Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Question for Survivors of Bed bugs--Did you move out?

(8 posts)
  1. SeekingHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 21:42:26
    #

Login to Send PM

For the survivors of bed bugs infestation, did you move out and stay free of bedbugs after that?

My first bedbug experience was about Summer 2010 and we were free of bedbugs for three years until they came again in 2013. And almost a year later we are here again with bedbugs that only bite me, but not my mom who lives with me. I had to get rid of my old mattress that I had for years, then with the new one in 2010, I had mattress protectors but they still somehow manage to get there in June of 2013. After the treatment, I had to get a third mattress with a better mattress encasement and move it to another room that do not get infested. And months later now current...they've followed me. I've been treated for bedbugs, but last year we went crazy bagging all things and living out of bags for weeks and still now we are back to square one. Every day I pray this problem will be gone and want it to be gone.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2014 23:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people stay in their buildings and don't get bed bugs again.
    Some stay in their buildings and remain bed bug free.
    Some move and remain bed bug free.
    Some move and get bed bugs again.

I'm not clear on whether you moved after your Summer 2010 issues or whether the landlord treated them successfully and you stayed. If they treated and you stayed, then it's a good sign they'll probably do a good job again.

Bed bugs can hit any building at any time and so I'd feel more confident with a landlord who had successfully eliminated the problem than with an unknown, new landlord.

If you moved and are asking about whether you should move again, then consider that tenants can bring bed bugs into any building. Moving isn't always the solution, because you never know when bed bugs will be introduced and how the new landlord will respond.

Note: I'm moving this to reader questions (the "success stories" forum is reserved for stories about people solving their bed bug problem).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2014 6:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspect that your repeat business may have something to do with misinformation - try spending a good long time reading this site's FAQs. Go slow, take notes, compare it with the info you have & the steps that have been taken in your home.

Any flags raising?

4. Freeobugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2014 14:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutely not! This is MY home, my family's home. There is no way a brainless parasite would run me out of my home. Well, with the housing market, it wouldn't sell for what it's worth anyway. LOL. But in all seriousness, no way. It's just a bug. A nightmare, yes. Stressful, yes. But a bug. A harmless nuisance. You can die from a mosquito bite, but I assume you still go outside? It's so hard to put in perspective while going through this, but hindsight is 20/20. Don't let them run you out of your home.

Just a survivor, definitely no expert.
    Autism Warrior
  5. SeekingHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2014 17:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

We never had bedbugs before living in this apartment we now live in since 2009. In 2010, we lived there for almost a year and had our first experience of bedbugs.

Then, we were treated for bedbugs and we thought we were done with bedbugs, but last Summer 2013, we had a resurgence of bedbugs and it happened in the same room, but not the other bedroom. It is a two bedroom apartment. This time we truly followed the rules of bagging, washing/drying of clothes.We even got rid of number of wardrobe drawers, bed frame, and gave away a lot of things we didn't use during the process. It was a horrible summer experience. We lived out of bags and did a lot of laundry. I did all the research on bedbugs.

And now not even a year later, just a couple months later, we have it again for this is the THIRD TIME. But after the second time, I had already gotten rid of my 2nd bed, bought a new bed and never took the mattress out of the plastic it came in, put it in the proper bedbug protectant encasement. I had the mattress pad on top of it too.

It's just last month exactly --I had found that the computer desk I had bought just 2 weeks around my 2nd bedbug attack had these coffee colored bugs on it occasionally and I killed them each time. I had not thought about anything until I one morning I was using a lint brush on a pair of pants that I discovered I was bitten in three places on my leg. I had put the pants on the computer desk for a brief time then on my bare legs and I was just going about my business and notice I had caught a bedbug on the lint brush (the tape kind) and killed it and it had bled. I lifted the pants up and saw that I had been bitten in three areas. In such a short time!!!

And since my 2nd attack last summer, I had my new mattress in the other room shared with my mom, so I no longer have a bedroom to sleep in by myself. So we use it as a computer room. But after I had gotten bitten last month, I threw out the new computer desk that I had not had for more than a year. We are at our wits end when we find out we have it again in the same apartment that we had the first, 2nd and now third time. The least office said they are now just hiring a new pest control company and so they said this time will be the last time we would experience bedbugs again.

We've already lost so much and used so much to be rid of the bedbugs. But it feels like badluck living here. We don't like having to experience bedbugs repeatedly like this. We were thinking of moving out after being treated this time and having no more signs of bedbugs. I read in a case where the person who had repeated bedbug cases had gotten treated and moved out of the place they lived after it was over and was successfully been free of bedbugs after that for years.

So my question...is to whoever answers my post...do you have bbugs or have you had them and successfully gotten rid of them? Is there hope in getting rid of this for once and for all? I don't want to live in a place that just repeatedly get them. The lease office claims that this new company has been used at other places and is a better one than the previously used Pest control company. What can any one say to help me find hope in this matter? Please!

6. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2014 19:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

do you have bbugs or have you had them and successfully gotten rid of them?

I had them, got rid of them.

It wasn't my moving that got rid of them, it was a good PCO and a LOT of advice/info from this here forum from pros and others

Mistakes I made:
    Moved (more than one time)
    Trusted K9 without visual confirmation (hey this was a while back, didn't know better)
    Threw out a lot of things, for nothing, some of those things I can't ever replace

Biggest mistake I made:

Because of PTSD and skin reactions after the bugs were gone dismissed the advice of PCOs that kept telling me the bugs are gone (and other people too) I ended up with a mild case of Delusional Parasitosis, still fighting that last part from time to time

Is there hope in getting rid of this for once and for all?

everyone gets rid of this if things are done properly

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 6 2014 12:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

SeekingHope,
    If you had bed bugs in 2010 and got them again in 2013, then it sounds like you either brought them in somehow the second time, or an attached neighbor had them and they came in that way.

Regardless of how good the PCO is, it's essential that the management of the complex allows them to thoroughly inspect all attached units (above, below, all sides) every unit known to have bed bugs. Talk to them about this.

That will cover whether they're coming from a neighbor.

You should also consider whether it's possible you are getting them from somewhere you visit or from a visitor. Some people get exposed at work. It's essential to think of all the possibilities.

Bed bugs can be 100% eliminated but they can also be reintroduced. No one else's experience is going to enlighten you as to whether they're coming from attached neighbors or being brought in by someone to your home. That investigation has to happen at your end, but trust me, it's worth the trouble.

8. hopelessnfreakigout

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2014 11:58:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Endless nightmare, it says you have a spinal cord injury. I don't know how limited you are but I imagine that would make it a lot more stressful. I have my own ability issues and am part of the injury disability community too.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993