Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Question for the pros: how do hotels eradicate bedbugs?

(7 posts)
  1. peppy

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 0:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

After reading this site for months, I have been wondering how hotels successfully eradicate bedbugs. It seems like the typical chemical treatment involves putting down chemicals and then humans using themselves as bait in bed, where the bedbugs will cross the chemicals to get to the humans, eventually dying.

But how would this work at a hotel? When a hotel finds bedbugs in a room, they take that room out of rotation, right? If chemicals are laid down, how are the bedbugs lured to cross the chemicals?

The other typical ways to treat are heat treatment and Vikane, but it seems that those would be even more difficult in a hotel situation. Can anyone weigh in on this?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 0:30:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hotel rooms are easy to eradicate. Most hotels toss the bed and head boards because they can replace them for less then retail. They buy in bulk and have no problem doing it. You also don't have to deal with anyones stuff ... Its just the structure and furniture.

It's a simple treatment really.

3. peppy

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 0:31:58
    #

Login to Send PM

So is the idea that they get rid of the bed and headboard, and then you just inspect the area like the baseboards, nightstands, dresser, etc., to ensure there isn't anything left there?

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 0:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

nah .. you do a treatment in the room but its just easier then a residential space.

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 1:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I perfectly agree with KQ, same work but easier

6. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 7:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

My sister-in-law runs a hotel. She says they use heat to treat rooms. She's in rural Minnesota and has only had two problems so far.

7. BBJames

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 0:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Straight Heat- Less down time/Deactivation of sprinkler heads/ Removal of most electronics/ higher cost which balances out when you consider 2-3 weeks of gained revenue/ no residuals /must reach and maintain temp in all crevices. Experience will show results

Chemicals- 2-4 weeks downtime/ throw away bedding if not encased/ lower cost to start but will continue to increase due to possible ineffectiveness &/or infestation levels/ not really effective on eggs/ and the most important factor, it all comes down to how good is the tech do the work.

Vikane Gas- Not to sure how they would pull this off for one room.

I'm sure I left out some facts, but here's a few...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111