Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Question about Moving and Storage

(2 posts)
  1. Nzmightsg

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2016 21:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

I am always going to be paranoid about bed bugs because I watched a friend suffer and she went through one hell of a time trying to rid of them, so I learned too to be vigilant!

Last year, I moved out of an old place (I was still in school) and packed up half my clothes in a used cardboard box I found in my school's box storage, where they keep old cardboard boxes used for shipping. I put the clothes first in a trash bag, but shipped them in this old box to my family's home. It has been sitting in the garage for a few months, but now that I think about it there is a chance the box may have been harboring any eggs or nymphs...

So my question is, if it has been sitting in a garage untouched by people for at least 8 months, should I still be cautious about the clothes inside? Thanks again for all your help, everyone. This site is godsend.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 16 2016 2:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you are just concerned because you used a used box, is that right? If so, chances are probably slim.

If bed bugs were in the box for eight months, and they could get out (for example, they were in the cardboard and not in a sealed bag inside it), my understanding is if people have been present, they are likely to have left the box to feed. Your family would probably have noticed if this happened.

That said, it can never hurt to treat the clothing (a hot dryer for 30 minutes should be safe for most items if they start out clean and dry) and get rid of the box.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus