Question on the box game :)

(3 posts)
  1. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 21 2012 10:06:26
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone that plays the "box game" (referring to David Cain's suggestion of keeping a plastic storage box by the front door to undress in instead of undressing outside etc.): Do you just visually inspect the box each time or do you decontaminate it each time with something? (Either spraying alcohol or maybe Windex and wiping it down.) I guess my question is how do you decontaminate it, I don't think I would see nympths if they were there.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 21 2012 10:51:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear abs,

So, let me get this straight:

> You're going to enter your home to get undressed if you suspect you have bed bugs on you?

Hmmm . . .

When working at bed bug locations I don't even enter my vehicle wearing suspect clothing. Nothing suspect enters my vehicle unless suitably sealed in a plastic bag and then sealed into a plastic storage container wherein are also placed ddvp pest strips.

When I return home these items are then heat treated in my trash can heat treatment device. (refer to photos posted somewhere) From there the suitable stuff goes directly into the washer hot cycle. Tools & equipment bags are heat treated and enclosed with ddvp pest strips as well.

Additionally, when working I wear white or light colored clothing and have recently adopted the use of "scrubs".

Yes, some folks tell me that my measures are extreme however, in doing what I do, I am at greater risk of bringing bed bugs home than other folks.

If you're concerned about bringing bed bugs home then you can apply the fundamental concepts above to best match your situation. Additionally, there are many ways you can "decontaminate" your stuff including: heat, dryer, hot laundry cycle, pest strips, direct sprays, etc.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 21 2012 11:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Thanks for your reply. In my situation I was mainly concerned about other people. My daughter and granddaughter when they come to visit (we are in the monitoring phase of their home because they have been exposed). And my husband when he goes to what I consider a "high risk" place. Believe me If I could control that he would undress before getting in his car I would! We had been just undressing right in front of the dryer and putting the clothes directly in the dryer. I then thought about asking them to undress out in the garage and Mr. Cain suggested the "box" right inside the door so not so tramatic about undressing outside. I had seen other posts from people doing that and I just wanted to know if they just visually inspected the box or actualy "decontaminated" it someway after each time. Like I said, I don't think I would be able to see the nympths if I just visually inspected. Thanks for your reply.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail