Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Questions about carpet beetles, im pregnant and things ive read scare me so...:(

(7 posts)
  1. Terr

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 3:19:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, i know this is a bedbug forum, but this has been literally the only place I can find where people seem to know what they are talking about and reading has calmed me down a little so...I figured I'd try to ask here and see if what I'm doing is actually correct. I hope I'm putting this in the correct section too, please forgive me if it's wrongly placed!

a week or two ago we started seeing these little buggers around my home. We thought they were some kinda ladybug at first since we had a bunch at the end of winter so I shrugged it off. Started spring cleaning last week and started seeing the skins in our closets and attic got me researching to find out that we had varied carpet beetles.

So far from what I found, alot of it makes it sound scary. I even read that people say they burrow into skin even which I'm opting to not believe since its mostly in comments and i hope isn't true at least... I'm currently pregnant and the last thing I want to do is worry about these buggers and blow it out of proportion. The stuff I have been able to find on this forum has been useful (and bless all you who answer everyone's questions, seriously!) but I do have some questions that I still have yet to find answers to so figured I'd ask them. All I can mostly find are about people's itching problems and to clean unless I'm missing something. I can't find anything about them and things like protecting plush toys and clothing care here yet.

As silly as it is....my main concern is my daughters plushie collection. We have amassed her a good 100+ or so collectible plushies over the past 2 Christmas seasons and her birthdays and random impulse buys from us and other family members as it's literally all she ever asks for. From what the tags say, they are made of 100% polyester. Do I need to worry about them? I can not throw them in the washer since they are handwash only and I have not found any bugs on them yet, but I'm just...not sure what to do about them and don't want them ruined since I can't really replace them as once the stores are out of x character they are usually gone. Throwing away nearly 1000$ worth of em on top of having 1 extremely sad little girl is too big of a blow to deal.

Number 2- clothes in my attic and closets that have the sheddings on them, esp the ones i have stored for my next child, along with some old stuffed animals we had up there that we can actually wash, Will washing and sticking them in the dryer be sufficient enough to rid em of anything that is possibly alive along with the dead ones and their sheddings? None of these items appear to have any damage so feels wasteful to trash em esp of I have another girl. Everywhere I find says to throw away infested garments but... I can't throw all of these otherwise perfect condition baby clothing esp with #2 otw. They aren't stained and have no holes as I took extremely good care of them and my daughter was a very neat eater. There are Just sheddings on them as far as I can see. I've emptied the containers and vacuumed them out and sucked up the sheddings I saw, and the clothes are bagged for now with me vacuuming around them until I know if i should give up and trash em or not. It's a lot of clothes so I'm sure it would be expensive to dry clean which seems to be the only answer I can find to treat any garment which seems a bit far fetched. I usually wash large loads on cold and dry on hot for 75 min. If washing with do will this work or should I just use hot water too for now?

Other than that for being rid of them, so far from what ive read from sources that havent freaked me out it seems just cleaning regularly and vaccuming every other day like I did when we had fleas years ago should suffice? Ill admit i have been bad bad bad at vaccuming the past few years since my girl got older and i only did her play areas religously, but ive been on top of it again doing the entire house weekly not going super crazy getting every crevic all the time, a bit before this was noticed so if even more will get em gone im doing it and have been at it getting the corners i can every other day at least since finding out what they were. Ive however we live in a woodsy area and I fear it will make it harder to get rid of em. i want to spray but we have 3 cats and a 5 year old with another on the way and with all these toys around im not sure if spraying will be safe for them. We can spray outside though and usually do twice every year durring spring and late summer/fall Although the onset of warm weather has been rather sudden so we have slacked for that sadly. Im forcing hubby to do it tomorrow though. Along the peremiter of our house gets sprayed and yard gets those pellet things poured all over so hopefully that's enough to keep more away. I'm not sure what to do for the attic though. Since it's hard to get a vacuum up there. It's more of a crawlspace than an actual attic. Would just spraying around the boxes work enough or should I go through things again and dump mothballs in bins and boxes too?

I know these beetles don't bite and i dont think any of us are allergic, but I still would like to avoid having nightmares over em, as silly as it sounds. Im reading that they are very common to the same degree of spiders and ants even, but I've never seen em before in my life so I'm not sure how true it is. Is this something that every home deals with and they just go unoticed due to good housekeeping ? Any advice or words to ease my mind is well appreciated!

2. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 16:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

English is not my mother language. But try google cimexa and carpet beetles. It might work.

3. tami869

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 18:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I could ease your mind, but unfortunately Ive been dealing with carpet beetles for almost a year and cannot get rid of them. I even have an exterminator spray every month. Went as far as ripping up all the carpeting in my home and even tore up the baseboard along all of the floors . Went through the entire home and threw out 20 years of items Ive accumulated over the years. Got rid of 2 mattresses and threw out a living room couch, loveseat and chair. Carpet beetles get into any and everything. They love pet hair hence, we have two dogs. Its been a total nightmare. I clean daily..moving all my furniture and making sure to vacuum everything including the corners and still find them. We must have had them for years. They dont bite and arent after us humans which does help ease my mind a bit. If you would like to send me a pm I dont mind talking more about it to you. Good luck!

4. Terr

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 20:10:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I checked Google and that Cinemax stuff and apparently it doesn't work Thank you though hidingbugs!

And oh no tami...that sounds terrible as heck. It's so nuts that even with a clean house these bugs justhat start messing everything up... honestly I don't know how long we've even had them. We get so many little bugs here yearly even with spraying I don't know if i coulda just overlooked em for years since they were only in our closet and attic. I haven't even found the larvae anywhere but the closets and the attic, just the adults keep popping now that I know what they are... I tend to be able to point things I don't like no matter how tiny they are ( spiders, fleas, ticks...uhg ) I went and checked the beds, chairs and couch, inside the dressers drawers and under the drawers and not a single thing. Pantry is clean... I'll just pm you cause honestly I just wanna know if my clothes aren't damaged can washing kill the things that may possibly be alive and what I can at least do to protect my daughters collection..

Just from what it sounds with them they are something everyone has if you look hard enough? Is this really true though ? cause if that's the case I really rather not panic... cause they've prolly always been there, and most of our stuff is made from synthetic material... if good housekeeping is really enough for something I can't eradicate 100% and keep gone forever ( like spiders and mosquitos ) i dont know if it'd be worth freaking out over and dropping hundreds i dont have for an exterminator to keep coming for.

5. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 3:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like Cimexa label has been revised, and it should work with beetles too.

https://www.domyown.com/has-the-cimexa-dust-label-been-revised-is-it-labeled-to-treat-for-carpet-beetles-qa-44745.html

”Answer:

Yes, CimeXa Insecticide Dust is labeled for Carpet Beetles. You can refer to the product label for full instructions.

"Stored Product (Pantry and Fabric/Clothes) Beetles and Moths: Treat cracks, crevices and along the edges of cupboards, closets, pantries, shelving units and storage. Treat voids beneath drawer units by removing the lower drawers and treating the well. Treat the voids beneath shelving units or cabinets by removing the kickplate or drilling small access holes in the kickplate. Treat under rugs and along the edges of carpets and baseboards and other infested areas to control carpet beetles."

Answer last updated on: 04/11/2018”

6. Terr

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 4:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Oooh! Guess I will be picking some of this stuff up after all. The fact that it's good for 10+years make it sound perfect for my attic especially and wont harm my kitties or kid. Thank you for this info!

7. Pattycake

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat May 12 2018 21:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m sure washing and drying your clothes and putting them in plastic bags or totes will keep the beetles at bay. They can’t bite through a tote. I used Cimexa and it really helped. They are not all gone but I see them less and less all the time. Good luck and try very hard to follow the directions and precautions on the Cimexa label. It’s a great product if used correctly.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,829 posts in 45,888 topics over 139 months by 20,209 of 21,015 members. Latest: Mp732bsd, Jtp, Bedinsect1