Question on nymphs and adults

(23 posts)
  1. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 9:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's been 17 days and all I've seen are super tiny marks on my skin that could very well Just be normal skin irritation (though they're weird cause they're small and shiny looking marks)

I've read some people see a difference in nymph reactions vs adults

Adult bugs give me huge welts about the size of a half dollar and they bruise

But I don't know if nymphs would be as noticeable

What do you guys think? I've seen no signs and the co2 dog bowl traps havent caught anything.

Also I have onslaught residual surrounding me so they'd have to walk through that to get to me

2. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 10:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I seem to remember 3 years ago is get this red patches that itched for nymphs. The problem with that is just leaning against something gives my stupid sensitive skin red patches.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 12:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Reactions from both nymphs and adults can be the same. Reactions can vary sometimes from person to person. Just leave cloth or washcloths around and bed bugs will climb into these for harborage. Leave at wall/floor interface, near bed and sofa legs. You can even use folded paper towels. I leave folded paper towel pieces in the plastic cases where I keep bed bug vials so if a nymph fell during my work with them, they will crawl onto it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 12:39:47
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Reactions from both nymphs and adults can be the same. Reactions can vary sometimes from person to person. Just leave cloth or washcloths around and bed bugs will climb into these for harborage. Leave at wall/floor interface, near bed and sofa legs. You can even use folded paper towels. I leave folded paper towel pieces in the plastic cases where I keep bed bug vials so if a nymph fell during my work with them, they will crawl onto it.

So they're not going to be hiding in the carpet ?

5. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 12:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem we have is we have the bed spring and mattress right on the floor, no bed legs

6. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 13:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Steverangercarl - 39 minutes ago  » 
    The problem we have is we have the bed spring and mattress right on the floor, no bed legs

Do you have an encasement for it?

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 15:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 1 hour ago  » 

Steverangercarl - 39 minutes ago  » 

Do you have an encasement for it?

I have encasements on the box spring and mattress but the box spring one was made of this awful paper like material and has a few years. I had duct tape it but it keeps riding up. So I bought some new ones that had better reviews.

8. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 18:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Do what lou suggested and leave folded paper towels near the bed.

Bugs could be harbouring in nearby furniture.
    The edge of carpets are possible places.

9. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 18:25:54
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 9 minutes ago  » 

So they'd prefer the towel or cloth over that? Interesting

I got some small face clothes to put near the bed, hopefully if there's anything they go there.

Those dog bowl co2 things seem useless. I had them on the bed redone over and over for two weeks and all they caught was a fly.

10. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 18:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, how long does it take for residuals like onslaught to kill when they walk through it? They have to walk through it to get to me

11. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 18:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Steverangercarl - 17 minutes ago  » 

I got some small face clothes to put near the bed, hopefully if there's anything they go there.
    Those dog bowl co2 things seem useless. I had them on the bed redone over and over for two weeks and all they caught was a fly.

I don't know enough about them.
    I think they would like the closest harbourage to the food in most cases.
    If a female has been mated, she might go somewhere else to avoid being mated again.

They prefer real people over co2 traps so the room needs to be empty for those to work.

12. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 20:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

If a female has been mated, she might go somewhere else to avoid being mated again.
    They prefer real people over co2 traps so the room needs to be empty for those to work.

There had been only one adult female we caught early morning the 20th. I was bitten on the 18th There seem to be no other adults or I'd still be getting bruise welts.

I had her in a bag covered by a paper towel to see if she was laying eggs but she didn't for an entire week.

It's been 18ish days and I'm getting shiny fluid filled bumps on my hands or red tiny blotches. But if eggs hatch in 6-14 days I should have gotten them sooner.

The apartment is always 75-77 degrees.

The first bites were originally in mid November and it didn't multiply. So I don't know why we would have only one female bug for 2 months and not have a ton, but there wasn't.

13. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 20:13:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Steverangercarl - 43 seconds ago  » 

There had been only one adult female we caught early morning the 20th. I was bitten on the 18th There seem to be no other adults or I'd still be getting bruise welts.
    I had her in a bag covered by a paper towel to see if she was laying eggs but she didn't for an entire week.
    It's been 18ish days and I'm getting shiny fluid filled bumps on my hands or red tiny blotches. But if eggs hatch in 6-14 days I should have gotten them sooner.
    The apartment is always 75-77 degrees.
    The first bites were originally in mid November and it didn't multiply. So I don't know why we would have only one female bug for 2 months and not have a ton, but there wasn't.

Oh and when we vacuumed we only found one casing nothing else

The female was in a shirt that was wedged behind the bed and nothing else was with her.

Just weird.

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 23:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 4 hours ago  » 

Females don't really go elsewhere to avoid being mated again.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 23:16:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Steverangercarl - 10 hours ago  » 

Not so much on carpet but along edges near tack strip. All that on floor gives them easy access to bed.

16. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 23:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 14 minutes ago  » 

Not so much on carpet but along edges near tack strip. All that on floor gives them easy access to bed.

What is the tack strip?

I got two wash clothes folded but what's to keep them from hiding under the cloth instead of in it?

This is assuming there's actually bugs left

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 2:52:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Steverangercarl - 3 hours ago  » 

What is the tack strip?
    I got two wash clothes folded but what's to keep them from hiding under the cloth instead of in it?

Didn't know if its a wall-to-wall carpet or just throw rug. Tack strip around circumference of a w-t-w has small tacks points that anchor the carpet in place.
    You lift up the cloth and examine it and you look under it at that time, too. It's a place to go rather than trying to find a place, you give them one.

18. F. Pazos

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 3:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

What is the tack strip?

It would work better if the clothes were unwashed...

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  19. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 8:19:02
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 

What is the tack strip?

Didn't know if its a wall-to-wall carpet or just throw rug. Tack strip around circumference of a w-t-w has small tacks points that anchor the carpet in place.
    You lift up the cloth and examine it and you look under it at that time, too. It's a place to go rather than trying to find a place, you give them one.

The only concern I have with under the cloth is the carpet making it hard to see any baby bugs

20. freakingout123

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 8:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Has the dirty clothes thing been tested? Meaning has anyone actually tried this and found some? If yes, how long would it take for them to harbor there?

21. Steverangercarl

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 8:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

How long do I have to wait til I can check the clothes?

22. F. Pazos

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 22:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

freakingout123 - 14 hours ago  » 
    Has the dirty clothes thing been tested? Meaning has anyone actually tried this and found some? If yes, how long would it take for them to harbor there?

this is something I see often and I had as a theory... if dirty laundry baskets were in the room I usually find higher activity in the basket than in the wardrobe, so much that it is included in the inspection sheet that our technicians use... but that was just my theory untill this: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/bed-bugs-study-infestation-prevent-clothes-furniture-1.733577

23. freakingout123

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 23:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos - 8 minutes ago  » 

freakingout123 - 14 hours ago  » 

this is something I see often and I had as a theory... if dirty laundry baskets were in the room I usually find higher activity in the basket than in the wardrobe, so much that it is included in the inspection sheet that our technicians use... but that was just my theory untill this: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/bed-bugs-study-infestation-prevent-clothes-furniture-1.733577

Interesting! Thanks F. Pazos

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,868 posts in 45,898 topics over 140 months by 20,212 of 21,020 members. Latest: Lima Rosa, afraidofbugs18, Bbt25