Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Questions about birdbugs [chimney swift bugs]

(7 posts)
  1. Sara

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 11:36:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

So I recently found out that the bug I found in my apartment is a birdbug. Cimex nyctalis list is the scientific name. It was a female in starvation mode. Does anyone have any experience with this? Just to clarify, this is not a bird mite. It's common name is the Chimney Swift Bug.

My main concern is whether I need to worry about moving this pest with me when I move next week. What precautions to take? How to treat? Is treatment necessary...or will these suckers just die off if there are no birds around?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sara

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 11:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Moving with chimney swift bugs: this will be one for the experts, and hopefully some will be along soon.

Note, I think the scientific name of the chimney swift bug is Cimexopsis nyctalis.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 13:32:35
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/not-bed-bugs-chimney-swift-bugs

I knew something sounded familiar about what you were describing. Until one of the experts chime in...

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 20:11:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, be patient-- few of us are capable of commenting on this but we've alerted two who are.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2012 12:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/help-with-bug-id-5
    posted an answer to the original post here.

Basically if the ID was from an entomologist who knows cimicids, then I would go with the ID based on specimens rather than by picture viewing. Specimens offer variable magnification and ability to turn the specimen over and see other views as well. Was that from the state entomologist in Hamden?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Sara

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2012 13:09:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to clarify--I'm asking what, if anything, I should do to deal with the Chimney Sweep List bugs that I have in my apartment, especially given my upcoming move.

There is very little information online about this. One PCO I spoke to said I did not have to worry about taking the bug with me when I move. Do others agree with this?

Also, in case it is relevant, the bug was described as being in "starvation mode" which I was told suggests that the host birds may have departed.

7. Sara

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2012 13:22:42
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 1 day ago  » 
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/not-bed-bugs-chimney-swift-bugs
    I knew something sounded familiar about what you were describing. Until one of the experts chime in...

Thanks for this!!

So the "facts" so far:

1. CSB live in voids and walls (not textiles as do BB)
    2. CSB don't increase in number from year to year ...but why? can they not reproduce if feeding on humans?
    3. CSB feed during the warmer months and go dormant in winter
    4. CSB prefer to feed on birds, but will bite humans
    5. Regular BB treatment won't kill CSB

...to be continued...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams