Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

question about vacuums

(7 posts)
  1. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 17:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

They say to vacuum FREQUENTLY when going through a treatment. Fine, will do. what a pain in the butt, moving furniture every time you vacuum.

Is once a day enough?

Also, I do change the bag after every vacuum (expensive to do so i might add) but do i have to worry about re-using the same vacuum every time? Should i worry that bugs are caught maybe in the roller underneath?

Terrified to vacuum, terrified not to.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 19:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Bug Epidemic,

I gather from your other posts that you're using DE. If so, it can harm your vacuum. And it only works if you leave it down. So in your case, vacuuming frequently is not a hot idea.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 12:32:18
    #

Login to Send PM

No, not using DE yet. Don't have it yet.

Just worried about contaminating rooms with my vacuum if bugs get caught in it. Is that a worry I should have? I should be vacuuming frequently, right?
    Using the same vacuum is okay?

Also, if i do sprinkle the DE, worst case scenario is i vacuum it up and break my vacuum? I could live with that.

Nobugsonme - 1 day ago  » 
    Bed Bug Epidemic,
    I gather from your other posts that you're using DE. If so, it can harm your vacuum. And it only works if you leave it down. So in your case, vacuuming frequently is not a hot idea.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 18:08:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Vacuuming DE can also kick it up into the air and your lungs. Not good. I'm not sure that anyone can say how often you must vacuum or if you need to catch every inch. Also, I'd focus on surfaces closest to the bed or the couch, as that's where the bugs (AFAIK) are most likely to be.

There should be FAQ and tips on vacuum use somewhere, but here are a few:
    - seal and toss the bags after use
    - consider sealing up the vacuum (ie XXL ziploc) when not in use.
    - use hard tools only, avoid brushes
    - there's a trick with a knee high sock to catch bugs before they enter the vacuum (search vacuum and sheperdigian).

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 20:08:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I would add that if you don't care if your vacuum breaks, try packtiting it after every use. I have been doing so for 6 months, and my vacuum is fine. I put it for 8 hours after every use, and it's fine. I have an Emer, one of these:
    http://www.emerusa.com/emergalileotop-1.aspx
    I open as much of all the openings as possible to maximize air flow, and I stick the temp probe into the vacuum bag.
    The packtite has already paid for itself just in the cost of vacuum bags alone, which I don't replace after every use bc I packtite the vacuum.

6. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 20:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

8 hours bc i am insane, and want to "be sure".

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 20:23:30
    #

Login to Send PM

There are links to comprehensive bed bug resources in the Resources page (Links page on the main site) such as Stephen Doggett's guide, which go into detail on methods for vacuuming.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula