Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Question About When To Move - How Do You Know?

(4 posts)
  1. BastaBedBugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 27 2013 14:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I find myself wondering about how we'll know we should move. Warning - long post! (Scroll down for bolded question, though.)

We'll be moving in August next year for sure, since our condo will be completed, but until then I'd hoped we could stay put since moving is usually such a hassle. The recent BB issue makes me think about what to do.

My situation at this very moment is quite tolerable - saw a BB a month ago, got first treatment within 5 days and then the second treatment exactly 14 days later. PCO did not see any signs of BB before treating, we didn't find anything in our newbie inspections, and the passive has been clean for 11 days so far. The bites from the one BB I saw was incredibly irritating, but a combination of ointment and allergy pills made it okay; no bites since (though a mysterious irritation on my big toe had me concerned for a while).

In Toronto, it feels like all buildings have BB - either current active infestations, or at least some infestations in the past. Research shows that very, very, very few landlords will pay for inspecting adjacent units - at least, on the first go; many will do it if a repeat infestation happens. Some landlords are definitely more reticent than others to even get a PCO in, and then there are the ones that get the cheapest PCOs available.

My super was very on the ball - I got my treatment papers the day after I told her I had seen a BB. She was slightly misinformed, saying BB don't usually travel between apartments; the building's policy doesn't include inspecting adjacent units. She seemed honest when I asked her about other BB in the building - she told me that 2 others units were being treated on the same day as me (nowhere near me; it's a building with 11 floors and 10 units per floor). She also was honest (after I asked) about the unit above mine having gotten treated two months prior, and about her suspicions regarding a possible active infestation in a unit two away from me.

Can't say much about the PCO that was hired - they're apparently a big company (Magical Pest Control), was one of the first to get heat treatment in Toronto, and used Dragnet+Pyrodust. The customer service was good about answering all my questions, generally erred on the side of caution when telling me about unbagging and sweeping, and I got 1 of 3 girls every time I called (so it's a big set-up). The cards are in place for them to be good, but my natural suspicion gets the better of me.

The building is on the bedbugregistry - along with almost every other one in the neighbourhood. But, as with many buildings nearby, the reports mostly consist of non-BB related issues (washing machines are broken, heat isn't high enough, etc). Most complaints contain "this building is infested with all bugs, including roaches, mice, bedbugs" - kind of seems like paranoia and abstract disgruntle more than anything else, really.

Prior to January 2010, the building had a different super that apparently kept the building "filthy". The current super has been around since then and I moved in November 2011; no real issues with my apartment or building ever since. The reports on the registry prior to my new super do speak about BB - many in a fear-mongering way, some seem genuine - and the few BB-related reports after my new super relate to the person living there "4 years back" or "some time ago", etc.

So, my question:

Based on how responsive my super was, the quality of the PCO hired, and the fact that I've been here for nearly a year and a half without issues, when should I even think about moving due to BB reasons?

Sorry for the abject paranoia! I've dealt with anxiety my entire life, and do tend to easily go overboard. Being informed is my most solid weapon, though it's clearly a double-edged sword.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 27 2013 21:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

If your landlord/super have been very responsive (and it sounds like they have), I wouldn't think of moving. I would think that moving only makes sense if the landlord really does not seem like they will ever get the problem under control.

When you do finally have to move, you might consider whether smaller, detached buildings (like a landlord with one apartment in their house) is an option. While this isn't always an optimal setup, and the building can still get bed bugs, the number of people who can bring them in is seriously reduced, as is the likelihood of having an attached neighbor who is afraid to report a problem, or is willing to "live with" it would seem to go way down.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. buggybrained

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 28 2013 7:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Aaro -

I've been through dealing with bed bugs in my apartment as well. Management were very supportive, great PCO called right in and all seems to be under control now. I'm not really in the position to move at the moment but out of curiosity I started reading up on other complexes in my area and found some real horror stories. Some places even had tenants that were billed for the treatments which had that happened to me it would have been devastating beyond words because there is no way I could have come close to affording it.

I suppose in my opinion it's sort of that old cliche.. the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

With a new condo you'll be in good shape and starting clean with no problems because you'll probably be in good shape where you are until then based on what you have shared with your story. Best of luck!

4. BastaBedBugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 28 2013 15:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Nobugs and buggybrained!

I had a feeling that, logically, the devil I know is much better than the devil I don't...and this one seems pretty manageable at this point. If I had 100% guarantee that I could move into a place with no BB, great landlords, great neighbours...well, I'd probably pinch myself since that would 100% be a dream!

No amount of logic helps with irrational paranoia when it flares up, and it's during those times that I panic ridiculously and think, "Why don't I move now, when the BB are gone?" or "What if my upstairs neighbour moves and they secretly had a huge infestation and it all swarms my unit?" Haha, thinking about it now when I'm calm makes me laugh, at least.

Thanks again!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993