(4 posts)
  1. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 19:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Folks-

I live in an almost 100 yr. old bldg. and there are some areas in my apt. (at base of most radiators, in some places where wall molding meets the floor and/or ceilings) where there are gaps and even what could be considered small holes.

I don't think caulk is going to be the solution for these spaces.

Are there any suggestions on how to plug/close up these areas after I carefully dust them interior w/D.E.?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 19:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Caulking and sealing is never the solution. You either miss areas or it dries and cracks.

It's one of those things that seems logical but can actually be counter productive.

You are better off using DE in targeted areas and around beds and sofas. The reality is that bedbugs want to be close to those areas we occupy not far away from food.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 12 2013 22:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

As DC mentions above there are some concerns with certain caulking materials.

And, as related to bed bugs alone, depending upon the area being caulked, such efforts may not be necessary to attain control.

However, in the multi-family setting, there are also concerns beyond bed bugs including cockroaches, rodents and other pests. When such pests are of concern "pest proofing" efforts are warranted. Suitable pest proofing materials are available which are durable and intended for long term use for such purposes.

Hope this helps ! pjb

4. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 13 2013 13:32:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David and PJB-

Thanks for your replies.

I already purchased the food-grade D.E., appropriate recommended mask and eye-wear is on the way.

My PCO told me that if it "made me feel better" to put D.E. behind electric plates in the walls, then it was okay to do so.

I am glad to know that caulking and sealing is not a good prevention method. The idea of attempting this is an old, large apartment is daunting.

Thanks for your help!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69