Question about sofa infestations

(3 posts)
  1. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 29 2019 20:52:07
    #

Login to Send PM

In occurrences of sofa infestation, how likely is it for harbourages to be on the exterior vs the inside framing? I've inspected the exterior a few times and found nothing, but there are multiple ways to the inside framing: where the backrest/armrests meet the base there is a gap that seems to lead to the inside and the underside has a fabric cover that is fairly tightly stapled, but I'm sure there are gaps that bugs could get through. It would be a p.i.t.a. to open the bottom cover.

Photos of my sofa -- the back is about 10 inches from the wall, so it's fairly exposed/bright:

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 29 2019 22:55:52
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were a bed bug I might set up shop where the arm meets the back, right there in that nice little gap. I would think that where the arm meets the front piece the gap would be similar, close to a host and rigid enough to offer good protection. The dust cover on the bottom should tear off quite easily, alternately you could check under the flap that is formed where the dust cover is stapled to the frame, especially at the staples.
    You've still not found any confirming evidence, correct?

3. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 30 2019 19:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Correct, still no evidence. Bites and needling sensations persist.

Have seen three doctors - no indication of a medical explanation. Allergist didn't think my symptoms are due to an allergy, but he didn't have a particularly investigative attitude imo. Tested positive for common seasonal allergies (already knew this) and negative for dust mites. Medical route hasn't yielded much concrete info in identifying or ruling out possible causes.

At this point I'm heavily leaning towards a K9 inspection to at least confidently address the lingering bedbug concern, especially as I have concerns of possible multi-area exposure. I've already done the research (found a company that uses 2 dogs + visual confirmation); I just need to clear it with my landlord.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs