Question re bed bug behaviour

(6 posts)
  1. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 7 2012 7:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere; I've not seen it so I'm asking:

1. Is it possible to tell how long since a bed bug has fed based on appearance? The only ones we've found have been paper thin/flat...curious to know what, if anything, that means regarding level of activity.

2. If a bed is isolated and not slept in for a period of two weeks, would any bed bugs on the bed make themselves known by trying to climb off and getting stuck in the interceptors?

Thanx

2. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2012 10:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

bumping back up and hoping for a reply

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2012 11:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry I looked at these the other day and could not come up with an accurate answer other than:

1/ There are too many variables for this to be accurately done.

2/ Not enough research on this subject has been conducted.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2012 11:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. We got to six weeks before finding one three weeks ago, and that has me wondering where else they could be, or how long they can play hide-n-seek.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2012 11:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

1. Partial answer is that plump ones and more red in their gut have recently fed, less plump and darker material in gut is less than recent. Flat, dull, bodies means longer period of time since last feeding. See some examples of recently fed and various times of post-feeding at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/
    I'm not aware of any image postings of fed and timed exposures post feeding.
    2. I don't know of any published reports as David mentions, but if apartment is vacant and there are no cues to attract bed bugs elsewhere, they might just stay on the bed.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2012 14:26:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. The two we found most closely resembled the unfed in lower right corner of photos, with the exception that they were likely fifth instar (according to pco) and had very little noticeable dark spot in abdomen. Same for the two nymphs (2nd instar), thin and flat without prominent dark spots.

Fingers crossed we've seen the last of them, and that our friend from three weeks ago was a straggler, not a scout.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen