Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Question for people who use steamers regularly on bed bugs

(6 posts)
  1. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 13:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm asking for a friend :). For reals, though.

Are there any tricks to the order in which you steam things so the bugs don't run away while you steam? Also, how do you steam the mattress without setting it potentially on a side that may have bugs on it?

+ I'd love to hear any other tips you might have learned over time, I didn't find really specific advise on the steamer page.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 13:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends on the make and model of course. I use the Polti Cimex Eradicator. I tend to trail slightly with the steam, angling back just a little. I can do the piping on the top section of the mattress with it in place as well as the tags. Then lift it up on its side and continue with the piping. Steamed critters can fall off, so I like to treat the floor as well for safe measure. Depending on the material you can increase to flow rate when steaming the floor to compensate for any heat loss if you are working on a structure with a concrete slab.
    This is my current technique.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 14:09:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BD,

Please slow down on concrete as the correct response rather than operating at a higher flow rate. You shlould also find you can operate at a speed greater than a bed bugs can respond to the approaching "death ray". I am recommend listening to Daft Punk - Steam Machine as the tempo is about the right pace to work at.

Hi barelyliving,

While the CE may appear to most people to be a "steamer" only the body of the unit is a "steam generator" the device in the handle takes that 100 C / 212 F out put and converts it to 185 C / 365 F. As steam is water at 100 C / 212 F the CE is technically not a steamer, it is more akin to a handheld autoclave performing a localized sterilization which immediately kills pretty much all forms of life.

I am a huge advocate of this approach because it enables you to move quickly and efficiently through an area either providing a localized treatment or a more complete all surfaces approach. Either way the higher temperature drives the penetration process faster so you don't need to go "width of tool by width of tool" through the treatment area to ensure penetration.

As such and as a result of the early work we did on steamers in 2005 / 2006 even with steam suction units (2009) we did not start using any form of steam till 2012 when the CE was developed. While I agree that they are an almost universally recommended (I know Stephen Doggett has also expressed reservation with most models) our stance between 2005 and 2012 remained that vacuum cleaners were dramatically more effective because they also removed the live samples but without the down side that can come with devices where the pressure is too high.

Therefore to solve you mattress question I would say vacuum one side, flip it and do the other side. Then to be ultra cautious slide it 2 foot towards the foot end, stand it up and re vacuum the underside again (which was originally the top).

Hope that explains and provides a simpler option.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 14:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 16:42:11
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving,
    Sorry you didn't find helpful tips on the FAQ on killing bed bugs with steam. We tried to include relevant tips from pros and users, but I am happy to add more if you or others suggest them. Let me know!

Also, although she used a high end steamer (Lady Bug) which may not be the best choice available in 2016, Collette's post from 2008 on treating bed bugs with a steamer may be of interest.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 23:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, didn't mean that the way it sounded. There was lots of good stuff in the FAQ's, I was just looking for technique ideas since other questions had been answered.

Parts of these answers could possibly be added.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14