Question for the dog handlers

(6 posts)
  1. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 10 2008 15:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I have a prospective client who raised an interesting question. They had a dog come and do an inspection. The dog didn't alert. The handler/pco felt they had clover mites nd treated accoringly. After treatment, clients bite symptoms worsened. They are questioning the dog's results.
    Here is the question: could a species of bed bugs from the caribbean cause a different response i the dogs? i.e could they give a different scent or pheremone than resident species of bed bug?

2. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 10 2008 20:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have experience handling dogs but don't consider myself a dog handler. First off, depending on where you are, the tropical bed bug is pretty rare. In fact, I don't know of any reported cases here in the Northeast. I know they do occasionally pop up in Florida, but still are not nearly as prevalent as the common bed bug.

Also, the differences in the tropical and common bed bug are basically orientation of hairs and pits on the exoskeleton, etc... (what they are specifically I don't know but they are very insignificant). So, I don't think the common and tropical bed bug are going to have much different of a scent picture.

That being said, this is all hypothesis and I don't have a lot of information backing what I'm saying.

Maybe there just aren't any bed bugs in their home. Maybe they've developed a reaction to a detergent of something else.

3. SPDIBBK9Handler

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 10 2008 21:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I obviously can't speak for all dog and handler teams, but ours have alerted on both Cimex Lectularius and Hemiterus. (And one case we think are actually Leptocimex Boueti, a completely different genus) I think there may be something of an under-reporting of the number of cases of the tropical varieties, as I've encountered 3 cases in the last year of the tropical variety here in North Carolina. It's probable most PCO techs don't bother to ID down to species level (if they even have an ID key that gets to species level), and just assume a bedbug is a bedbug. I do raise an eyebrow at the clover mite theory, since clover mites while small are visible (especially when you smear them on a white wall or window sill...) and don't bite. There are various other mites that could be the problem, or as bugologist pointed out, various allergies, etc.

4. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 10 2008 22:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Believe me, I have discussed these possibilities with the client. The pathology does seem to indicate bites of some type.

Thanks for the tips folks.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 10 2008 23:45:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Dogs can be very effective, but my understanding is they are not 100% effective. Could have missed something.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 10:40:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update the handler came back with two dogs and did much more thorough inspection. The client is now reassured that they do not have bed bugs. They were very pleased with the second inspection.
    Thanks for the input all.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,734 posts in 50,026 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah