question regarding alcohol, need advice

(27 posts)
  1. jannifer20

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 16:44:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Would rubbing alcohol kill BB and eggs? I have something in one of my shoes and am wondering if I poured alcohol in it and swished it around , if it would kill both.
    Thanks

2. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 17:14:09
    #

Login to Send PM

alcohol will kill bebdbugs on contact - but has no residual effect. however, alcohol WILL NOT kill bedbug eggs - and if you pour alocol on eggs you actual risk spreading them. I did that in my the bathroom in my other apartment before I knew better. Alocohol has no effect on the eggs at all - even pouring it on them directly

3. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 17:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I should clarify - the eggs spreads because I was not careful in how I poured the alcolohol and it spilled and went everywhere - of course I tried to wipe it up but did not do a very thorough job because 2 weeks later the eggs hatched and bedbugs nested in really odd places like inside my towel bar!!!

it was bad.....

4. quentin

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 19:08:41
    #

Login to Send PM

But if you toss your shoes in the dryer for 15 minutes that should kill the eggs and the bugs, right?

5. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 19:51:26
    #

Login to Send PM

heat will kill the eggs for sure - the general rule of thumb is 20 - 45 mintues at least 120 F.

But the trick here is to ensure that the entire item throughout is heated to that temp and kept at that temp for at least 20 minutes

so for shoes and such it may take longer than 20 mintues to heat them sufficiently and keep them at that temp

but you should take a look at the FAQ and see if there are any guidleline - or reach out to BakedBedbugs - he is an expert on thermal killing

6. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 20:41:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Quentin - BakedBedbugs answered your quesiton here

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-do-i-disinfect-my-shoes

7. entai

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 17:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

i had bed bugs. I got rid of them by

1. Clean your house like you are about to go on a tv show
    2. Spray all corners and wall to wall with kerosene oil mixed with ammonia. half and half will do GREAT. p.s. leave a window open cause the smell will get to you

[EDITOR'S NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS. VERY DANGEROUS.]

3. Vacume all the furniture relentlessy.
    4. Iron your couch. bed whatever, if the couch and bed can take the heat. If not use a sheet but be prepared to toss that sheet. If the infestation is bad then sorry. furniture has to go. Wrap it up in plastic wrap and write bedgug in bold letters. if not an asshole WILL take it out and take it to there apartment.
    5. Buy at least 7 bottles of 91% alcohol from a pharmacy and a spray bottle. Litterally soak the couch and bed with it. Another good idea is to buy some DE. Its just dirt but is so lethal. It even kills roaches!
    do this for about a month and you should be bug free for a while. if not...get the pest control guy. if he can't no one can.
    P.S. Seal off all cracks in the wall, floor, wherever you see an opening. Bed Bugs are good at hiding in the smallest of places.
    P.S. If you live in NY then using alcohol and leaving all the windows open to freeze them is a BAD idea...unless you r willing to leave

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 17:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

entai .. You should not make statements like this here ... people are looking to resolve their problems through knowledge and informed decisions. Your post... is the most retarded thing I have read all year. Have a nice holiday

9. entai

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 17:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

oh forgot something. wash everything in hot water. if it can't take hot water use 1/3 cup of industrial strength bleach and cold-lukewarm water. if you can get a heavy duty steam cleaner. one with more dry hotter than the center of hell steam

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 18:13:18
    #

Login to Send PM

DON"T FOLLOW ANY OF THE ABOVE PEOPLE!

Let's see....

Kerosene= flammable and you burn down your house.
    Ammonia= "Ammonia is very alkaline and reacts corrosively with all body tissues."
    91% alcohol, "soaking" as you describe,= flammable to burn down your house with a cleaner flame.
    DE= inhalation hazard
    bleach+ammonia, since you launder in "industrial bleach" and have that ammonia/kerosene mixture= that can release chlorine gas which causes a very painful death.

Glad to see you are a lucky individual and survived your own hazardous self treatment.

Jim

11. entai

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 19:55:54
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 1 hour ago  » 
    DON"T FOLLOW ANY OF THE ABOVE PEOPLE!
    Let's see....
    Kerosene= flammable and you burn down your house.
    Ammonia= "Ammonia is very alkaline and reacts corrosively with all body tissues."
    91% alcohol, "soaking" as you describe,= flammable to burn down your house with a cleaner flame.
    DE= inhalation hazard
    bleach+ammonia, since you launder in "industrial bleach" and have that ammonia/kerosene mixture= that can release chlorine gas which causes a very painful death.
    Glad to see you are a lucky individual and survived your own hazardous self treatment.
    Jim

lol how cute the clueless macho nerd are these days.
    keresone-used in insect sprays
    ammonia-used in some laundry detergents
    alcohol 50-91% not at all harmful if u use it rite. 50 percent might not kill on contact. 91% will

12. bedbugshot

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 20:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 2 hours ago  » 
    entai .. You should not make statements like this here ... people are looking to resolve their problems through knowledge and informed decisions. Your post... is the most retarded thing I have read all year. Have a nice holiday

lol true but why so harsh
    but i have heard of kerosene oil used as a way to kill bed bugs, 91% alcohol i learned can kill bedbugs on contact only not the eggs everyone but ammonia and industrial strengh bleach? are you trying to kill everyone? Entai, cancel your account before you kill someone cause yes that is sum straight up retarded bulls**t

13. vampiremenionprey

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 20:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all entai, why are you on a support forum offering advice that is harmful to your fellow (wo)man.
    You mention these things that (CAN KILL YOU) are used in "some" everyday products, but my question to you is, do you read the dangers before you use the products?

Secondly, what's with the name calling and swearing? This isn't 2nd grade, it's a support forum for people who suffer from bed bugs or deal with them on a daily basis.

Third of all, if you've been ridden of bed bugs as you have metioned are you still seeking emotional help? How long have you been rid of them and are you so sure they are gone?

You have a very angry aura in your posts....or should I be the first to say TROLL?

But not to take away from the topic at hand, 91% rubbing alcohol will not kill the eggs as adele had mentioned. I keep some on hand in a spray bottle for when I see one that I can't reach with tape. I only use the mist setting (this way I won't "nearly" miss and they fall on the carpet) and spray 3-4 times and wait to see if they die.
    As far as your shoes go, if they are nice shoes that you can't bake you have two options
    1. store them for 18+ months
    2. Throw them away
    If you can dry them leave them in there for about an hour on high heat.

Hope it helps!

14. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 21:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

entai - 1 hour ago  » 
    alcohol 50-91% not at all harmful if u use it rite. 50 percent might not kill on contact. 91% will

OK Zippy the pinheaded troll, find me a single fireman that will agree with this statement of yours...

"Buy at least 7 bottles of 91% alcohol from a pharmacy and a spray bottle. Litterally soak the couch and bed with it."

The fireman will probably say you are a complete dumbass.

Soaking furniture in highly flammable liquid is beyond stupid or retarded.

Knock yourself out calling me a "clueless macho nerd". I'm not gonna debate common sense and safety with you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/spideyjg/smilies/ATT423268preview.gif

Hmmm where is that ignore user button?

Jim

15. vampiremenionprey

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2008 21:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

16. bedbugshot

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 24 2008 16:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 19 hours ago  » 

entai - 1 hour ago  » 

OK Zippy the pinheaded troll, find me a single fireman that will agree with this statement of yours...
    "Buy at least 7 bottles of 91% alcohol from a pharmacy and a spray bottle. Litterally soak the couch and bed with it."
    The fireman will probably say you are a complete dumbass.
    Soaking furniture in highly flammable liquid is beyond stupid or retarded.
    Knock yourself out calling me a "clueless macho nerd". I'm not gonna debate common sense and safety with you.
    Jim

thats just mean lololol

17. LJ

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 24 2008 17:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

The best advice I can give regarding alcohol tonight is to get some of the tasty stuff (not the killing isopropyl kind) and add it liberally to either some decadently creamy home-made eggnog, or mulled cider simmering with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice on the stove. Then enjoy!
    LJ

ps: I don't think anyone intends to harm, even if the advice might be unorthodox and potentially harmful

18. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 24 2008 18:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Bahh humbug (excuse the pun) but some of us are tea total.

Please everyone be sensible in what you try and do with regards bed bugs. Its true that torching your house will eradicate bed bugs, it worked for parts of London in the 1950's but it is generally not considered to be the most sensible approach. In fact the only prizes it will win you is the Darwin award.

As with all things posted on the internet you should always consider then wisely and think twice before you rush into anything.

Keep safe and well.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

PS I have an Xmas present or two for you all but it will be a little belated (current ETA 2nd week in Jan).

19. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 24 2008 19:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I WANT IT NOW!! Can I please? Can I? Can I? I can't wait that long. Please Please Please. Sorry, I think I need to talk to adults more. We can't wait to see what it is, David!

20. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Dec 24 2008 21:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome - 3 hours ago  » 

PS I have an Xmas present or two for you all but it will be a little belated (current ETA 2nd week in Jan).

Ooooooooh, do we get official tin foil hats?

Jim

21. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 25 2008 2:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 4 hours ago  » 
    Ooooooooh, do we get official tin foil hats?
    Jim

My supplier has been having great problems stitching into tin foil which has caused significant delay in getting things going with the new company official tin foil hats. They will arrive in 2009 fear not. The delay did however allow me to finish another long term project that we have been working on and thankfully a meeting with the patent lawyers on the 30th Dec means I will be able to talk about it and once the patent is filed I will be able to share a picture of the 99% finished product.

I do hate to tease but something that helps you detect the early signs of bed bugs with an annual cost of only about $15-$20 per bed, my god that is even cheaper than my last designer tin foil hat (dam idea just in a baseball hat made up to look like a bed bug (I so want one)). If you are patient then they should ship by the end of Jan and yes BedBuggers will hear about it first.

But that is just one part of the present, the other is a new way of visualising things which should make it easier for us to share our vision, it is taking time to convert the masses of information we have but we are getting though it and aim to have it available to everyone in Jan.

OK that is officially all I can say and I have said way too much, maybe its the festive season. I think Santa spotted the faecal traces on my bed frame and decided to skip my house and as my girlfriend volunteers at a shelter working nights over Christmas there is a distinct lack of stockings this morning.

David

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 25 2008 19:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugshot - 1 day ago  » 

lol true but why so harsh

but i have heard of kerosene oil used as a way to kill bed bugs, 91% alcohol i learned can kill bedbugs on contact only not the eggs everyone but ammonia and industrial strengh bleach? are you trying to kill everyone?

So harsh, bedbugshot, because people come on to this website and try to get information.

Kerosene is NOT a good idea, is extremely dangerous (as is ammonia and bleach). People have done lots of stupid things to get rid of bed bugs, and have burned their homes down and killed themselves in the process. If entai makes similar suggestions in future, they'll be sent to spam.

91% alcohol is a contact kill but not something to be sprayed everywhere.

It has its own hazards and, because you are not targeting the actual bed bugs, not effective.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  23. vampiremenionprey

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 26 2008 17:49:43
    #

Login to Send PM

why do i get the feeling that the advice left here has something to do with this....

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-bombs-blow-up-apt-building

24. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 26 2008 19:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi vampire,

No technically that accident was as a result of aerosol products building up to a high enough degree to be ignited by the pilot light of a cooker or central heating system. But that said playing with flammable substances in your own home certainly fits within the same category in the Darwin awards in the section marked "those who feel that MORE will always make things work better".

There is not that large a step between things that are flammable and those that are explosive. I do not mean good old Acme sticks of TNT. I have personally seen properties sprayed with copies amounts of a mixture of one part flammable and one part explosive. After being in the room for 15 minutes my head throbbed and I declined the opportunity to work in their lovely establishment. A quick search on-line confirmed that at a high enough vapour pressure the spark from a light switch would have ignited the room and might have taken out the 3 floors above.

We do what we can to help those that we can but this one is too close to playing with fire. I personally would support a censoring filter to remove the posts of such items. I am a rabid anti censor person at heart but health and safety over rides in this case.

David

25. vampiremenionprey

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 26 2008 21:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I know David; I was making an attempt at being funny but failed miserably. It just seemed all too familiar with the Darwin award from the woman who blew up her apartment and the "advice" (which I've noticed has been edited since its original post) given in this thread. Makes you question if it's the same person *whistles*

I have to agree with you on the censorship issues. I'm in full support of anything that is useful and not hazardous, but sometimes the line has to be drawn. Kudos Nobugs for the public mention of spamming related to such ignorance/stupidity.

26. LJ

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 27 2008 3:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Bahh humbug! Mmm... how I adore you for that, David!

sweet!

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 28 2008 3:24:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David and All,

Some similar posts have been removed in past.

In this case, there was such a lengthy educational outpouring that I felt I should leave the original post, with the edited-in warning.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982