Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Question for Bugalina and all other Murphy advocates

(26 posts)
  1. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 20:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to know how thick I should (or if I should) squirt spray murphy's into the furrow of the crown molding. (I think it is where oli came from and one bed bug is quite enough. Do you guys think it would work in the furrow there, which is a groove as deep and as wide as 2/3 inches. How long do you think it might do me any good? or is it a dumb idea?

2. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 20:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

What do you mean how thick? I think I would spray until murphy's oil soap came out of the hole, then you would know you saturated the whole hole (huh?). Maybe you should spray de in there instead?

3. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 20:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

that's a good point--I already have de in there... but we still have "oli" friend ... Oh BTW so typical--they cancelled the inspeciton until next week like at the last moment: I'm off to the store now, took pics of Oli and will try to get a CD and bleach!
    S oI mean what dilution of water would last longest but sitll be effective, I want it to last ....

4. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 20:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with jamin..De would last longer..its a mechanical killer....I would puff it into all the crevices....Murphy's Oil is good for furniture that can be sprayed on the floor...while being inspected.....its a contact killer...I wouldn't suggest it for Crown moldings on the ceiling...not that it would hurt..if you want to use it, spray soak the crown moldings....really soak them....then the next day...puff DE onto all the moldings......this is what I would do....dilute it 3 to 1

5. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 20:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Good idea, murphy's oil to kill on contact and then the de to kill all the eggs and nymphs, well, not the eggs, but when they hatch i mean.

6. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 0:46:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I just don't want too many other Oli's showing up ... In fact one is more than enough. I think I'll stick to the DE already in there and add to it. I can always use the Murphy's on the wood tables ... I like it and it is cheap--But just what is it, in there that makes it a contact kill?
    My bottle showes no ingredients???

7. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 19:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine doesn't show any ingredients as well. WTW: maybe you should search for "murphy's oil soap" and see if they have a website and maybe you can get info. from there.

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 21:24:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Murphy's oil soap contains a citrus product called d-limonene. Also found in some flea shampoos for pets. There was another post on the site that listed all of the ingredients.

Doug Summers MS

9. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 22:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Does Murphy's Oil Soap used on wood furniture kill bed bugs and their eggs on there and is it a residual killer ?

Bill?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 22:23:04
    #

Login to Send PM

It is a contact killer, not a residual. Bill, read the FAQS!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2007 18:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO was here yesterday and sprayed around the place.. There is a dresser and a desk in my room and, next to the bed, a night stand with a drawer in it. When I got back home,about an hour after the PCO was here, I looked in the drawers of the dresser, the desk and the night stand. The drawer in the night stand was wet inside, and still is, indicating that they had sprayed in it. I thought they were going to spray in the empty dresser and desk drawers also. But when I looked into those drawers they wre all dry. I asked my neighbor across the hall if his dresser drawers were wet or dry and he looked at them and showed me that they were also all dry, as well as the drawers of some other furniture in his apt. So I don't think they sprayed them, even though, when I called their office and asked them about it, they said that they did spray the desser and desk drawers. Well, so what do we do? I could get some Murphy's Oil Soap or some DE to use on the drawers and for my neighbor to use, but would that work if the PCO techs DID spray the drawers as he said? I don't believe they did. And I don't want to put my clean clothes back into the drawers without first treating the drawers somehow if the PCO techs didn't spray them .

Thanks

Mr Bill

12. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 20:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs:

I couldn't find anything in the FAQs about Murphy's Oil Soap. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I just want to know: Does it kill eggs as well as adult bed bugs?

Thanks

Mr Bill

13. BBsBlow

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 21:08:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't kill eggs; just the bugs on contact.

14. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2007 23:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there anything we can self-treat with that can kill the eggs as well as the bugs? What about Kleen Green?

Bill

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 1:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not think any of the contact killers kill bed bug eggs.

Bedlam claims to kill eggs but you still have to spray them directly. You have to hit them. You will probably hit few. And Bedlam is not labeled for as wide a use as the contact killers like kleen free/kleen green.

Search the forums, using the search box on the main page for bedlam and MSDS (together) and you should get a link to more info.

16. cantdealanymore

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 13:44:23
    #

Login to Send PM

so essentially what we are all saying is that aside from Bedlam, the freakin eggs are indestructable? I am moving into an anger phase of my bed-bug war. Can I buy DE at Home Depot? Or do I have to get it online, cause I am off to Home Depot to get a better vaccuum, buy some caulk, and turn this apt into fort f-ing Knox. Now I am just pissed -- maybe its because I just worked out, maybe it is because new bites came out on my face and arm while I was at the gym and now I am on a rampage, but whatever it is, I got my fight back. So if anyone is online and gets this in the next 30 mins, is there a good DE at Home Depot? I am going to write some down from the FAQ's, but a rec would be awesome.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 13:55:46
    #

Login to Send PM

cantdeal,

The eggs hatch every 2 weeks or so. So if you are using some treatments with residual effect (not contact killers) and mechanical effect (most powders) these will kill bed bugs as they hatch. If they do, the cycle is broken. Nymphs can't lay eggs, so you need to kill off bed bugs in the first 5 stages of the life cycle, before they breed.

I think you should try and get another PCO to inspect and treat. Some will do this based on bites. I would be surprised if you were not starting to see black specks. (If I am misremembering your details, please forgive me).

A good PCO with bed bug experience will have a better chance of making this go away quickly.

18. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 16:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Cantdeal:

You may end up having to get DE online. I have called Home Depot here in Cincinnati and they don't have it. I don't know where you live, but call your local HD & see what they say. They'll probably suggest, as I will, that you call around to some nurseries, like Frank's or others , which is what I did also, but none of them had it or they had the wrong kind. I think you want to get "Food Grade" Diatomaceous Earth. But good luck finding it locally. Probably need to get it off the Internet. Here's a link to Dirtworks, who sells it:http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html?gclid=CMm5rO_1-44CFRBQgAodlBjQtw. You know what I just thought is some farm store might have food grade DE, if there is a farm store near your area.

Good luck!

Mr Bill

19. Blue_Ox

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 23:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

This brings up the question: WHY is food grade unavailable at local stores?
    Aren't people at stores (hardware stores, Home Depot, etc) catching on to the idea that people need this product?

Yes, it's easy enough place an order online, but living in NYC sometimes it's hard to receive packages. In my old place, basically I had to be home all day if I wanted to get a package. It was a 6-family walkup that had a locked door to the street, so the post office could get in but UPS could not. And even when the postman got in, I wasn't really sure leaving a package in the tiny foyer next to an extremely busy sidewalk was such a great idea.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2007 23:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, this is a problem. It will get better, I think. In the olden times (ie fall 2006) you could barely buy a box of XL ziplocs. First Target had them, but only 4 boxes on the shelf at once. (I bought them out every time.) Then Home Depot picked them up and now they are common. I don't buy for a minute that people are storing their balls and inline skates in them (as per the photo on the box). I think it's bedbuggers buying them up.

And a maybe a few people who bake a lot of cookies at once...

You could probably get some kind of dust at BugOff in Washington Heights. I seem to remember saying that PCO has a little store (I think a lot of them do actually, but you might need to call around).

But PCOs are unlikely to sell straight food grade DE. They seem to prefer the DE dusts with pyrethrins and other stuff added. Which is fine unless you're choosing food grade DE because a pet or child might put it in their mouth or otherwise mess with it.

21. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 14:06:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Just joined, and this is a alte reply. I got my food grade DE at a farmer's supply store. Located one about 20 miles from the small city I live in in Canada.

22. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 16:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe one reason food grade DE is so hard to find in the city is because it's used by farmers (ranchers) mostly to add to their live stock's feed. So the best place to find it might be at a farm products store, like Agway or the Farm Bureau Co-op. Got a cousin in the country who can pick some up for ya?

Mr Bill

23. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 19:45:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Just thought to add this. When buying DE on the internet, most of it is very expensive. I saw one quart of it for $50.00.

I got mine, as I said, at a Farmers supply house; 50 pounds for $27.00 Canadian dollars. Couldn't even lift it!!!! Not only do they feed the abimals with it, but they treat the grain bins with to kill insects.

24. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 20:00:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Great tip, Bites - thanks!

25. mrbill0626

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 20:12:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, if you buy DE online, first of all the price of it is probably higher and you'll have to pay for shipping, which seems to be quite high, more than it would cost you to drive to the nearest farm products store or nursery (if they have it-some nurseries don't have it) and buy it, I would think.

Bill

26. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 8:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Shipping and handling can be just gross. I ordered some Kleen Free this week online. cost of product was $35.00. Cost of shipping was $40.00!!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,414 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams