Question about Packtite passive monitor

(8 posts)
  1. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:07:34
    #

Login to Send PM

(old thread with picture is here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/trying-to-determine-if-my-move-was-successful)

David,

I just purchased two more of the passive monitors, and I want to be sure I am using them correctly.

Just as a quick history of my situation:

We live in a rowhome (long block of houses all attached to each other). Almost certain the infestation was a one time event caused by my wife's stay at a hospital for 3 days of maternity.

Bed bugs confirmed 6/22
    Heat treatment 6/28
    Installed monitors 7/1
    Found another live bug 7/2
    PCO treated with DE 7/3
    Found another live bug 7/6
    PCO will be treating with steam and additional DE tomorrow and will re-heat the house if anything after that

I installed two packtite monitors on the two beds in the house. I installed both on the box spring (I don't have a headboard) at the head of the bed as close to the top of the box spring as possible (I use encasements, which are crap as you stated previously). I placed it right at the location you noted in the picture you posted above. Both monitors have been clear, but I know for certain that there have been live bugs in the master bedroom. The two bugs I've found have been underneath the box spring on the encasement (in the same exact location) just about a foot from the monitor. Is there a chance that the bugs have already set up their colony and won't congregate to the monitor? Is there a chance that the heat treatment knocked the vast majority of the bugs out, and the reason the bugs aren't congregating to the monitor is that there are just a few around?

The other monitor in the middle bedroom has been clear, and I've seen no evidence otherwise of live bedbugs in that room. Just a couple of dead ones after the heat treatment.

Also, I just purchased two more because I want to put one on the couch. I have a chaise lounge attached to a three person sofa. It looks like an L, with the long part of the L against (well, about 6 inches from now that we've had the bedbug issue) the party wall that seperates my house from my neighbor's. What is the best location on the sofa for the monitor?

Just want to be sure I'm doing things correctly. Once we get rid of these bugs, I need to be sure I'm taking the right steps to monitor.

Thanks for the help, David.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Your Rowhouse is our Terraced row which make up about 25% of all housing stock in the UK so we are rather familiar with them. What people are often not aware about them is that they usually have a half brick missing every two bricks at the sub floor level.

In a number of complex cases we have traced the source of the bedbugs back to this feature and precisely to the fact that houses 1 - 7 units away had mice and through the use of foggers and aerosols the bedbugs had sought shelter and alternative food with the mice who happily carried them down the row. As mice will often have "food" homes and "sleeping" homes this means they can get passed between properties even if you have not seen the usual signs of mouse activity. We sometimes test this using a "blank" bait to see if they take it as food.

If you install between the mattress and the base you need to make sure the bedbugs can still get to the edge, this is why there is an overlap of the green rectangle in the image:

USmetalriserBoxBaseBedencased by bedbugscouk, on Flickr

More recently I have suggested that people move to the better install location below using a cloth to drop down on the back of the encasement, effectively this link without the tape:

http://i.imgur.com/nXfMtFn.jpg

Bedbugs will move from existing harbourages into the Passive Monitor simply because it is a more optimal location and a "safer" home for them (based on physiological preferences and behavior modeling) but it may take a little time, its faster with the Passive+ Monitors but they are not readily available at this stage. It may take a feeding cycle or two which is why we say 14 days. Oddly enough they will often defecate on the detection skirt even if they do not decide to move in on that occasion. As revealed by the work of Stephen Kells BB faeces is actually self aggregating so the first to visit actually encourage others to use the device as well.

With regards the sofa its the underside of the most occupied seat, if you mainly occupy the chaise section (as I would (would if I did not prefer my chiropodist chair in my lounge (its chaise to a whole new level - a hydraulic one))) then its in the right angle corner where the extension meets the other seats.

I would strongly advise that you ask people about mice issues (less stigma than BB's) and also look into communication of the BB basics to 10 houses either side of you.

Hope that makes sense and thanks for posting this as a fresh thread, it helps because when this post is tagged it will help others looking for Rowhouse advice and the rodent transmission may be the missing link they are seeking.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:46:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I currently have it installed on both beds in the "red" location in your picture embedded in the post. I will move it to the piece of fabric per your drawing.

I will definitely check out the mouse thing. The reason we think it's a one time event is because we put all the luggage into the middle room when we got home from the hospital, and that was the obvious epicenter of the infestation.

I do spend most of the time on the chaise. Quite comfortable there. So, you're saying that I'd place the monitor on the underside of that seat at the 90 degree angle formed by the chaise meeting the long end of the sofa. The inside angle of the L, so to speak.

Thanks for all your help. Your posts (not just in this thread) are extremely helpful for someone like me that is dealing with bed bugs for the first time and a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 14:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I appreciate you may accept obvious but I am know for being thorough as well as being blunt. There are a lot of clients who have met me having failed to follow my written advice and the verbal instruction of my technical team only for me to walk into their home and within 60 seconds of being in the bedroom I tell them what they have been doing wrong and how they are getting bedbugs.

I am sure you can appreciate that biological things have patterns to them. Sometimes complex like a snowflake but other times simple like the leaf pattern on a tree (Fibonacci's constant). The trick is to have seen enough data to be able to read the signs are relate back to the previous cases. A lady today was shocked when she realised I told her "the source of your bedbugs is your husbands sitting on public transport". I did not feel the need to ask her if her husband or her sat down or used it, I knew 100% it was him and via that source. I would hate for your to be a distressed woe is me three months down the line because you were certain you know what the source was and that you have no responsibility for it. Best check and be certain that go a few rounds and eventually concede.

Yes the install is correct, if you can get a picture I can add it to the archive of images to help others.

Also thanks for your kind words, I was off ill at the start of the week and have had a massive amount of catching up to do as well as rescheduling missed appointments and a nice word helps keep me motivated to carry on helping.

David

5. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 14:22:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent. I will certainly get you a picture and sign up for one of those sites to post it and throw them up on this thread.

Trust me, I can appreciate the thoroughness. I feel lucky in that I found a PCO that is very thorough and is going to stick with this until we're bedbug free. Seems like the people of the UK are lucky to have a PCO in you that's so thorough and involved on their side.

6. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 15:38:50
    #

Login to Send PM

David, here are the pics. The drooping of the encasement caused them to be a little lower than I originally placed them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126017986@N05/14646741305/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126017986@N05/14646333032/

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 8:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would suggest you move them up so that they are as closer to the join between the mattress and the base as possible.

With regards your post, thanks for the compliments, I personally feel its a shame that there are not more US professionals who are willing to be "professional" and see beyond the latest marketing spin from the toxic spray jockies. I have met a few good ones in the US but often they are too busy to participate in this forum but I do get to speak to them in other places.

Hope that helps.

David

8. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2014 14:08:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I moved the monitors much closer to where the box spring meets the mattress and also put a monitor on the underside of the chaise lounge. Now, I am just going to let them be and do their thing. I've spent the last 3 weeks turning the rooms upside down every day looking for signs of further bedbug activity. I'm going to just check the monitors every few days until the 14 days mark going forward.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies