Question about passive monitor placement

(9 posts)
  1. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 2 2014 14:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, especially David Cain,

I bought two passive monitors for my new abode and am a little confused about where to place them. I don't own this place or live here alone, so I'm working with what's here. One bed has an upholstered headboard; the mattress has been encased (but not with bb-type encasements, but with a plastic protective encasement), and it's hard to reach and look at the box spring for monitoring because of the way the mattress and box spring are attached to the headboard. The other bed is quite large with a heavy mattress and box spring (mattress also encased in the same way), and a heavy cast iron headboard.

In spite of the video in the FAQ's, I seem to remember reading that it's not a great idea to place the monitor on the wall behind the bed.

In the case of the first bed, is it acceptable to place the monitor on the upholstered headboard behind the mattress/box spring? In the case of the second bed, what is the recommended placement given the heaviness of the bed components and my physical limitations? Thank you for any answers!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 2 2014 14:45:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It would really help if you could provide an image to clarify what you mean because when I read it all I am picking up is that this is all standard install as her the images on FlickR advice here.

You are correct that the wall is not the correct place to install.

When there is a headboard that attaches to the box spring then the box spring next tot he wooden legs if it has them is correct.

The install sites are all commonly in locations which you should normally be accessing while cleaning the bed frame once a month.

If you link images I will see able to see better.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 2 2014 20:08:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

sorry, I was having problems with uploading pictures but this should work now. Hopefully these are reasonably clear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125104462@N02/

Thanks,

s

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 9:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes they are both standard.

With the headboard you could place in line with the box spring on the headboard as long as they are effectively touching.

Otherwise the box spring should be exposed as you clean behind the bed once a month.

David

5. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 12:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thank you. Is there a general guide I can refer to that shows where the standard placement should go on the box spring?

Thanks again.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 12:50:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, the master set of instructions comes from here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/passivebedbugmonitorstechnical%20notes%20prototype%20final%20copy.pdf

I may tidy it up and relink it to something more logically named on the next web session.

David

7. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 15:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again. One last question, if I may: if just one person is sleeping in a bed, should the monitor go right under where that person sleeps (on their "side of the bed") or should it always go in the center of the bed (at the very top of the box spring if I understand the diagram correctly)? Thanks!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2014 17:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The center is fine, if the bed is in a corner then it's more towards the "dark corner". As long it offers a perfect home close to food bedbugs will at least explore it and show signs.

It really is that simple.

David

9. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2014 19:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Close to food, yikes

Thanks for the answers, David.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs