Question for pros about K9 inspection behavior

(13 posts)
  1. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a K9 inspection today. Handler brought two dogs, ran separately and handler did visual inspection/confirmation. After both dogs had done a pass through the apt without a hit, the first dog had another pass in the living room and alerted to a corner of the sofa. The handler did a careful inspection and didn't find anything. The sofa had been inspected quite a bit (flipped over and such) in view of both dogs, so the handler suspected that the dog may have thought it was supposed to find something in the sofa and possibly alerted to please the handler (i.e. false positive).

What struck me was that the dogs didn't seem particularly interested or motivated to inspect. They would take a few sniffs in one spot, look at the handler and the handler would consistently have to direct them to "search here". Is this normal? I would think the dogs would know what they're supposed to do and be more eager in doing it? The handler has been certified by various orgs for 10 years (WDDO, NESDCA, NACPI), so I'm not sure what to make of it.

2. Eli4s

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pro but I had a K 9 inspection two months ago. The dog seemed eager but the handler would still need to direct the dog to inspect each room and area.

3. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:45:55
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case the handler almost had to point to a spot every foot to get the dog to continue sniffing -- the dogs showed almost no self interest in searching. I thought it was pretty strange.

4. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Random question but do you live in North Carolina this sux?

5. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

moenine9 - 39 seconds ago  » 
    Random question but do you live in North Carolina this sux?

Midwest

6. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:56:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah okay lol- I had an inspector come with two dogs as well. Wanted to see if it was the same one. But yeah my handler did he same thing- she would walk the dogs through and had to guide them at times too.

7. Brij719

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 19:17:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve had two k9 inspections done a couple years apart. The handler did lead the dogs through and kept reminding the dog to “find it”. Pretty sure it’s normal. My handler had two dogs, brought one in and then the 2nd one. Never alerted to anything. I would feel confident if they searched the alerted area and didn’t find anything.

8. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 21:03:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Brij719 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I’ve had two k9 inspections done a couple years apart. The handler did lead the dogs through and kept reminding the dog to “find it”. Pretty sure it’s normal. My handler had two dogs, brought one in and then the 2nd one. Never alerted to anything. I would feel confident if they searched the alerted area and didn’t find anything.

That sounds more like what I would expect. What I mean in my case is the dogs would mostly only sniff at the exact spot the handler pointed to (like a few inches of area), then it would have to be instructed again - they showed no "hunting" interest. While the second dog was inspecting my bed, it just stopped and plopped down on the mattress like it had no interest and just wanted to chill.

9. Brij719

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 21:39:28
    #

Login to Send PM

thissux - 33 minutes ago  » 

Brij719 - 1 hour ago  » 

That sounds more like what I would expect. What I mean in my case is the dogs would mostly only sniff at the exact spot the handler pointed to (like a few inches of area), then it would have to be instructed again - they showed no "hunting" interest. While the second dog was inspecting my bed, it just stopped and plopped down on the mattress like it had no interest and just wanted to chill.

Oh I see. Well I mean I am not sure that we would expect a full on “hunting”. My house is small so for the dog to clear the room it was very quick. I think that dogs are usually used to quickly check large areas. Showing no interest is a good thing though. Do you not trust the negative? I had trouble trusting mine but then after a week or so I got more comfortable with it. I have passive monitors in place for a piece of mind as well.

10. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 22:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you not trust the negative? I had trouble trusting mine but then after a week or so I got more comfortable with it. I have passive monitors in place for a piece of mind as well.

I so want to and I am more relaxed in my apt after the inspection, but it's just hard for me to completely rule out bedbugs given the combination of circumstantial and symptomatic evidence in my case, not to mention the many cases in which people took months to confirm after multiple false negative inspections. I'm at a point where I don't know what else I can do to figure out what's going on and the anxiety is really taking its toll on my mental and physical health. Meanwhile the number of bites seem to be increasing.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 1:11:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The K9 teams I have worked with multiple times are all characterised by dogs that were so “keen” to search they needed holding back more than directing. There is an enthusiasm to find which characterises the synergy between handler and dog.

In this scenario the handler was ethical enough to search and confirm it was likely a false positive an improvement over 2010 when we would have gotten “the dog nose best”. Ideally they would have QC’d the work with Passive Monitors but ultimately that negates the need for the K9 inspection anyway.

Ultimately while dogs can be a valid tool it is no longer easy to differentiate between the ethical service providers and those best avoided. While standards and certification should address those issues they sadly and clearly don’t.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  12. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 16:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your insight, David. It's a shame there isn't better QC/reliability for such a costly service.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 17:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That would only change with consumers asking for it and then the reality is the trade off between speed of result and accuracy. At the end of the day when we modelled the impact of speed and accuracy the critical factor to controlling infestation is accuracy of detection not speed of detection.

Where the certification bodies had every opportunity to do this correctly they failed and in doing so start the erosion of consumer confidence.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82