying what's the best way of dealing with books?

9 ) i have musical instruments, do i need to get rid of those or find some way of dealing with them? I didn't exactly sleep with them on the bed but the way these things operate, who knows. Anyone with musicla instruments i would like to know what they think

thanks

2. AintComingHomeWithMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 30 2017 8:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I am by far no expert, but I would really look into getting a Packtite or similar for heat treating all your stuff. People here swear by them -- they work -- and at $330, a Packtite SC is almost certainly less expensive than throwing away all your stuff, especially musical instruments. I can't imagine heat treating is GOOD for musical instruments, but they strike me as v hard to visually inspect and you don't really want poisons on them. Something you may want to research.

Edit: And you may want to avoid having anyone over for awhile, especially if you are prone to guilt like I am.

3. picopalquelea

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 21:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

yes the musical instruments will be hard

i'm concerned about the ppl i stayed with, they don't seem remotely concerned enough. I'd left some clothes there apparently and i forced them via the phone to wash everything in hot water, etc and i encouraged them to buy some monitors, but they DID look in every crevice in the bed we stayed in, and their beds, etc and they say they found NOTHING.

don't really know what else to do about that and God know i have my own problems now

thanks for the response

4. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 23:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You could have caught them anywhere.But being a uber driver is probably where you guys caught them.Sorry your going through this.

5. picopalquelea

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 23:23:00
    #

Login to Send PM

you think so?

i looked on various uber/rideshare forums & nobody really talked about that being a thing

we're tending to believe that they were in this apartment, but hopefully the pro will have more info on us

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,668 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com