Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Question for PCOs about bugs coming off clothes into cars

(12 posts)
  1. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 12:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My question for PCOs is what do you do about your shoes and car after work? I've heard it mentioned that PCOs say that when they go home for the day, they strip in the garage and throw their clothes into the dryer for 30 minutes on high, but they never mention shoes or the car. Do you worry about bugs coming off your shoes/clothes into your car? Or do you feel they stay primarily in your clothes and are not a real hazard for your car?

My friends, who have has one treatment for bedbugs but are still seeing live bugs, wants me to visit them. I know that if I visit and completely change into clean, bagged clothes before leaving and then change my shoes outside of their home, the potential for me to bring the bugs home is minimal since they don't live on people. However, I am still nervous and really don't want to visit. My friends want to go out to eat and want me to drive them in my car. I know car infestations are rare, but frankly, I don't my friends in my car at all... rude as that sounds.

Thanks

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 13:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a PCO, but think of this..what if you drive your friends to dinner..and independent of that event, you unknowing pick up a BB somewhere else..would it hurt your friendship? There have been postings on this site where people are sure that they got them from a friend and it hurt their friendship. From what little I've learned, they are harder to pick up then we think but it's also very hard in many cases to know where they came from.

Personally, I wouldn't want my friends driving me if I thought I had them. But, it's kind of like all other things, I haven't been through it, so I don't know how hard it is.

I'd be open to meet my friends in a restaurant near their house. My guess is there isn't one they want to go to (or a lot of residential neighborhoods don't have restaurants)

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 13:38:50
    #

Login to Send PM

No, it would not hurt the friendship because first, like you said, bugs can come from any place and second, I know my friends would not intentionally infest me. I'd be very upset and angry about the situation, but not at the people.

But, knowing they have an infestation and knowing that they are still seeing plenty of live bugs after the first PCO visit, I don't want to take chances. BTW, they have scheduled a second visit, but I don't think they are taking this too seriously because they don't take the time to decontaminate their clothing or shoes before they go out anyplace, including work. That bothers me. The PCO bothers me too because he never told them to clear their clutter and they have a heck of a lot of it, like cardboard boxes stacked ceiling high and magazines from the 70's. But I'm not a PCO so maybe there is some logic in their method that I do not understand.

The other reason I asked is my friends want me to visit and hang out out their house and I don't want to take bugs into the car or my house.

I like the idea of driving someplace separately. Thanks

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 14:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like a bad situation. They may not have much money. My friends and I visit mostly in coffee shops. It's a bit cheaper at $5 than a full dinner, but folks who want food can get it.

5. paranoid BB freak

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 15:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a newbie myself. But my feeling is, if they are truly your friends, they would not put you in a situation that makes you uncomfortable. If you do not want to visit them in their home with an active infestation ( who would!) or have them in your car, they should understand if they are your friends. The fact that they are not taking precautions to prevent spreading their problem should be all the answer you need, IMO.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 5 2012 18:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Precautions can be taken if you're the person with bed bugs and you're going somewhere without them. (We have a FAQ on that in our travel FAQs.)

However, I would not spend time hanging out in a home with bed bugs and I would avoid driving someone who had an active problem unless I knew they were taking the kinds of precautions mentioned already.

Meeting them in a neutral place and driving separately are your best bet. If they are offended by that then they probably don't know enough yet how bed bugs spread. That libraries and offices get infested is proof that people can spread bed bugs through just their clothing and bags.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2012 18:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Despite my best efforts, they aren't learning anything new about bed bugs. I talked to my friends tonight and my female friend said she woke up with a bed bug in her ear last night, then she asked if she could come over to my house! They just don't get it! I feel bad, too, because we've been friends for 20 plus years, but there is no d*mn way they're coming in my house.

8. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2012 20:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

rjp - I understand what your going thru. I was so upset after my second treatment I wouldn't allow my friends over either for a six weeks. I was terrified that either they would get them or perhaps they may have brought them in. I lived like a hermit barely leaving my house. I have no regrets now as I'm 64 days bed bug free.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 15:41:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know how a friend could ask that of you...It hasn't come up, but I don't think I'd isolate myself from my friends completely, and I sometimes go through times of just phone calls and emails when everyone gets busy. I do think I'd take the precautions in the FAQs (for sure!!!!) and meet at a public place and let them know about the precautions.

I do think I'd be less social, like Kini says. You have to think of the long term.

10. goingcrazybb

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 19:45:23
    #

Login to Send PM

rjp - I have said "you just don't get it " a hundred times to my in-laws and my husband. After over 8 weeks of dealing with this we were vaccuming the van (again) and I said to my husband "Does that look like a bunch of eggs?" He said "I have no idea what they look like" Really - 8 weeks of waching your wife walking around at midnight with a flashlight and you have no idea what they look like!

My mother-in-law took a trip this weekend and wantedto borrow our suticases. Granted they have been heat treated and then bagged up, but I would not want to use luggage that had been in a house with bed bugs. I sent her tips on how to travel without bringing bed bugs back with you. She never replied to the emails...

11. rjp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 6:58:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm beginning to think my friends don't WANT to get it. I'm trying not to judge, but there is a lot more they could be doing on their own, and they both seem unwilling to really get educated. One of them says she brushes herself off before leaving the house. As everyone knows here, that doesn't guarantee they are not carrying bugs out. And I love my friends, but this type of behavior is how - partially, at least - that they are spreading. Yes, I think I will have to continue to be less social with them, at least for now. Although frankly, with their apparent lack of concern about the whole thing, I don't think they will ever be bug free.

goingcrazybb, I totally agree with not wanting to send suitcases for use in a situation like that. Noooooo way! My friends (same ones) wanted to borrow my steamer and I was not willing to do that. I just don't necessarily want to take one chance out of one million.

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 22:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bumping for expert

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,668 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com